Author Topic: Talk or Stay Away?  (Read 4595 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Talk or Stay Away?
« Reply #60 on: Oct 25, 2012, 10:51 AM »
I asked this because I fish with guys that know it all and are in a constant competition with one another and everyone else on the ice seems to be.  I used to follow the school of thought so to speak until a few years back, a buddy and I were walking out on a local lake for the evening bite and en route there was an older gent kinda in the area we had planned on hitting.  Well my buddy lets out the grumble of doom picks up the pace and ignores the mans hello walking past him hastily.  I on the other hand stopped as the guy said hi and struck up a convo the man was out using his new vex which at the time I had never used a flasher period.  He gave me the 101 course standing there.  He wasn't familiar with the lake and was getting ready to head out but he offered to check some of my holes before I just drilled and sat.  Well the first few were duds but then one of them had fish suspended in about 25fow wouldn't you know it I took damn near my limit of crappie sitting there. The man left and some time later my buddy came back asking what the hell that old man wanted.  Since that day I fish with electronics and always stop to say hi and ask hows it going but always observing that unwritten rule of common courtesy.

Great Story and glad to see you didn't let your friends influence you.
<===Lefty===

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
« Reply #61 on: Oct 25, 2012, 11:16 PM »
I generally don't like people. But I have yet to meet someone on the ice that isn't a nice person, so I like to BS on the ice.
👮👮👮

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #62 on: Oct 26, 2012, 01:59 PM »
I always have the time to talk to a fellow outdoorsman. Learned alot from them, Hopefully taught some too. I give other fishermen a wide berth and speak to them, You can usually tell by response if they want company or not. There are some bad attitudes out there and I do not need that rubbing off on me. There are some friendly ones too, That I do need to rub off on me.   Steve

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Oct 27, 2012, 01:03 AM »
I can talk and fish at the same time if someone wants to chat,I also like to say hi to fisherman I pass,most of the time that starts a good conversation if the fishing is slow.

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #64 on: Oct 27, 2012, 05:14 AM »
I will wave, and say hello in passing to the area I am going to fish. 
Once set up, nothing triggers a flag like walking 300 yards away to say hi to a neighbor  :tipup:  ;D
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Oct 27, 2012, 07:29 AM »
I enjoy a little conversation.   Its a great way to learn something about the lake or the bite.   I am always looking for something new to learn and I will offer advise to anyone, but when its going good I can't stand the guy that will move within 10' of you.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #66 on: Oct 27, 2012, 01:33 PM »
I like to chat.  The more the merrier in my book!
NOTE,ALMOST ALL PEOPLE FISH DIFFERENT,and will not TAKE your fish,but may hold the fish in the
spot where you are fishing[MORE BAIT REASON TO STAY FOR THE FISH]just think,are you there to be alone
or to have fun,
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Oct 27, 2012, 02:33 PM »
If they start talking first I'll talk to them especially if their packing up sometimes you can get some pretty good leftovers  ;)

Offline Mike47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Oct 27, 2012, 02:44 PM »
 ;D I just smile and most people talk ,  if not I just keep on walking.
IMG]http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q762/MikeGoe49/lx001.jpg[/IMG]

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #69 on: Oct 27, 2012, 03:14 PM »
where i fish i am the first on the ice and the last off, before sunrise till after sunset. if people are heading past ill chat. if im slamming the fish then i might go get 1 or 2 of those around the "dead" areas, but unless i invite you stay atleast 25-30 YARDS away. i fish a large spread with my tip-ups and jig all around them. if you want to fish where im at then get there before i do...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #70 on: Oct 27, 2012, 03:24 PM »
But why the large spread? I've seen guys spread out tip ups over a 150 yard area then b***h cause they can't see their flags because other people set up "in their area" REALLY??? How bout taking it down a notch and NOT spread out so much? Other people are out there as well. Just an observation. When I set up, I stay in an area about 20-30 yards. If I want to fish 150 THAT WAY I will move my set up.

I had a guy last year, put his shack 2 feet off my shack, blocking my view of my tip ups. I moved my set up over. Then when a friend put HIS shack next to this turkey...the dude gets bent out of shape! Said his view of his tip ups was blocked. TS....I ended up just pulling out of shanty town. Too many a-holes who think THEY own the place and do what THEY want and have no common curtsey...

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #71 on: Oct 27, 2012, 04:41 PM »
Damn public waters they'll let anyone on there ;)
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline nitram

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Oct 27, 2012, 07:06 PM »
Depends, I'm usually friendly. Cant take disrespectfully behavior, like when I'm releasing a large fish to have some guy run over yelling don't let it go Ill take it. Or some thing like that, Ill say some thing they most likely will take offense to. For the most part I'm nice. I try not to bother others and would like the same. I have had fish right there and have been coxing it to bite it allmost goes and some one will walk up and spook it. Ill tell them but I'm not mean about it. Just so we don't do it again.

Offline danceswmuskys

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat more sea kittens. It's what's for supper.
« Reply #73 on: Oct 27, 2012, 07:27 PM »
most ice people are good down to earth folks. I,ll chat with most unless i get a bad vibe. but mostly stay away from the masses.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #74 on: Oct 28, 2012, 04:01 AM »
why so large a spread? simply it works! i am fishing in a small lake thats adv. depth is around 15-20 foot. i fish it in the open basin, where the bigger perch are feeding on bait mostly. as anyone walks around i have noticed it gets them moving, bait too. i get perch in the 12-15 inch range and some slab crappies this way all day long. i am fishing for the bigger fish that are roaming the area looking for food. when theres movement on the ice in my area i have found the fish move around a bit more. thats why i spread the set out wide. think of it this way, that 1 furthest tip-up seems to get more action than those where your always sitting. and when the set is walked around or through i usually get a flag or two. when im hopping hole to hole jigging walking around the outer edges really gets them feeding.

also try this: put 2 hooks per tip-up about 2-3 feet apart. i use a loop knot for the upper hook. 2 bait are alot more visible to the fish and it works great! i dont mind if people walk through my set, just dont set up in my set.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline slamer58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Oct 28, 2012, 09:13 AM »
I always talk and say good morning.........

