Author Topic: Vexilar FLX28 Transducer Wars  (Read 13165 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Vexilar FLX28 Transducer Wars
« Reply #30 on: Jan 07, 2018, 04:28 PM »
yeah I know.i was just wondering why people say their display is blobby in shallow water..and yeah I broke the mid section of a old 9ft crappie pole so I used the top half and made a ice rod out of it.real nice tip that does not need a indicator.i don't like auto mode either.

Depending on the lake and conditions I've had it where the display can't be cleaned up and is blobby.....And was able to clear the tri beam up better.

Nice love the crappie. Got a few myself yesterday night. With them being light biters I found the black Betty fly reel and an UL Rod to be the ticket......I'd just slowly slowly reel up and the fish would be on.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #31 on: Jan 07, 2018, 06:11 PM »
Reading the flx28 manual, it says the higher you turn up the gain, the wider the cone angle you are seeing? Is that the way it works?

I think it should be made the other way around. So in deeper water, you can turn up the gain to see a smaller jig, and narrow the cone for deep use. Then turn gain down in shallow for a wider view.  Ive never used a proview. Or a tri beam. Been a while since I've used a Vexilar for that matter. Guess I'd have to see the Proview in action to understand it better.

I would think the tri beam would allow for more variables.  Wide beam in shallow. Or narrow beam in shallow weeds with a lower gain setting. I assume the weed setting on the 28 compensates for that?
with the flx28 and proview you rarely lose your jig so just turn the gain to see whats outside your hole then narrow it down to see fish directly underneath you.i don't lose my 3mm jig with 1 spike on it very often or at all really.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #32 on: Jan 07, 2018, 06:14 PM »
like I said I'm just trying to help guys out not get into some pissing match over whats better.just showing guys that have or might want to buy a vexilar and wondering about the proview.i have about every model of ducer vexilar makes  and have no problems with any of them.oh yeah I got skunked today but not because of the ducer.lol

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
« Reply #33 on: Jan 08, 2018, 12:14 PM »
Holy smokes guys I had no idea this thread would catch as much attention as it has haha.

I couldn’t resist, I went against my better judgement and took the FLX20 with it yesterday as the Walleye reports were to much for me to handle not taking the Vex with me.

Sitting out over 16’ of river water, Slight current and first time out with this new Vex since not having my old FL-18 I sold like 5yrs ago and was anxious to see how she’d perform. Granted with the bit of current and me wanting to crank sensitivity back just so I had a “thin” green line showing.

Low power/zoom/3 colour mode, unless I had rod tip as close as possible to ducer cable that 12* wouldn’t pick it up initially. That was in the morning. Went back to same area and got up onto a drop off for the afternoon and I felt more comfortable with it but I truly feel “IF” these Tri beams are as strong as say a single cone ducer, in my Humble opinion, I can’t see why it isn’t the one for my fishing situations.

Thinking how much of an inconvenience especially spending as much money on these Ice Cadillacs with say the Proview then having to think oh ok so it’s to powerful in 16’ so I need to adjust go to 30’ scale etc etc, man I just wanna fish. Again, and maybe I’ll have a different opinion if and when I get the Tribeam, but wouldn’t it be nice if say over that 16’ of the 12* is having a hard time picking it up because of say current, flip over to the 20* and be done with it !!??

One other thing I noticed with the DD-100 yesterday, it only once showed the actual depth, was all over the place mostly showing 68’, 34’. Any idea what could cause that.

I really think I’m gonna call Vex to see if they’ll help me out and swap this proview for the tribeam and be done with it.
Grant me another day on the Ice

Offline CHM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 08, 2018, 12:32 PM »
with the flx28 and proview you rarely lose your jig so just turn the gain to see whats outside your hole then narrow it down to see fish directly underneath you.i don't lose my 3mm jig with 1 spike on it very often or at all really.

I have a 22 HD with Pro View.  This is my first Vex, and I like it.  Yesterday I was fishing a private pond.  I fished from 9' out to 16', on the 10' and 20' scales.  I tried low power mode when in 9'.  I could see my tiny tungsten jig with and without one spike.  I had the spike come off the hook on one drop and watched just the spike fall all the way down in 14' of water - I was hoping a fish would eat it.  I was able to get a fine green line for my jig. I caught three little sunfish about 4" long, and I saw every one rise up to my jig.  I need more time with the Pro View before I really know anything.

