Author Topic: Old Gear.. Is it a tip up or a jig rod????  (Read 12024 times)

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Re: Old Gear.. Is it a tip up or a jig rod????
« Reply #60 on: Aug 17, 2011, 04:24 PM »
Thanks Siebold, I will email to see if I can get better background Info on them.

JF, It can't hurt either!
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

surflizard

« Reply #61 on: Aug 19, 2011, 12:07 PM »
Here is an old Jig pole ad that Rebelss found and asked me to post for him.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Aug 19, 2011, 12:53 PM »
It's the original Pocket Fisherman!
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #63 on: Aug 19, 2011, 01:02 PM »
When I found it, I actually thought it might be Surfy's ice rod after that "big cusk fight".... :pinch: :roflmao:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #64 on: Aug 19, 2011, 06:36 PM »
what!?!? I WANT ONE that thing would look sweeeeeet above a fireplace or just on the wall

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #65 on: Aug 22, 2011, 05:47 PM »
That add is sweet lizard.... Although it says nothing bout jiggin... must be they aren't Irish. ;)
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

surflizard

« Reply #66 on: Aug 22, 2011, 06:07 PM »
I can't take any credit for that one JC, Rebel scrounged that one up ! Did any of those Museum links Pan out Jimmy ?? 90% of the Antique Ice fishing gear searchs, brings me right back here !!  :woot: :roflmao:

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #67 on: Aug 22, 2011, 06:27 PM »
Your right.... which makes us the experts! ???

I can see it now .... Drs. of antique jiggology ;D

surflizard

« Reply #68 on: Aug 22, 2011, 06:47 PM »
It's a dirty Job JC, but Somebody's gotta do it !   ;)2 :roflmao:

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Aug 22, 2011, 07:45 PM »
Your right.... which makes us the experts! ???

I can see it now .... Drs. of antique jiggology ;D

Add it to your resumes!  ;)

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #70 on: Aug 22, 2011, 08:31 PM »
jc, the only way to put this to bed is an IS vote. What do you think?

Offline chubking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Aug 24, 2011, 02:57 PM »
I have a stubrod for you spaded.CHUBKING ava ICEJOHN
TEAM ICEHEAD

Offline chubking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Aug 26, 2011, 06:42 AM »
I have one if anybody wants it .Stubcaster free.Just let me know.CHUBKING
TEAM ICEHEAD

surflizard

« Reply #73 on: Aug 27, 2011, 07:15 AM »
Excuse me Professor JC, I think that I may have stumbled upon the answer to the mystery of the question that has perplexed us all !  :thumbsup: :flex: :roflmao: According to the site where I found this photo, this unit is a Depression era home made jig rod ! So the earlier Assumption that it was indeed a Jig rod was Correct ! I tried to copy the quote, but it is blocked !  :'(

I also came across some other interesting pictures and photos to share with everyone ! The next photo is from 1940 on Lake Pend Orielle in Sand point Idaho, Fellow IS member Idahogator's back yard !  ;D

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #74 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:39 PM »
Well guys and Gals as soon as We get some safe ice here I am going to give one of these bad boys a whirl!   @)

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Jan 05, 2012, 06:24 PM »
Oh! I'm glad this post popped back up!
Somebody gave me a bunch of his grandpa's old stuff, and I don't quite understand the tip ups. They have no spools...they look like a cross between a tip up(I see how the flag gets set off) and a cusk line.
I set it up between two pieces of firewood....what are you supposed to do? Set it in snow upright like this? And it just sets the hook by itself?
What if there's no snow?  ???
I set the line (probably 4# test from 1945 lol) over the spring, that's what set's the flag off. Good thing it's thick enough to see!

There was one tip up in the collection that had one leg, so I did try it out. Not that I know if it works well, since there was nary a nibble.  ::)

Offline iwantone2.4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:59 PM »
Very cool "oldy's" ;D equiptment in this thread!!

When luck becomes habit it turns into skill

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:39 PM »
Guinea,

I can tell you a bit about the "no cross leg" tip up you have propped between your two logs.

(A) The wooden "stick" usually had a nail or sharpened pin sticking out the bottom end.   The nail was jammed into the surface of the ice, adjacent to the hole. This is what held the tip up in place,  if there was no snow to jam the wood stick into.  Only the line went down into the hole, not the tip up.

(B) The line would run out to the outer loop in the trip wire.  Similar as to the way you show it, only move the line all the way out to the outer loop instead of draped over where you have it.

(C)  The fish would grab the bait pulling the line taught which in turn pulled the trip wire down releasing the flag.  Same as today's tip ups except there was no spool or reel.

(D) the fish would hook itself.  the tension on the flag spring only raises the flag , it does not set the hook.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:48 PM »
Thanks Huntindave!

