The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: CRAPPIE CONUNDRUM  (Read 350 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
CRAPPIE CONUNDRUM
« on: Feb 06, 2012, 04:51 AM »
Fished a new pond the other day. cayght a togue, lost another. We were looking for crappies. The biologist, locals and the bait guy that live right on the pond say the place is loaded with big crappies. They all said no one fishes em except a few in open water. Some background. The lake is about 3 miles long and 1.5 miles wide. lots of deep water and structure with weed beds at one end. There are massive togue, big salmon and brookies. The bait guy had mounts and lots of pics. Coming off the lake Mad trapper was told the pond is slow cause the place is loaded with smelt (I caught a few jigging, had a massive cloud of em under me chasing the jig at one point)

OK, the crappies are there. We couldn’t catch ONE. Believe me I tried, walked about 4.5 miles digging and jigging. If Iived closer I would give it some time. Could it be they are so full of needle smelt the bite is wicked short? Would smelt looking jigs help? Any recommendations???

PM me if you have an idea and I’ll tell ya what lake it is so you can look at the survey. I woul dgive it another day if a couple of you guys wanna go ahuntin. Only have two full days left.......Time and tide......

WOW! you should see the togue that come outta that place. The bait guy caught a 13.5#er of his dock last year and has caught bigger.

"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
Re: CRAPPIE CONUNDRUM
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2012, 05:01 AM »
sounds like an interesting place. pm sent
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.