Tomorrow I am going again and I will play with increasing the gain more to widen the cone.  Getting the Tri-Beam is on my "maybe" list.
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #35 on: Jan 08, 2018, 12:59 PM »
Holy smokes guys I had no idea this thread would catch as much attention as it has haha.

I couldn’t resist, I went against my better judgement and took the FLX20 with it yesterday as the Walleye reports were to much for me to handle not taking the Vex with me.

Sitting out over 16’ of river water, Slight current and first time out with this new Vex since not having my old FL-18 I sold like 5yrs ago and was anxious to see how she’d perform. Granted with the bit of current and me wanting to crank sensitivity back just so I had a “thin” green line showing.

Low power/zoom/3 colour mode, unless I had rod tip as close as possible to ducer cable that 12* wouldn’t pick it up initially. That was in the morning. Went back to same area and got up onto a drop off for the afternoon and I felt more comfortable with it but I truly feel “IF” these Tri beams are as strong as say a single cone ducer, in my Humble opinion, I can’t see why it isn’t the one for my fishing situations.

Thinking how much of an inconvenience especially spending as much money on these Ice Cadillacs with say the Proview then having to think oh ok so it’s to powerful in 16’ so I need to adjust go to 30’ scale etc etc, man I just wanna fish. Again, and maybe I’ll have a different opinion if and when I get the Tribeam, but wouldn’t it be nice if say over that 16’ of the 12* is having a hard time picking it up because of say current, flip over to the 20* and be done with it !!??

One other thing I noticed with the DD-100 yesterday, it only once showed the actual depth, was all over the place mostly showing 68’, 34’. Any idea what could cause that.

I really think I’m gonna call Vex to see if they’ll help me out and swap this proview for the tribeam and be done with it.
you will still find yourself fine tuning gain and switching the tribeam switch for different situations.i found the proview a tad bit easier just turning the gain a little instead of switching the tribeams manual switch and still tweaking the gain.jmo I have both but I for sure would not buy a tribeam to switch out the proview.i don't see a reason to exchange really either.jmo.so your dd 100 was not reading the correct depth?weird.my flx 28 will jump depth screens every once in awhile because its not fully locked on bottom in auto mode.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 08, 2018, 02:07 PM »
interesting doc.  when we used the proview in <10 there was no way to widen the beam and not introduce a crap ton of clutter onto the screen.  you could still make out your jig but you made out everything else too.   and we couldn't turn it down enough in lp/weed mode to get the thin line.   

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #37 on: Jan 08, 2018, 02:25 PM »
On the FLX28 ...you can change the color palate to remove the green signal in shallow water. .30 mark

https://www.facebook.com/vexilarinc/videos/1666983793327646/
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 08, 2018, 02:29 PM »
I’ve said it in the past, and I’ll say it again.  The ProView is nothing more than a really good 9 degree transducer.  If you mainly fish shallow water, I’d opt for the Tri-Beam.  I’d say it’s a pretty kick a$$ unit for deep water though!   No matter what anyone says, it’s not possible to change the output cone using the gain control.  You can turn it up and hear a lot more noise though, that’s for sure.   I think Vexilar should have tried to do what Marcum does with their dual beam ducers.  They work very well and is a good compromise.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #39 on: Jan 08, 2018, 02:42 PM »
interesting doc.  when we used the proview in <10 there was no way to widen the beam and not introduce a crap ton of clutter onto the screen.  you could still make out your jig but you made out everything else too.   and we couldn't turn it down enough in lp/weed mode to get the thin line.
yeah you could see in my pics that I have the gain up almost half way and could turn it up all the way and it  still wouldn't be that blobby.

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
« Reply #40 on: Jan 08, 2018, 06:13 PM »
I called today and had a Very Brief chat with Tom over at Vexilar because I wanted to talk with someone that knew this stuff. He said the FLX-28 WAS DESIGNED for the PROVIEW... he said by using the Tribeam, I will lose the auto depth and also the digital depth display which honestly I could care less about and I feel would be a fair trade off for a simplistic turn on and go type flasher no matter what depth I’m in like my ol FL18 was.

