Author Topic: A dozen minnows isn't really 12 minnows is it?  (Read 8239 times)

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: A dozen minnows isn't really 12 minnows is it?
« Reply #60 on: Dec 27, 2011, 07:36 AM »
Has everybody noticed how tight things have gotten since this "vhs virus"? I think its bologny...I have the mighty niagara river chock full of minners In my backyard and the baitshops wanna gouge me? Nonsense

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Dec 27, 2011, 07:42 AM »
Has everybody noticed how tight things have gotten since this "vhs virus"? I think its bologny...I have the mighty niagara river chock full of minners In my backyard and the baitshops wanna gouge me? Nonsense
vhs virus? what's that?

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Dec 27, 2011, 07:57 AM »
Here in new york we are only allowed to buy "certified" bait...we are not allowed to legally dip our bait and transfer it to use on a different body of water...when we buy bait we must get it stamped and hang onto the receipt for the 10 days allowed to use that particular bait.....all of this is due to a virus that is supposedly carried in bait you catch yourself killing other fish...however I've been checked several times by a D.E.C, officer for my license and never once have I been asked to produce a receipt

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Dec 27, 2011, 10:20 AM »
Well all I can say is I told the guy behind the counter I wanted a 12 pack of beer. I'll be darned when I went and opened it there was only 12 cans in the case geeeezzzzzzz!!!! I will never buy from him again. 12 cans only when i asked for a 12 pack!!!!! totally unacceptable.

Serious?

I dont know how long you and others saying similar things have been buying bait, but buying a dozen bait has usually resulted in getting more than 12 for decades. Getting a bakers dozen is usually the least you would get, which is fine, but most places throw in at least a few more to get your return business.

Buying bait isnt like buying beer, its not meant as an exact science. Thankfully most bait dealers know this, and the "counters" wont last long stopping before going the extra mile (shiner) for customers.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Dec 27, 2011, 10:28 AM »
the bait shop by me cant count past 9 ??? ???3 dozen is usually 27 and 6 dozen is54 :-\ go figure

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #65 on: Dec 27, 2011, 11:01 AM »
Here they dip the big net in the tank, dip a plastic minnow scoop into the net, cover the top of the plastic scoop so no minnows flop out and dump them into your bait container. The larger the minnow the fewer you get, but I don't think you will ever get fewer than two dozen large minnows. We are buying Fatheads here though. Chubs or Shiners are a different story.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Dec 27, 2011, 11:20 AM »
Things are changing on the extra bait as of past years.I don't use minnows to much but a couple of years ago my buddies ask me to pick up the bait for a road trip.We wanted to start early and the bait stores open a 7 or 8 at the lake. So I pick up 12 dozen fathead the night before,the young girl counted and I mean counted out 144 minnows on the dot. It took her 20 minutes to count them. I've not been back.I like to support small business because I own a small business myself but theres a  certain point I can take. I guess a dozen means a dozen now,but some places in the past just gave out a ton of bait.A place in Erie Pa. counts a scoop as a dozen( more like 3 dozen) It varies on the count at different bait shop here in Pa.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #67 on: Dec 27, 2011, 02:24 PM »
Thanks BBK glad to hear you agree! It was ez-liven in milan. Drove an extra two miles down the road, asked for a dozen and got two. I laughed at the counter and said thanks, the man replied, ya we arent like the folks down the street! Got himself a new customer.

Credit island in davenport is the place to buy minnows, they have fantastic bait and are very nice people. K&K in bett is where I usually buy mine, but they dont carry them all the time.. they aren't too good with the minnow tanks it seams, at least one every couple weeks their whole supply dies off. The BP in leclaire is one to avoid.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #68 on: Dec 27, 2011, 02:34 PM »
There are some states,that require you to carry your receipt for your Minnows so they know where you bought them. If you have 13 minnows and only a receipt for 12 you might get a ticket. You can only buy minnows in the area you are going to fish.

So not all states are the same and the answers are all legit.
<===Lefty===

Offline Todd_NE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Dec 27, 2011, 02:41 PM »
The bait shop at Cedar Bluffs in KS always meant a dozen as 12. Only bait shop anywhere around so they had a bit of a market hold.

Few years back a guy came in and asked for a couple of scoops of minnows. The proprietor threw them in and the buyer about had a heart attack. He made a comment along the lines of that sure doesn't look right but saltier.

The owner took the minnow bucket, counted, came up to 25, and threw one back in his bait shop tank...

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #70 on: Dec 27, 2011, 07:10 PM »
Crappie minnows sold by the scoop 2-3 dozen, walleye suckers get counted, one bait shop by me gives you 1 dozen is 12, the other bait shop about 1/2 mile away gives one dozen as about 15-18. Guess which bait shop gets more business?

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #71 on: Dec 27, 2011, 07:31 PM »
Local shop will count them out, scoop some up and count. Spikes the same way, 25 in a little cup and that is what you get. Been to a shop where he had a good price per scoop, guy showed us the dipper ( nice size scoop) so I got 2 scoops, we watched him scoop them up and then dump 1\4 to 3\8 of them back in. We yelled foul! he said that is what he called a scoop- " you want them or not! "  haven't been back since

Offline hoosier-iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Dec 27, 2011, 07:45 PM »
Northern Indiana and most places here give you probably 18-20 minnies/ dozen asked for.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #73 on: Dec 27, 2011, 08:31 PM »
Now, I'm thinking of the VHS bait laws....