I'll have to build some screw-in pins so I can try them out!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #79 on: Jan 06, 2012, 07:49 AM »
It just amazes me of how inventive some of the old timers were. Nice post Guinea.

surflizard

« Reply #80 on: Jan 06, 2012, 07:54 AM »
Great to see more of the old gear, thanks for sharing that with us Guinea !  :thumbsup:

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Jan 20, 2012, 04:20 PM »
Guinea, I used to have a couple similar as a kid, I just couldn't remember how they worked til I saw yours. That was in the late 60's. I fished Great Pond in Belgrade a few years ago and some guys up there were using similar setups for white perch. I didn't have my camera or I would have taken pics, since I knew I'd never remember how they were built. Thanks for posting :tipup: :tipup:
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #82 on: Jan 21, 2012, 06:09 AM »
Guinea,
The first pic is a 'perch trap' as I've been raised to believe. I found a full set in my basement when I moved in but also my dad and all the older kin and locals used to use them. Some still do. I still have the set from the cellar but have never used them. Many had home made spools nailed to the side of the upright stick which was supposed to be put in a pile of snow or slush that you let freeze in to help support them. You had to tie a loop in your line strategically to set the depth of your bait by putting the loop on the knob just below where you put the flag. When a fish bites, the flag pops up. Simple ingenuity. If you were fortunate enough to have one of the fancy ones with a spool, the fish could run. If not, and you had a big fish on, YOU had to run to the trap all the faster before IT went bye-bye down the hole!!  :o

I also have a tipup EXACTLY like your second picture. From a yard sale.  Right down to the curly-cue pigtail wire holding it together! Very light, great for hoofing it into remote places. It does not matter which way you spool the line onto it , the flag will still trip. Sort of an ambidextrous tipup...  @)

Rockhound,
Great Pond was a big haunt of mine for many years. It is the original 'On Golden Pond' although the movie was not made there. Caught many a Salmon there years ago, and tons of White Perch. That is, until the Pike changed to whole lake for the worse.  >:(  I rarely go there anymore, sad really. Was a favorite, now a memory... And I still live close by.

Jimmyclaude,
I think I slept on one of those mattresses that they made those things out of. I mean one of the mattresses that went bad... Makes me think about the old Looney Tunes cartoon where the cartoon character gets 'stung' by a spring popping out right on his back-side!  ;D
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline justfine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NOW THIS IS FUN!!!
« Reply #83 on: Jan 21, 2012, 09:55 AM »
so my salvation army friend brought these to me last night they have flags that trip so signal device in N.Y tip up

HAPPINESS IS BLOOD ON THE ICE!!!!

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #84 on: Jan 21, 2012, 11:43 AM »
YES!!
We have a WINNAH!!! Thank you "Justfine"!   :clap: :clap: :clap:

Definitely a tipup!

1:
Line on the spool goes through the eye on the end that goes in the hole and bait, leader, etc, goes on that.
2:
You need a separate piece of line for the flag mechanism. Just long enough to keep the flag down when it is attached to the bent wire/screw/nail on the edge of the spool (as in Justfine's pic). Tie one end to flag spring tip, other end use a small loop to hook onto the bent nail.
3:
Place trap/tipup/spool end into ice hole with a branch or dowel as a cross piece in the center loop (ice ~<to 1' thick) , or top loop near flag spring (ice ~<2' thick) to keep it upright in ice hole.
4:
As long as the hole doesn't freeze around the string that is between the nail and the flag, when a fish pulls and spins the spool, pop-goes-the-flag-pole (weasel)!!  :thumbsup:

Just like Guinea's Perch traps, they work OK in warm weather but you have to keep tending/chipping the hole if below 32F because a line has to pass from above to below the water line. I've even had modern tipup's grease tubes freeze and either found bait robbed or line free-spooling on trap with no flag before (home-made Thompsons come to mind).

I imagine back when these were used, there was no laws on the books to keep one's hole from freezing with such things as vegetable oil, motor oil, aunty freeze...  ;)
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #85 on: Jan 21, 2012, 03:43 PM »
I was told that they could be used either way but now I can see how it would be used as a tip up

The skys have opened and the Angels are singing..

Can I get an Amen Brother

Offline perchhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Jan 21, 2012, 05:18 PM »
My dad used these kind of tip-ups 55 years ago on Oneida Lake, NY. We could use 15 of them per man and we were allowed to leave them in overnight. Everyone would mark each one with name and address and phone number. In those days we would also keep a minnow bucket under the ice so we would have a supply of live minnows there at all times. As a side note, in 15 years we never had anything stolen. Try that now adays.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Jan 23, 2012, 07:19 AM »
Thank You for the background, Nor Easter!

Yes, that tip up is ambidexterous, now that you mention it! It almost looked to me like someone put a couple of different ones together, but that must have been how it was made originally if you have the same one. That's cool!

I may have to try out those "perch traps".....

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #88 on: Jan 25, 2012, 02:33 PM »
I will be trying out my antiques during the local tourney. would be a Hoot to ice something with them.

Offline knoxie603

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Jan 10, 2016, 03:35 PM »
looking back at old posts i have same  wire tip ups got from old hunting camp in conway nh with names on copper tags morgan mead carmel new york  they are tip ups  put a stick through center hole on upright shaft so wont fall through hole set string down through hole under spool bend flag over and hook wire onto spool where there should be a nail or wire on a 9o degree set in hole just like todays tip ups  i have never seen any others like this  would love to find any info on where they were made or year  just saw nor easter post  right on

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.