Author Topic: How many years?  (Read 3370 times)

Offline dangle

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How many years?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 05, 2014, 11:56 AM »
Been fishing since the mid 70's. fortunate enough to be surrounded by lakes.

Offline dirtymike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Nov 05, 2014, 12:06 PM »
Boy, you guys make me feel young!  I haven't been alive for as long as some of you have been punching holes in the ice.  I started ice fishing when I was about 5.  Seen a pickup go through the ice, right in front of us, and I didn't hit the ice until I was 23.  I went to school with a guy from NE SD who probably forgot more about ice fishing than I know now.  He definitely lit a fire in terms of ice fishing.  I find myself putting the boat away as soon as the first freeze hits.  Unfortunately, someone decided they needed my ice fishing equip more than I did and helped themselves to it a few months ago.  After I close up tonight, I'm heading to scheels to replace all my stuff.  The old credit card might light on fire.  Until then, I'll be impatiently waiting for safe ice. 

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Nov 05, 2014, 12:11 PM »
I turned 39 this year, and I've been completely addicted to fishing for about 34 years now.  It seems the older i get, the worse the addiction gets too!!!  ;D

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Nov 05, 2014, 12:56 PM »
i honestly can't remember my first ice fishing trip. i know i've been fishing pretty much my entire life (i caught my first fish at 10 months old) and i remember catching bluegills and perch on deadsticks when i was 5 or 6, but anything else is lost to the sands of time.

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Nov 05, 2014, 01:16 PM »
i honestly can't remember my first ice fishing trip. i know i've been fishing pretty much my entire life.......

I distinctly remember mine.....4 years old, in the back seat of my dads car, older brother in front with dad.....about 5 feet from shore, 2 foot of water (Lk. St. Clair in Michigan) the car went thru the ice.  I learned all kinds of new words that day while watching the car get pulled out and listening to my dad. ;D  I've been ice fishing on and off, depending on circumstances for a long, long time and hope to continue to do so.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Nov 05, 2014, 01:29 PM »
Saw...who's your buddy? Were you out on Lac Vieux Desert? I've been fishing up there since I was a kid and owned a property for about 20+.

I PMd you.

About which lake, I don't remember the name but was told it was on the border and a fishing license from either MI or WI would work.
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #36 on: Nov 05, 2014, 01:41 PM »
Long time. before sleds and quads, spuds got all the holes punched. Sat on a box made from a pop crate, fished with a rod made from an old bamboo pole we used for perch fishing. Caught a lot of perch back then, now you can't find perch just walleye.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Nov 05, 2014, 02:23 PM »
Closing in on the big 2-0 !!!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline bmiller423

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Nov 05, 2014, 02:40 PM »
Started in 1983 or 84.  Can't remember the exact date but I remember my dad taking us out on the lake about 20 miles from my home town.  Didn't have an ice auger so we chopped it by hand with a steel bar and a hachet.  Mostly fished northern so pretty primative fishing for us.  Smelt and Treble Hook - nothing fancy.  So i guess this year will be 30 years give or take. 

Offline bwana72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Nov 05, 2014, 02:54 PM »
Well I am 45 now, and my first time on the ice was when I was 3 years old. I have had years when I have barely made it out, but I have also had years when I had 50+ days on the ice. Through my 20's and early 30's I hit it hard. But then along came a wife and a couple great kids and I slowed down some. But I am very fortunate to have an almost 10 year old son who is extremely passionate about fishing so we are starting to hit it again. I..like a lot of guys was in denial about electronics for many years...I didn't think I needed them to catch fish...and you don't need them to catch fish. BUT, after buying a Showdown a few years ago I will never look back. Although you don't need electronics to "catch fish"..I found out quickly that with the use of them you will catch them much more consistantly and in way higher numbers. Now I have an LX7 and a Marcum 825 camera that not only make our experience on the ice more sucessful..they make it more fun..especially for my little man. I think I got a little off track there..but 42 years off and on is how long I have been ice fishing. And if I had to make a choice to only fish open water or hard water for the rest of my life...I would choose the hard water.
Good Things Come To Those Who Bait

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Nov 05, 2014, 03:08 PM »
30 years for me ;D

Offline 97sx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Nov 05, 2014, 03:13 PM »

Offline Smax

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Nov 05, 2014, 03:26 PM »
Dabbled for about 35years. Became a lifestyle about 6 years ago.
GO PACK GO

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #43 on: Nov 05, 2014, 03:29 PM »
This will only be my 36th season....     :(
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline MAS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Nov 05, 2014, 06:29 PM »
Liked reading folks stories... good topic..  I learned about fishing 5 years ago... both open and ice... only regret is not being introduced to it earlier in my life, but you can bet it will be passed down by me :)
Michele

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it..."