I mentioned the shallower waters I typically fish and he said they all in their area fish under 10’ and that setup works perfectly. He suggested I try it first before wanting to try any other Transducer.

He did say in shallower depths with river currents another hole will need to be drilled to get that ducer over top of our drifting presentation.

He said I could have a faulty unit being the digital display isn’t working properly

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #41 on: Jan 08, 2018, 06:25 PM »
that's what I was saying basically.good luck with whatever ducer you choose.all models are good.im officially done with the proview tri beam debate.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 08, 2018, 07:17 PM »
I called today and had a Very Brief chat with Tom over at Vexilar because I wanted to talk with someone that knew this stuff. He said the FLX-28 WAS DESIGNED for the PROVIEW... he said by using the Tribeam, I will lose the auto depth and also the digital depth display which honestly I could care less about and I feel would be a fair trade off for a simplistic turn on and go type flasher no matter what depth I’m in like my ol FL18 was.

I can't say I've ever spoke to tom....but He is 100% wrong from my experience using a tribeam on a FLX28.

I bought just the FLX 28 head and have ran it with my dual beam and a tri beam. With the tribeam on my FLX28 I still get digital depth and I still have auto mode/depth. It reads it just fine.

The only time my DD readings are weird on my 18,20, or 22 is when you flip them to LP mode......I can't remember if the DD on the 28 goes weird if you put it in LP or not.......I'm think it does but not sure. So if the DD doesn't read right in LP mode what good would it be with a proview, which typically needs to be in LP mode in shallow water?

I have a feeling that this so called revolutionary Proview transducer is not going over like they thought it would. A lot of people want to trade them for tribeams or opt for single beam Transducers.

Don't get me wrong the Proview works and will catch fish, I just haven't been impressed with it. The tribeam however has allowed me to do things that has impressed me.

If this proview worked so well and was so revolutionary for transducers......I would think other companies would start copying or mimicking the proview.......nobody is to my knowledge.

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
« Reply #43 on: Jan 30, 2018, 03:08 PM »
Update, well guys since having the New FLX-28 for the past 3 weeks or so, I’ve used it about 5 times thus far.

I’ve only fished in depths from 8’-16’ fishing for both yellow perch and eyes...

I found using Auto depth/Low Power/Zoom, with the sensitivity bs led down as Low as it can go, that ProView is too strong and no matter what colour mode I use, I can’t adjust fine enough, BUT if I go from Auto Depth Range to the 20’ scale then no problem I can reduce sensitivity/gain low enough to have a nice thing green line or even make bait disappear.

One thing I have noticed is the digital depth display/readout doesn’t work while using the 20’ range but works fine in Auto. Seems strange

Being the 9* ducer is so narrow when using swim baits like a jiggin rap or my favourite, CD-5 Salmo Chubby Darters, this setup will not read until that bait makes its way back into the centre of cone signal.

If I thought the Tribeam would truly be superior to cover my needs over this ProView, especially when 95% of my time on the ice is spent chasing yella bellies and pickerel haha walleye in waters less than 16’ I’d make the call to the good people at Vexilar in hopes to do an exchange even if it cost me a few bucks to do that.

Overall I love the FLX28 compared to the 18 I had for about 5yrs and FLX 20 I briefly owned until the 28 arrived. Now to just figure out what I want to do over this transducer. Tnx guys.

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 30, 2018, 03:28 PM »
Update, well guys since having the New FLX-28 for the past 3 weeks or so, I’ve used it about 5 times thus far.

I’ve only fished in depths from 8’-16’ fishing for both yellow perch and eyes...

I found using Auto depth/Low Power/Zoom, with the sensitivity bs led down as Low as it can go, that ProView is too strong and no matter what colour mode I use, I can’t adjust fine enough, BUT if I go from Auto Depth Range to the 20’ scale then no problem I can reduce sensitivity/gain low enough to have a nice thing green line or even make bait disappear.

One thing I have noticed is the digital depth display/readout doesn’t work while using the 20’ range but works fine in Auto. Seems strange

Being the 9* ducer is so narrow when using swim baits like a jiggin rap or my favourite, CD-5 Salmo Chubby Darters, this setup will not read until that bait makes its way back into the centre of cone signal.

