Author Topic: Eyeglass wearers???  (Read 2227 times)

Bullelk34

Eyeglass wearers???
« on: Mar 24, 2012, 11:21 AM »
OK folks, I'm now officially wearing glasses. It's my first time wearing glasses and so far I am REALLY impressed with being able to see all that I was missing! Just like my Dad said, once you get into your 40's your eyes will change.....  I'm concerned about cold weather though, do they fog up all day? What about the hot weather, problems? Sorry to sound so ignorant, but I really am ignorant on this.

Thanks-
Carl

Offline dachmation

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Eyeglass wearers???
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2012, 11:38 AM »
They fog up when you go in to Heated area from the cold, and from Hot outside into air conditioning, sometimes. But is better then being blind. LoL. Been wearing em 54 yrs so I guess I'm used to it. No Big deal!

Offline rouser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2012, 12:12 PM »
Best $3K I ever spent was on LASIK surgery. So long to PITA glasses, after 20 years of wearing them it was like I had been freed!

They are going to fog when you transition temps dramatically. Rain and sleet also suck.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2012, 12:58 PM »
Best $3K I ever spent was on LASIK surgery. So long to PITA glasses, after 20 years of wearing them it was like I had been freed!

They are going to fog when you transition temps dramatically. Rain and sleet also suck.
I did the same thing, Lasik surgery, it is the best money you'll ever spend. In summer when you are doing physical labor & you bend over the sweat will drip on to the lens. If you are a hunter, have fun tracking deer through the woods, it will seem every branch will reach out & grab @ them. I'm not trying to scare you & plenty of people hunt w/them, I'm just trying to let you know what's instore for you.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2012, 01:16 PM »
Bullelk, Now that you have them, might be a good idea to protect them from scratches/breaking/going down the ice hole.   :woot: :roflmao:      Croakies save the day.      ;)2   Wally World Eye Centers have them.   Here's a descriptive link.   

http://www.eyesave.com/brands/sc68-pg1/Accessories-Croakies+and+Cords/index.aspx

Offline Striker7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2012, 06:06 PM »
Yes they are a PITA but they do provide protection, if you think about all the times that its recommened for phyical or uv reasons everyone should be wearing them alot more.

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2012, 06:26 PM »
If your face gets sweaty they will fog up as well, if you get into bifocals go with no line ones, they have a transition between the two focals that gives you a better mid range.

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline DustyRhyno

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Giddy up!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2012, 09:48 PM »
I'll second the tip on Croakies.

Dropped mine down a hole last year, fortunately I was fishing in crystal clear water and was able to "fish" them out after an hour and a half. My lure of choice for catching eyeglasses is a Jigging Rap!  ;)

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2012, 08:19 AM »
My lure of choice for catching eyeglasses is a Jigging Rap!  ;)

Great lure, now has another use. Thanks for the heads up!  ;D

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2012, 10:02 AM »
Best advice: use an old soft T-shirt,  ( I have one specifically I use for that) and nothing else, plus lens cleaner made for glasses to clean them. Always rinse them off with water first, do not use things like paper towels on them, they'll scratch easier than you think...and the "scratch-proof" coatings are a joke.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2012, 12:20 PM »
Always rinse them off with water first,

Ditto
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2012, 12:21 PM »
Well....for me....it has been the opposite.  Since I was quite young, I wore glasses....especially to see the blackboard clearly at school.

I'm 65 now and my vision has improved.  Ok, I have diabetes and for a while there, my eyesight changed a lot.  There was even a short while where I even had trouble identifying somebody 10 feet away but I could see things 1/2 mile away....lol.  Kind of weird being able to see somebody so far away and being able to describe his clothes and whether or not he was fishing etc....lol.

Anyway, all is stable for the past few years and I can clearly see everything that is more than about 30 inches away from me.  I asked for an eye evaluation for my driver's licence last year and I now no longer need to wear glasses when driving.  When I put on my glasses, I see no difference when looking at things further away.  For things up close.....that's a different matter.  I can read a newspaper ok but it's better with glasses.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2012, 09:15 AM »
I dont wear them full time but this season I had to make sure I had them to retie hooks..... :o :o :P :P
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2012, 09:31 AM »
I have worn glasses so long I can't remember my first pair
They sell cleaning wipes and spray that help lessen the fogging issue
Be careful what you wipe they with and look at them first to see any debris
You will scratch them at some point, it's a fact of wearing glasses just try to minimize the damage by being careful
If you are wearing them full time you can't beat auto darkening lenses IMAO
Good luck with the new eyes
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2012, 10:52 AM »
The worst thing about glasses for me is I wear a head sock when bowhunting and icefishing and my breath fogs em up I hate it! And to make it worse I pulled it off one day and it knocked my glasses off and bloop down the hole they went grrrr...but seeing is a price u gotta pay I guess and I can't get used to contacts

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 26, 2012, 12:47 PM »
If you don't like the glasses and cant afford lasik, there's always contacts, i wear them and had problems with glasses while hunting and fishing. They aren't hard to get used to and insurance will cover them just like glasses.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #16 on: Mar 26, 2012, 04:55 PM »
I have also gone full circle. Wore glasses for a lot of years and had to figure out how to deal with fogging in temp changes, looking through raindrops and snowflakes. Went to contacts which made things sooo much better but still a lot of maintenance. Finally got the Lasik which is the best fix but getting the $$$ ahead was tough. Bottom line is no matter how you deal with it, being able to see clearly is very much worth the trouble.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline smontague

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag up, ass down
« Reply #17 on: Mar 28, 2012, 12:23 PM »
I wear glasses.