Offline Handy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Oct 28, 2012, 09:48 AM »
My fishin buddy Jon will always walk up to people and chat. He mainly is looking for info on what depth and bait ect but if they dont give it up he will just talk a short bit and be on his way. I on the other hand I go to where I want to go and fish. Not being a prude Im just shy. I have been working on getteing out of my "box" and talk to more people. My dad says why not talk to them they are doing what you love to do and you might just make a new friend. So that has been one of my goals is to talk to more people fishing. Not prying for info just a friendly hello.

Paul

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Oct 28, 2012, 10:36 AM »
OK , I have this figured out. If you do NOT want any one close to you,put some signs out saying STAY AWAY,I am sure that this will work. Or maybe we should have a flag color to put out like red to stay away and green to come on over and converse. Anyway I would go green. Jerry

Offline Basswacker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Oct 28, 2012, 10:51 AM »
I find it better to talk with someone about ice fishing than to talk shop. The more of the better. I seen a lot of good ideas out there over the years.

Offline lippy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Oct 28, 2012, 11:14 AM »
well i love to bs you can stop on by my set up anytime have a beer and shoot the s--t. we are all out to have fun i think if not it's to much like work and we hate that.  have some fun out there. just don't move in on someone without an invite.  we all like our space.         GOOD LUCK THIS YEAR

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #80 on: Oct 28, 2012, 05:11 PM »
OK , I have this figured out. If you do NOT want any one close to you,put some signs out saying STAY AWAY,I am sure that this will work. Or maybe we should have a flag color to put out like red to stay away and green to come on over and converse. Anyway I would go green. Jerry
My luck is when the red flag is out someone is bound to come over to ask what the flag is about. I usually watch body language, then for eye contact before I initiate a hello, very willing to talk just pretty much shy you could call it.
:icefish:

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Oct 29, 2012, 10:52 AM »
it really depends on the situation.  if i'm heading to a spot thats kind of a secret, i ain't saying hi to nobody.  if i'm off to the community hole or a well known hole, yeah i'll talk. 

my buddy learned first hand to pick you spots to be talkative. 

we were on our way to our spot that was kicking out nice fish on a little public 10 acre pond last year.   there was another guy we've seen there a time or two drilling holes in a spot we knew was going dead (xmas trees) with about 3 other guys.  before i could tell my partner not to, he starts talking to the guy like they are old buddies.. i continue on.   i set up shop, he follows, i tell him, you totally screwed us.  he's like what!? i said you buddybuddied with them.   as soon as we start catching fish, , they'll come over.  sure enough, they couldn't find much structure, we started pulling out crappie after crappie and they walked the 100 yards over to our spot and fished all up in our grills talking to us like we were long lost buddies.   now whatever, i don't care THAT much (we were the ones who sunk the trees but its public) but these guys were TALKERS.  i drove by the spot the entire week and a half we had ice last yera and they were there on that spot, every day with new guys.   

i can't say if he hadn't said boo it never would of happened eventually, it probably would have but man.  it certainly killed that spot for the short season we had.

Offline DaveW731

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Oct 29, 2012, 02:47 PM »
I always start up a conversation or two.  If you're polite about it, you can tell within 5-6 words if the person wants to talk or not.  More often than not, I end up helping someone out, or someone helps me out.  I respect people's "space" and don't pry: just a general "How's it going?", some smalltime talk about sports, weather or how great it is to be out fishing and then on my way. 
"There is no failure, except in no longer trying"

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #83 on: Oct 29, 2012, 02:54 PM »
i will talk to anyone who wants talk icefishing! just keep your dog away from my tip-ups and baitbucket! unleashed dogs on the ice r my biggest pet peeve

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #84 on: Oct 29, 2012, 02:57 PM »
i will talk to anyone who wants talk icefishing! just keep your dog away from my tip-ups and baitbucket! unleashed dogs on the ice r my biggest pet peeve
you and me both kid, hate loose dogs that dont hang by there owners !!  how ya been J

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #85 on: Oct 29, 2012, 04:56 PM »
ow real good! been hittin the champlain eyes pretty good latley. and yourself?

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Oct 29, 2012, 07:38 PM »
I don't mind a little friendly  conversation from a passerby.
What I don't like is those who are crossing the lake then see you and make a beeline. Next thing you know they are hitting you up for all the info you have been working hard to get. Half the time it seems they are just prying for info when they beeline for you like that.
Sometimes I just wan't to tell them that guides get paid to teach people how to fish!
 Where I live not a lot of people use flashers and when they see mine it becomes 20 questions about flashers and how to use one etc.
Another annoying one is when they tell you it's dead where they are at and juat want to know how well you are doing.
If you really wan't to know grab your auger and drill some holes in the area I am at and start fishing.
On the other hand I have met some nice people and even drilled them some holes with my power auger when they had a hand auger.
They didn't hit me up for advice just wanted to chat and we fished together several times on that lake.
After awhile we did share some info about where and how to fish.
I think it was all in the attitude they had.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Oct 29, 2012, 07:54 PM »
I was having a good day two years ago when two guys came within 30 feet of me and started chipping at the ice with a spud bar. I was not happy. After their first hole, one guy asked me to drill him a few holes with my hand auger. I reluctantly did, then went about my own business.
Ice fishing is no catch and release sport.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.