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #45 on: Nov 05, 2014, 06:52 PM »
Some were around 47 years. I remember going with my Dad, Grandpa and brothers, and them using the spud to chop holes and then an ice saw for holes in the shanty.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #46 on: Nov 05, 2014, 06:53 PM »
I remember it like it was yesterday.......  December 1961.... my buddy then AND NOW... dragged me screaming out onto a frozen lake in Putnam County, NY.  Been at it for the next 53 years!!!

Back then we cut holes with an axe (and found out how difficult THAT was!!!)  Spud bar came next and it was easier but gave us quite a workout.  Next came an amazing invention.... a Spoon auger (what a PIA)!  But then I spied a giant "corkscrew" with a "T" handle on top...what a great idea!!
Many, many changes since those early years... fancier tip-ups, jigging rods of all descriptions, jigging lures, soft plastics, ELECTRONICS!!!, u/w Cameras, Gas Augers, etc., etc.   Baffles the mind to keep up with all this new fangled stuff!!
Nowadays (at 72 yrs. old) we hide out in pop-up Hub style tents, with Mr. Buddy heaters, cut holes with Gas augers, jig our lures with custom made rods, and watch the fish bite on our Aqua Views, while cooking lunch on our propane stoves....... man, have things changed!!!

In order to bury me when I die, they're going to have to drag my frozen carcass off some upstate NY lake..... and there willl still be a fish on the end of my line!!!

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Nov 05, 2014, 06:58 PM »
My first trip on the ice was a farm pond in North Dakota in 1979 while in the Air Force( GFAFB). We spud-ed 3 holes and where worn out. I fished with long rods and old wooded tip up. We caught a bass and I was hooked. Been off and on but on solid from 1987 when I moved back into the ice belt.
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Nov 05, 2014, 07:04 PM »
Been ice fishing for 18 years, been doing it more seriously the last 3 years

Catchin' Fish

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Nov 05, 2014, 07:08 PM »
Started when I was 17  and almost 48 now.... do the math....

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Nov 05, 2014, 07:16 PM »
early 70's and still no electronics

SnoHam13

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Nov 05, 2014, 07:30 PM »
Started about 5 years ago and it's been an addiction.  With duck migrations slowing down and upland game dwindling with the amount of grass I switched to something that I do all summer long. 

Offline ff318

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Nov 05, 2014, 07:44 PM »
Three years.... but ive put all my chips in. in that short time, Cant say there are too many better sports
flag em and tag em

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #53 on: Nov 05, 2014, 07:49 PM »
ive got around 22 years in so far.i still get the same rush I did starting out years ago everytime my flag on my tipup pops up.or  watching my spring bobber  twitch and fighting a nice gill/speck on light line and short rods.

Offline 4426

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Nov 05, 2014, 08:18 PM »
only 2 years so far, I suspect this is going to be a life long addiction that can't be kicked

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #55 on: Nov 05, 2014, 08:24 PM »
Been doing it for 32 years thanks to my dad and still spend time on the ice with him. The past 15 years ive got out alot trying for 50 outings a season...love it

Offline KDK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Nov 05, 2014, 08:28 PM »
I'd say about 40 years with a few break during school and my early years living in Missouri.
Life is simple, people make it complicated

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Nov 05, 2014, 08:31 PM »
Started 60+ years ago as a tag-a-long with my Dad was about 6 or 7. Have ice fished most years since. In the 70's we rigged up our Green Boxes (Fish Lo K ators) so's we could hook'em to motorcycle batteries, and used 'em on the ice, we used a lot of homemade lures and gadgets back then as there wasn't much on the market for ice fishing. It's still my favorite outdoor activity.

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Nov 05, 2014, 08:58 PM »

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Nov 05, 2014, 09:47 PM »
61..Thanks gramps..Sat behind a straw bale on the pond when I was about 4..Had a pole, can't remember if it was baited. I just wanted to screw around on the ice with the dog. Gramps was pretty passionate about fishing. He liked the dog more than me..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.