Author Topic: For the summer folk on Ice shanty - Livescope rocks!  (Read 1823 times)

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
For the summer folk on Ice shanty - Livescope rocks!
« on: Jun 21, 2020, 04:50 PM »
I know most folks are now on to other things. But, I tried an obvious technique this week with my Livescope and it rocks!  Basically, I wait for a calm day and put my Livescope on the boat (or canoe) and go onto the lake at a good spot and jig with my 8 foot trolling pole with the same tube jigs, etc. that I use on the ice.  I read the Livescope the same as when iced fishing - only I am warn and on soft water. Better yet, a light breeze lets you troll this way...

I went to a remote lake in the BWCA and in 2 hours caught 7 nice Lake Trout. I tried the same set-up yesterday and caught a great Laker and played with the Rainbows. I am now convinced that in the summer both the large Lakers and Rainbows are below the thermalcline. I had WAY MORE FUN fishing with my Livescope jigging than trolling (even though I do very well trolling).

I hope that this approach might be useful for some of the Ice Shanty folk.

Thanks
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
Re: For the summer folk on Ice shanty - Livescope rocks!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 2020, 06:38 AM »
Don't have the live scope, but I use my helix or vex and a 38" tickle stick and jig all day long. I have the trolling motor mount transducers for both. I am sure your set up is less of a hassle with the range of vision you have, but I have my set up dialed in and it works fine for what I am after.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2020, 07:27 AM »
I know most folks are now on to other things. But, I tried an obvious technique this week with my Livescope and it rocks!  Basically, I wait for a calm day and put my Livescope on the boat (or canoe) and go onto the lake at a good spot and jig with my 8 foot trolling pole with the same tube jigs, etc. that I use on the ice.  I read the Livescope the same as when iced fishing - only I am warn and on soft water. Better yet, a light breeze lets you troll this way...

What do you find works better, down view or forward?  I played with my Livescope on the boat a little last summer backtrolling, the transducer was mounted on a pole near the transom where my electric motor is, I found it was difficult to keep the jig in sight, even in less than 30' of water walleye fishing, any thoughts or tricks?

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2020, 03:52 PM »
Skywagon

It has to be nearly dead calm to work. I think that a drift sock would work well for windier situations. I am going to try it next time.

I was VERY fun.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2020, 12:45 PM »
That’s the main reason I bought my panoptix, not livescope but still works. Needs to be dead calm, or in a boat with spot lock. I have it in a length of 3/4” pvc that I stuck in a trolling motor bracket, makes it portable and I can scan as we move or fish. Down view for jigging, forward for trolling and casting.
https://northlandmarine.com/collections/transom-brackets/products/transom-bracket-assembly-2991815a

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jun 24, 2020, 06:02 AM »
That’s the main reason I bought my panoptix, not livescope but still works. Needs to be dead calm, or in a boat with spot lock. I have it in a length of 3/4” pvc that I stuck in a trolling motor bracket, makes it portable and I can scan as we move or fish. Down view for jigging, forward for trolling and casting.
https://northlandmarine.com/collections/transom-brackets/products/transom-bracket-assembly-2991815a

I used an old trolling motor, but that bracket is sure cheap enough.

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jun 24, 2020, 06:37 AM »
Uncut angling just put out a new video using livescope for Lakers and walleye, it's almost cheating!!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jun 25, 2020, 02:53 PM »
Just tried out my drift sock and it worked great in a 10 mph wind. Only 20 foot of drifting in 80 feet of water.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jun 26, 2020, 05:30 AM »
I've been experimenting in a tube only with a attached 1/2 boogie-surf board and flasher in tow. I think a drift sock or small anchor is still needed for vertical jigging.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jun 29, 2020, 09:43 AM »
I've been experimenting in a tube only with a attached 1/2 boogie-surf board and flasher in tow. I think a drift sock or small anchor is still needed for vertical jigging.

I would like to see that rig in action!

:)

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jun 30, 2020, 09:27 AM »
I'll take a couple pics from water and some clos-ups from shore it's a very simple set-up.  1/2 tube and 1/2 childs Styrofoam board with a rubber piece connecting the 2     I sit on this now but could add seats and fins

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.