If you want to save yourself 2990$$, instead of Lasik, go to a power sports store, buy a 10 dollar bottle of anti fog spray for bike helmets and stuff.

You won`t be 100% fog free, but you`ll still be roughly 85-90% fog free. This stuff works wonders. And, it won`t affect the actual glass on the glasses themselves. I use it fishing, hunting, even paintballing.

Give it a try.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #18 on: Mar 28, 2012, 12:47 PM »

If you decide you want lasik, you can get it done cheaper in Canada, that's where I had it done, it was 1/3 the price of here in the states. When I went just about everyone getting it done was from here. 1 guy that was there when I went said no one in the U.S. would touch him, & he researched everywhere for months before he went there. They did his procedure & his eyesight was perfect.

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 28, 2012, 09:50 PM »
Yes, glasses suck fo doing anything outside in cold weather. I have contacts that I wear for hunting, fishing and snowmobiling. been wearing glasses for years, picking up my first pair of progressive lenses next week.

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 29, 2012, 06:55 AM »
I've been wearing glasses for all most 50 years and have tried several things to prevent the fog ups. I usually have a problem when I  get on the ice and start drilling my holes and work up a sweat. A couple years ago, someone suggested using liquid dish soap on them before going out on the ice. I did this before I left home and used a soft cloth to wipe them down. It worked wonders for me and I've been using it ever since.  ::) :tipup:

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 29, 2012, 07:00 AM »
I looked into corrective surgery for my eyes,I was told they could fix my eyes for distance but would need glasses for reading,so I didnt do it ,contacts is what i wear when needed.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #22 on: Mar 29, 2012, 08:52 AM »

OK lets lok @ this differently, 15 yrs. after my lasik surgery I developed a cataract, so I needed surgery to correct. When they do cataract surgery they replace your lens w/a plastic 1, they put the correct lens that gives you 20-20 vision. I too had to wear reading glasses after the lasik, but after cataract surgery I only need them for real small print, like on a medicne bottle. 1 good thing my insurance paid for the cataract surgery but wouldn't pay for the lasik.

Offline Pout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 29, 2012, 05:35 PM »

Yep, glasses are a PITA.  Years ago I finally decided to get contacts because my damn glasses were fogging up all of the time in the duck blind.  That was a revelation!  I can only imagine what having Lasik would be like.  I would love to be able to wake up in the morning and just see.
Save gas. Fart in a jar

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 29, 2012, 07:07 PM »
I've heard if the lasiks doesn't work well and you still need glasses then you can't wear contacts.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #25 on: Apr 16, 2012, 05:12 PM »
Just another plug for the LASIK thing. I wore glasses all my life, got the corrective surgery, and now just wear sunglasses. I'm on the edge of needing reading glasses, but I'm fighting it!  I have reading glasses but do my best to not need them. Tying on ice flies is reaaaaal tough with out them though. Ha ha

You will get used to them, but tie a string on them when your looking down the hole, it sux to loose them
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline pannyjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Apr 16, 2012, 10:53 PM »
As an optometrist, I can say that any of the three options (eyeglasses, contact lenses, or Lasik) can work well, depending on your circumstances.  Neither Lasik nor contact lenses work very well for people that have dry eyes.  Some people get headaches or have discomfort from having an eyeglass frame sit on their face all day.  Not to mention the near vision issues that most people with either contact lenses or Lasik have to deal with at 40+.  It all comes down to personal preference.  I practice in an office that offers all three alternatives and I wear contact lenses.  I can't have eyeglasses getting in the way looking thru the equipment all day and I certainly don't like eyeglasses for playing sports and especially ice fishing.  By the way, to the person who said you can't wear contact lenses after Lasik, that is not true.  I fit them all the time.

pannyjigger.

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 03:37 PM »
  By the way, to the person who said you can't wear contact lenses after Lasik, that is not true.  I fit them all the time.

That's good to know. I was told that by a friend of mine that had the procedure done 20 yrs or so ago, I'm sure things have changed.

Does it still affect your night vision?

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 04:25 PM »

Does it still affect your night vision?
@ first I had halos around the lights but that was expected, after a while they went away & everything was normal.

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2012, 09:16 PM »
I wear bifocals. What I do on the ice is get CHEAP reading glasses in the same strength as I need. That way, WHEN I drop them down the hole, I am only out about 6 bucks a pair!....AND yes, I carry a few extra pair in the truck! Hell, I can see enough detail to tie knots in line and well enough to find the cooler of beer....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.