Author Topic: What do you do to pass the time when fishing is slow?  (Read 13099 times)

Offline ice725

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re:What do you do to pass the time when fishing is slow?
« Reply #60 on: Jan 23, 2004, 07:23 PM »
if all else fails and you are extremely board, or just want to have fun try seagull fishing.  take a jigging road and put a minnow on it then cast it onto the ice.  every time a gull is about to pick it up yank it away. if you feel bad about it after youa re done throw the minnow out there for it. ;D :'(

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #61 on: Jan 23, 2004, 07:28 PM »
I pull up one trap and go over to the old holes that were cut and start to jig them. Drink a little southern comfort for warmth and catch a few bluegills, perch or crappie hate to get skunked might as well fish. ;D I find when I start doing that is when the flags will hit go figure ???

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

crappie_daddy

« Reply #62 on: Jan 24, 2004, 12:04 AM »
Milwaukee's Best ICE

Fishbones

« Reply #63 on: Jan 24, 2004, 12:43 AM »
I always start to do the cooking and pass out cups of "The Bone Warmer" to everyone who's with me,serve breakfast or what have you,have a smoke,some more of the "potion",start checking bait,and moving holes and traps, and then the "Secret Weapon" comes out I fill my limit and go home happy.

Icelline115

« Reply #64 on: Jan 24, 2004, 11:03 AM »
I go out a lot by myself. there is nothing like the peace and quite. If it gets real slow ill turn on the radio and just sit back for a few beers, freshen up some lines and start fishin again. sometimes i'll pull up everything and move.

Offline The Clam

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icin' eyes
« Reply #65 on: Jan 24, 2004, 01:38 PM »
Enjoy a cold one (or two), pull out a stogey, go visit the neighbors.  Practical jokes are a must!  Check the tipups.  Pull out the binoculars.  Change the radio station 'cus the fish obviously don't like what you're listening to. Enjoy a cold one (or two)...Oops I already said that.  Oh well we repeat that one a couple times.  Talk about the nice shanty we're going to build next summer, the changes we want to the one we were going to build last summer, and the summer before, and the summer before and the summ...  Remember, you could be sitting home listening to your wife repeatedly ask if you are going to do anything today.  
Fish may be stupid but I've never seen a perch sitting in a boat with a second degree sun burn trying to catch a man.

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
« Reply #66 on: Jan 24, 2004, 01:54 PM »
Fishbones i like your qoute. It brings back visions of peoples arm waving all around and trying to keep their balance. Just had a few funny experiences with that.
Great qoute

don h.

« Reply #67 on: Jan 24, 2004, 02:12 PM »
DRINK, DRINK AND MORE DRINK.

new2theice

« Reply #68 on: Jan 24, 2004, 02:30 PM »
Seems like l'm always checking and rechecking my holes.   For me, its more out of bordom due to the fact that l haven't scored as of yet ... thats right, not one fish but this is only my 2nd year on the ice.
My buddy that got me started says l'm a jinx as he always had hits before l started coming along ... l think he's b/sing me because he's not doing any better than me ...  ;D

Offline Shaggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 24, 2004, 07:07 PM »
What do I do to pass the time when fishing is slow?

Go drill more holes somewhere else and keep moving around until it isn't slow anymore.

Being able to pack up and move somewhere else in 5 min or under is key

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #70 on: Jan 24, 2004, 10:37 PM »
Fishing gets slow? Never had that happen.
So now I am stumped on what to say.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #71 on: Jan 25, 2004, 04:06 AM »
I know what the asphalt kid does. he eats corn. hahaha
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline bushman-wi

• IceShanty Rookie
  • wisc. goatboy
« Reply #72 on: Jan 25, 2004, 09:41 PM »
me and the goat wife play alot of cribbage,oops, stripe cribbage in the shack.   bushman ;D
chasing flags and drinking beer, what a life!

Offline frostbite

• IceShanty Rookie
  • There is no thrill without the chill!!!
« Reply #73 on: Jan 25, 2004, 11:50 PM »
I've got a twelve volt tv and dvd player in the shack that I power with my deep cycle battery, works great for football season and I can rent a movie if I'm going out by myself.
A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work.