If I thought the Tribeam would truly be superior to cover my needs over this ProView, especially when 95% of my time on the ice is spent chasing yella bellies and pickerel haha walleye in waters less than 16’ I’d make the call to the good people at Vexilar in hopes to do an exchange even if it cost me a few bucks to do that.

Overall I love the FLX28 compared to the 18 I had for about 5yrs and FLX 20 I briefly owned until the 28 arrived. Now to just figure out what I want to do over this transducer. Tnx guys.

Thanks for letting us know your experiences. I put in a different thread in a different section that there are consequences to going with the tribeam on the FLX28. I hadn't recalled it being stated here nor did the tech say anything about it initially, however, Tom Z. over at Vexilar was able to further explain the limitations that the FLX28 has with the tribeam. Most notably for me is that using the 2 together you will find that when you get over 35-40 feet, you will likely have your gain maxed out regardless of the cone angle being used. Even then there was moments that the small jig would cut out on the screen and would be frustrating at times. Especially when dealing with a finicky bite. I actually now have a FLX with tribeam and a proview that I'm going to work with a little bit side by side. Also picked up a smoking deal on a Marcum M5 so regardless I'm covered. (I know I have problems, but you never know when you need a spare unit... right?  ???  ???  ::) lol)

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 30, 2018, 03:49 PM »
The Proview won't go wider than a 9 degree cone in LP mode... even if you turn the gain all the way up.  If regular mode gain is 0 to 10 then LP is basically resetting the gain scale from -10 to 0.

Tie on a flutter spoon like a slender spoon or something like a jigging rap and use a Proview and 19 degree side by side in 20' of water.  If you like the proview better than you've had a pretty serious dose of the kool-aid.

Other situations, like in deeper water or thick weeds with vertical baits the Proview really shines.  Lake trout fishing, deep water suspended panfish, and really deep perch & walleyes are some areas where the PV works really well.  I believe Vexilar's explanation of how the Proview works, but the real world function of it just isn't practical very often.

My PV experience is with a 20, so the 28 might be better with different color scales.  The morale of of my story is if you're getting a thin line with the Proview by using LP mode, you're not getting more than a 9 degree cone.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #46 on: Jan 30, 2018, 04:05 PM »
lp just cuts power in half that's it..my flx28 angle still  changes cone angle with gain.like how everybody tells vexilar how their products work and their engineers don't know how the proview works..its all opinion and I'm no different.i don't care  anymore on this matter.dont like the proview,dont buy a unit with one.simple at least it should be.i started out using the proview on a fl20 the year it came out and had no problems with display.i have no dog in this fight its just my personal  hands on experience with all the ducers over the years.ive ran every one and own all of them.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #47 on: Jan 30, 2018, 05:27 PM »
I prefer the tri-beam myself on the 28 but just a personal preference.  I try to remind myself to not overthink the bells and whistles.  Most times it comes down to having the right bait with the right jig action in the right spot.  Being able to see where the fish are in the water column is 90% of the battle with flashers.  About the time i get hung up on "target separation" or "cone angle" or whatever, I get my a$$ handed to me by a buddy with an FL-8.  If you can see your bait and the fish, you've got most of what you need.  Everything else is just icing on the cake. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #48 on: Jan 30, 2018, 05:31 PM »
I prefer the tri-beam myself on the 28 but just a personal preference.  I try to remind myself to not overthink the bells and whistles.  Most times it comes down to having the right bait with the right jig action in the right spot.  Being able to see where the fish are in the water column is 90% of the battle with flashers.  About the time i get hung up on "target separation" or "cone angle" or whatever, I get my a$$ handed to me by a buddy with an FL-8.  If you can see your bait and the fish, you've got most of what you need.  Everything else is just icing on the cake.
right on.ive also been outfished by a guy with a fl8.not often but it happens.but I didn't have  the right jig in my box not because of what ducer I was running..