If you have a dozen on the receipt and 30 in your pail, would you get a ticket? Maybe this is why the shops count them out.... to save your butt!

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Dec 27, 2011, 08:48 PM »
Now, I'm thinking of the VHS bait laws....

If you have a dozen on the receipt and 30 in your pail, would you get a ticket? Maybe this is why the shops count them out.... to save your butt!

What if you bought them a week or 2 prior?

Can you only bring out what you have a reciept for?
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline NY_BLUES

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Dec 28, 2011, 02:46 AM »
Here in NY where we need the dated receipt, it is only good for 10 days. I did see that they now are allowing bait to be moved within certain corridors of the state. 
Where I have always gotten my fatheads, they are probably between 15-20 per dozen.  The receipt just says minnows and a price, and when checked by the Conservation Officer, she saw the bait shop name, and handed back to me, never asked another question.
I just hope that the bait shop that I go to most often stays the same as it has, as  the owners are trying to sell it.

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Dec 28, 2011, 08:25 AM »
Both of the bait shops I use are very fair!  usually a dozen ordered means about 18 in the bucket.  However you can't fault a guy for giving you a dozen when you ask for a dozen........now can you? :whistle:
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline gillcraze

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • drill em n kill em
« Reply #77 on: Dec 28, 2011, 08:49 AM »
go to one bait shop and he usually gives me about three dozen if i ask for one
drill em n kill em

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Dec 28, 2011, 10:16 AM »
$7.00 a dozen give or take a little. some people are stingy and give you 12.. some give you 15-20.. some places you can get a pound for $9.00

Offline Canadianiceguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Dec 28, 2011, 11:06 AM »
crappie minnows i get for 5 bucks for 2-3 dozen which is a scoop. walleye shiners is about 7 bones for 16-20 depending on who is working. pike shiners is 9 bones for 12-18, pike suckers are 15 bucks a dozen counted or 1.50 each if ya only want a couple. over the course of the day for crappie minnows i only lose maby 2-3 in bucket death.  no die off for the others at all.

Offline tricohatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Dec 28, 2011, 11:10 AM »
The local bait shop that I buy most of my bait treats me real good! They sell them by the scoop and for the most part I get quite a few for $2. However, sometimes at certain times of the year they include baby bullheads/catfish/bluegills or sticklebacks! I try to remember to look in the bucket before leaving so I can exchange them for what I'm actually buying (minnows)! I don't like reaching into the bucket and getting stuck. :o

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Dec 28, 2011, 01:09 PM »
Here in Wisconsin, at least up here in the north, it goes by the scoop.  I think if counted, it would probably come to a few dozen per scoop.  Same goes with walleye minnows, by the scoop.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #82 on: Jan 02, 2012, 06:11 PM »
The local bait shop that I buy most of my bait treats me real good! They sell them by the scoop and for the most part I get quite a few for $2. However, sometimes at certain times of the year they include baby bullheads/catfish/bluegills or sticklebacks! I try to remember to look in the bucket before leaving so I can exchange them for what I'm actually buying (minnows)! I don't like reaching into the bucket and getting stuck. :o

WOW! Next time try the bullheads and sticklebacks.. they outfish fatheads 10:1 here. You can buy bullheads for $.75 each. Crappie love the sticklebacks, and walleye/pike absolutely go nuts over the bullheads.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline twintrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin for dinner
« Reply #83 on: Jan 02, 2012, 06:29 PM »
Just have to get to know the bait shop owner. Ive been known to bring some homade ( yup homade) apple fritters and cookies. Now after knowing him and the treats my one dozn turns into 2-3  ;D

And when were just after crappies Well......... Those minnners are free  ;) ;D ;)

Ill tossem a few fish if he asks also. Its good to know your local guys

Offline Nozzlejocky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin...where God goes to relax!
« Reply #84 on: Jan 02, 2012, 06:43 PM »
Depends on if you count in the metric system or standard! ;D

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:15 PM »
Just have to get to know the bait shop owner. Ive been known to bring some homade ( yup homade) apple fritters and cookies. Now after knowing him and the treats my one dozn turns into 2-3  ;D

And when were just after crappies Well......... Those minnners are free  ;) ;D ;)

Ill tossem a few fish if he asks also. Its good to know your local guys
I got one up on ya the bait lady is my daughters great grandmother! I get bait/tackle at cost or sometimes less then she pays :)

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:49 PM »
You guys would hate it up here. No live bait (crept maggots and worms) and u haven't found a place yet that makes me feel like in not being ripped off.

This spring, I start "farming" my own bait.

Good fishin'!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline ckfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:51 PM »
a lot of times  get 30 minnows when asking for a dozen but sometimes they count each one out. The bigger ones they usually count. The smaller ones they usually don't.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:05 PM »
The shop I frequent in my area sells by the "dozen", but if they are crappie minnows it is usually about 1 1/2 to 2 times what I ask for. IF we can get good pike bait everyone seems to be dead on with the count...unless I buy a few dozen they always will throw a few extras in for me

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.