Offline afishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #74 on: Jan 26, 2004, 12:40 AM »
Maybe it's a Wyoming thing, but my drink of choice is Peppermint Schnopps. I do the gauntlet. You may ask what is a gauntlet? I drill 10 to 15 holes down the line that my Fishin Buddy shows fish on, and try different jiggin rigs and baits. If still no luck I check the F.B. again on a different direction and drill more holes. Usually the first or second gauntlet will find me a honey hole or two. But had a 2 day derby that my brother and I drilled over 100 holes,fishin with 2 rod each,every bait and jig in the box and didn't even get a bite, most of the folks we talked with at dinner and breakfast hadn't had any luck either.  ???  STAYWARM afishingfool

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
« Reply #75 on: Jan 26, 2004, 05:10 AM »
Pour a cup of coffee. It never fails to set off a flag and when you get back, the coffee is ice cold.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #76 on: Jan 26, 2004, 06:55 AM »
Seems like l'm always checking and rechecking my holes.   For me, its more out of bordom due to the fact that l haven't scored as of yet ... thats right, not one fish but this is only my 2nd year on the ice.
My buddy that got me started says l'm a jinx as he always had hits before l started coming along ... l think he's b/sing me because he's not doing any better than me ...  ;D
NOPE NO B.S. YOU'RE A JINX

maine-ly backward

« Reply #77 on: Jan 26, 2004, 08:18 AM »
I'm retired and I  go fishing during the week rather than the weekend. I try to remain as quiet as possible and observe what is going on aound me. Here in Maine, during the week, you can be on a lake all by yourself. I have seen moose, deer, and coyotes out on the lake and have enjoyed watching them.

Cha-Chi

« Reply #78 on: Jan 26, 2004, 06:25 PM »
I like the "throw a snowball at your friends tip-up" one, I'll have to try that.

but normally i go out with an axe and just chisel into the ice a little, make a picture or something like that.

I like to observe the wildlife too, one time I saw a bird of prey of some sort, and it was late in the day with only me and 1 other person out on the ice, and the Bird was going hole to hole looking for dead minows and drinking the water.

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #79 on: Jan 26, 2004, 06:40 PM »
Make buttermilk pancakes, sausage and eggs for the 3 of us. Play cribbage, b***h about our wives of 30 plus years. Make more hot chocolate, drill some holes and re-set minnows on tip ups. Eat donuts and more hot chocolate, re-set minnows and oh yes, the cribbage game goes on all the while that this is happening. Then go home and tell wives how we risked our lives to put fresh fish on their table and how we nearly froze to death ( in spit ;De of fact had the tent heated to about 65) or whatever and then go back next Saturday and do it all over again,  life is great.
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline Ottawa_fish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #80 on: Jan 26, 2004, 06:50 PM »
Take my staff and move to another place.

ice_boy

« Reply #81 on: Jan 27, 2004, 01:41 AM »
i take my dvd player with me and watch huntin movies or ill bring my little TV.

fishguts.

« Reply #82 on: Jan 27, 2004, 09:23 AM »
what i usualy do is grab a bottle of brandy to go with the coores lite i have, open the cap, throw it away {woun't be needin it again} ;D then try and draw pee art in the snow !

Offline Steady_Eddie

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #83 on: Jan 27, 2004, 12:00 PM »
Only did it once, hit golf balls with a driver.
Go a long way until they hit the snow.
Minimum lower body movement is crucial.
All the golf balls were retrieved.

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #84 on: Jan 27, 2004, 10:15 PM »
I usually go and yalk to other fisherman. I love drilling many holes and it is quite rare it is to slow but when I am confined to my shack I will just watch my aqua-view and study the patterns of the fish with the different lure that I will try.
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

black ice

« Reply #85 on: Jan 28, 2004, 07:30 AM »
 I just ah keep onaplugg'n holes... and and chex w/ vex....

maltrout

« Reply #86 on: Jan 28, 2004, 10:10 AM »
I usaully will either move spots, change lakes, change target species, or if I am feeling lazy I will just sit and hope they start biting.

Offline GSP_Pike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That’s why they call it fishing.
Re: What do you do to pass the time when fishing is slow?
« Reply #87 on: Jan 25, 2020, 10:03 AM »
Take a nap, eat, stretch.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Jan 25, 2020, 10:04 AM »
Watch fish not biting on my Livescope and see what I can do to change that - which sometimes is not much.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Jan 25, 2020, 10:36 AM »
I drill more holes. Fish sometimes move deeper after feeding. Sometimes they just move after being spooked by catching some of school. I am also looking for more details/info on spot. weeds, breaks, rocks, etc. I spent several days following a school of perch back and forth on a area about 75 yards long. I would catch a few, they would move about 20 yards. They would get to about 10 feet of water in back of cove and then make their way back to where I started. caught fish all day because I kept moving with them. I also will organize tackle. Tie up more rods with lures that were working earlier or change to baits that I think may work since conditions have changed. Things like sun higher, clouds increased and pressure rising or falling can change what fish are feeding on. For example: glow jigs have worked for me in the low light in the morning or evening, but dont work in the middle of the day when sun is high in the sky. I sometimes will leave that area completely to go scope out other areas to gather info and then come back to spot later in the day. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.