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 30, 2018, 05:43 PM »
Bought my flx28 last season, used the pv the whole season without any problems. I fish mostly shallow 7-16 ft of water. I hadn’t really tried to turn the gain up to widen my cone angle so I don’t know about any clutter. This year I got a good deal on a tribeam so I’ve been using that. I can also say I’ve had no problem using it with the 28. I’ve actually fished water recently that was between 35-50ft. I and had not problem reading a 3mm jig near bottom with my gain at 2. I’m gonna switch back to pv just to see if I notice any difference. It’s just hard to do this testing when your on the ice and there’s fish to be had. I use color palette #3 with the extra white color(or at least that’s what I think it is I’m color blind). Maybe color palette #2would be helpful with the pv problem of turning up gain to make cone angle bigger? That takes out the green (weakest color). I also don’t have a problem with ddd on auto mode with the tribeam. I have used weed mode this year with the tribeam on 9* in shallow water and workers well to pic out fish in weeds. Overall I love my vex, I also have an Lx-6 which I like as well. Not sure which I prefer?

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
« Reply #50 on: Jan 30, 2018, 08:47 PM »
Thanks for letting us know your experiences. I put in a different thread in a different section that there are consequences to going with the tribeam on the FLX28. I hadn't recalled it being stated here nor did the tech say anything about it initially, however, Tom Z. over at Vexilar was able to further explain the limitations that the FLX28 has with the tribeam. Most notably for me is that using the 2 together you will find that when you get over 35-40 feet, you will likely have your gain maxed out regardless of the cone angle being used. Even then there was moments that the small jig would cut out on the screen and would be frustrating at times. Especially when dealing with a finicky bite. I actually now have a FLX with tribeam and a proview that I'm going to work with a little bit side by side. Also picked up a smoking deal on a Marcum M5 so regardless I'm covered. (I know I have problems, but you never know when you need a spare unit... right?  ???  ???  ::) lol)

Wow I’m thankful for your input OA,  especially after reading your experience with the tri I haven’t yet added one to the cart. So from what you’re saying the Tribeam is possibly underpowered and the ProView over powered.

I called down to the cool people at the Vexilar company late this afternoon...  The really upbeat friendly lady Hope that answered put me in touch with Tom the head of Marketing and I believe research also. Thankfully the common ground we shared with the Chubby Darters made for more, what I felt was more like a personable call rather than maybe an here we go again type conversation which I was thankful for. Anyways, after explaining my experience so far with this new FLX28 and it’s ProView ducer, Tom suggested IF it’s too powerful in the Auto range even with the gain/sensitivity all the way down to Zero in Low Power/Zoom, to turn unit Off, middle Range knob position to Normal, then depress Gain knob then power up unit to Auto range which will put unit into Weed Mode. He mentioned using this mode will reduce power by 10-15% compared to even the Low Power mode. He suggested to try this first. He in no way tried to discourage me from the Tribeam, because he felt confident enough the PV being was designed to work with the 28... something else when I mentioned when using these swim baits like a jiggin rap or Darter, and it swims outside the cone angle and completely vanished from the screen until it almost reaches dead centre in shallow water... and again I felt another reason I wondered of the Tribeam might be a better choice for the shallows, he said, even if I was using the tri and had it set to 20*, the real difference between the 9 and 20 in the shallows in regards to how many actual Inches of extra bottom coverage would be minimal and not worth going to the tri.

So the jury is still out until I can get out within next few days and test drive in Weed mode. Sorry for long post all

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
« Reply #51 on: Jan 30, 2018, 09:26 PM »
I just wish I had the Tribeam to try out along with the PV, that way I’d know for sure. One hint I feel is by increasing the gain to get a wider fine angle haha, all I’ve experienced in any mode is nothing but a wider line with more clutter so no that hasn’t worked for me.

Overall I’d have to say I’m fairly happy with the PV ducer in shallow water and agreed i purchased a flasher to show me my bait, what’s between Surface and bottom and of I do everything else right I should be able to catch fish. My buddy who is a very well seasoned angler, we set some de by side in my 3 man clam guide a few weeks ago fish yellow perch. At the beginning of the day he stay out by saying he’d Never Waste his money on a Vexilar or any flasher for that matter, then not too long into the morning when I just happened to be outfidging him an honest 2-3/1 and I’d say oh here comes another one, oh ya got him on and it’s a good one... then what do ya know I catch him looking over at my graph, hey hey don’t be cheating and looking over here, you just stare down your hole and wait for the bite haha. I think he might’ve had different thoughts at days end how useless these ol waste of money Flashers truly are.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #52 on: Jan 30, 2018, 09:42 PM »
Wow I’m thankful for your input OA,  especially after reading your experience with the tri I haven’t yet added one to the cart. So from what you’re saying the Tribeam is possibly underpowered and the ProView over powered.

I called down to the cool people at the Vexilar company late this afternoon...  The really upbeat friendly lady Hope that answered put me in touch with Tom the head of Marketing and I believe research also. Thankfully the common ground we shared with the Chubby Darters made for more, what I felt was more like a personable call rather than maybe an here we go again type conversation which I was thankful for. Anyways, after explaining my experience so far with this new FLX28 and it’s ProView ducer, Tom suggested IF it’s too powerful in the Auto range even with the gain/sensitivity all the way down to Zero in Low Power/Zoom, to turn unit Off, middle Range knob position to Normal, then depress Gain knob then power up unit to Auto range which will put unit into Weed Mode. He mentioned using this mode will reduce power by 10-15% compared to even the Low Power mode. He suggested to try this first. He in no way tried to discourage me from the Tribeam, because he felt confident enough the PV being was designed to work with the 28... something else when I mentioned when using these swim baits like a jiggin rap or Darter, and it swims outside the cone angle and completely vanished from the screen until it almost reaches dead centre in shallow water... and again I felt another reason I wondered of the Tribeam might be a better choice for the shallows, he said, even if I was using the tri and had it set to 20*, the real difference between the 9 and 20 in the shallows in regards to how many actual Inches of extra bottom coverage would be minimal and not worth going to the tri.

So the jury is still out until I can get out within next few days and test drive in Weed mode. Sorry for long post all

My god If I had to do that every time for my FLX28 to work like I wanted......I'd send the POS back. Tom is full of crap on the difference a 9* & 20* makes in shallow water.....if it was so minimal then why would anyone use a 12* or 20*........this guy is selling sack loads of bull IMO.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Jan 30, 2018, 10:28 PM »
with all due respect, I have to agree, with the above post.    Here's a fact.  The transducer is a crystal that emits sound.  The area of coverage of that sound is produced by an electric pulse.  That pulse is fixed and the crystal is fixed.  You ain't changing either of those by adjusting the return signal receiver gain.  Yes you can adjust the pulse power by using the low power and weed mode, but it's still that same 9 degrees coming out of the crystal. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #54 on: Jan 31, 2018, 06:19 AM »
theres 3  crystals in the proview.when gain is turned  it activates the outer lobe crystals..fwiw.the flx was built around the proview and its gain button.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Jan 31, 2018, 06:42 AM »
I decided to just keep an eye out for a good deal on a tribeam and buy one. Vexilar said they will no longer do the exchanges that other members have gotten. I'll keep the proview for a backup and in case I start to fish deeper lakes.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #56 on: Jan 31, 2018, 06:59 AM »
my next test will be the pro view on my fl22hd.curious on how it works on a shallow water vexilar model in shallow water.deepest ive ever fished is 39ft.normally fish 9ft to 20.

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
« Reply #57 on: Jan 31, 2018, 07:28 AM »
Yes you can adjust the pulse power by using the low power and weed mode, but it's still that same 9 degrees coming out of the crystal.

As long as I can reduce the amount of signal strength going to that lure so it’s nothing wider than a narrow green line no matter what Range I’m using, then I’ll call that fine but if I can’t then I’ll continue to look for an alternative route.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #58 on: Jan 31, 2018, 07:32 AM »
As long as I can reduce the amount of signal strength going to that lure so it’s nothing wider than a narrow green line no matter what Range I’m using, then I’ll call that fine but if I can’t then I’ll continue to look for an alternative route.
lp mode in anything under 10ft,nice display no problem.

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
« Reply #59 on: Jan 31, 2018, 07:39 AM »
https://goo.gl/images/tyh4Be

Well according to this scale I’ve been fed the wrong info indeed that there’s minimal bottom area coverage difference between 9/20* cone angles especially in shallow

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.