Author Topic: 4 wheeler in 15 feet of water  (Read 6695 times)

Offline polarisxc111

• IceShanty Rookie
4 wheeler in 15 feet of water
« on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:17 PM »
any ideas on how to get a 4 wheeler out of 15 feet of water,pictures and comments please

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
Re: 4 wheeler in 15 feet of water
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:18 PM »
call the local fire company and have divers float it up

Offline polarisxc111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:24 PM »
our fire dept dosnt have that capibility,there must be a contraption that can be built to get it out

Offline monkeyman2269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:31 PM »
dec

Offline huletts1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:37 PM »
What lake is it in? Your best bet is the fire department or a personal dive team
He'll be back

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:41 PM »
Mark it on your GPS and fish it out in July or August, until then it should hold some nice Perch and Crappie! ::)

Be careful, be aware of your surroundings, and pay attention to what you're doing and you won't have to worry about things like this!

You're just damn lucky you didn't lose your life when this happened!!!
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:41 PM »
We have a guy here that will retrive stuff for you, for a price. Plus our DNR will fine you heavily for the time it's down there. Recently a truck went down, bill was around $5k

Offline polarisxc111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:46 PM »
lake delta ny,you can see the thing.its just the process of getting it over the edge of ice to get it out.

Offline capefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:47 PM »
Check with your local dive shop, they can probably help you out.  If you were up north I would get it for you.

Offline ICEMAN73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:48 PM »
Hill-Billie method

About 5-6 4x4s 10-12 feet long, underwater cam, chain saw, cordless drill, long deck screws, come-a-long, some pulleys, auger, lots of strong rope and a bunch of strong friends with creepers on.

Lasso the front end with some strong rope using the cam.  Use chain saw to make hole big enough or to where there is good ice.

Build a tic-tac-toe with the 4x4s and screws over the 4 wheeler (make sure the center square is big enough for the 4 wheeler).

Drill two holes in the ice far away where the ice strong, loop the rope in the ice holes and the come-a-long.  Then use a 4x4 over the center square with a pulley.  Start winching,,,,  may need some boards and extra holes with other ropes read to reposition the come-a long(s) when it starts to show.

That's how I would do it. 
Good luck

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:49 PM »
Get a hook on the rack and winch it up.. as for getting it over the ledge put a piece of 3/4 or 1 inch plywood stright down the whole and as the wheeler comes up should turn it into a draw bridge I would think..

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:50 PM »
any ideas on how to get a 4 wheeler out of 15 feet of water,pictures and comments please
If this said 4 wheeler is in NY waters you may want to hurry up and get it out before the DEC finds out...If not big fines can potentially arise, so make it snappy. I would say if you have a local dive team (Delta Diverin Rome) to float it up.

Offline polarisxc111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:51 PM »
theres less than 5 gallons of fuel so its except

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:52 PM »
Buy another one and use that one for a new secret spot  ;)
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:54 PM »
theres less than 5 gallons of fuel so its except
Realy?! Can you explain? I was unaware that if it had less than 5 gallons of fuel in it you would be in the clear...And it is in Lake Delta?...Chances are ECO's know by now.

Offline ScubaBrian24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:56 PM »
Wish I didn't have surgery on my ankle, or else my buddy and I would dive down and float it up for you.  Once up, we could get the back tires on the ice and you could tow it out....

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:57 PM »
If you'll post the GPS coords publicly, I'm sure someone will get it out for you free of charge! ;D
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline rbellamy68

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the ICE!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2011, 08:03 PM »
Dont think u r out of the woods with dec just yet .New york state needs money didnt you here??Lol! I honestly wish you good luck and hope u dont run in to any of those kinds of problems.Sometimes its better to leave the machine at home.
Fish on!!

Offline Hobo Hilton

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If it's FISHABLE or HUNTABLE, It's ME
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2011, 08:04 PM »
Go to your nearest dive shop.  You will need a diver and air bags.  Once to the surface you will be able to pull it on to the ice with either another 4 wheeler or a snowmoble.  I wish you luck.  

Offline polarisxc111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2011, 08:05 PM »
this gdc guys sounds like a real winner just looking for help not trouble

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2011, 08:13 PM »
Quit talking about it, don't post your coordinates, and hurry up! Chances are your already busted though
Catching Any?

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2011, 08:50 PM »
if its close enough to shore the easiest way is to chainsaw a trench in the ice from the hole all the way to shore. cut a hole at the shoreline for the atv to fit through. either dive down or fish a choke around the atv with a tow rope or tow strap then pull it to shore via either a truck or winch. if its out a ways you will probably need an airboat with a crane. good luck.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2011, 08:59 PM »
Mark it on your GPS and fish it out in July or August, until then it should hold some nice Perch and Crappie! ::)

Be careful, be aware of your surroundings, and pay attention to what you're doing and you won't have to worry about things like this!

You're just damn lucky you didn't lose your life when this happened!!!

Serious...Probably the worst post of the year..... You can have decades on the ice and have this happen to you... Like the guy really wanted to lose his quad or go for a swim...  ::)..keep your usless input to yourself. The guy is looking for real help not some D-bag with dumb comments.

Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline Team Lightning

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Proud Gawker of the BIKINI ICE FISHING TEAM !!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2011, 09:32 PM »
do some looking on youtube...there are videos there showing how they got larger vehicles out...it may help.

Offline O.NE-CrappieMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2011, 10:16 PM »
Its a shame how some of these people are talking mess on here, when the man is asking for help... I mean if I'm mistaken, I thought that's what this online ice fishing community was all about right?  Not pooping on the next man

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 16, 2011, 10:18 PM »
Don

Offline SKilo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2011, 10:32 PM »
Quit talking about it, don't post your coordinates, and hurry up! Chances are your already busted though

I don't think the guy is trying to hide the fact he lost his wheeler since he called the fire department. From the sounds of it he just doesn't have the resources locally to help him out so he's looking for some ideas. I'm sure he's not an expert at ice salvaging and for that matter unless your in the business or have gotten enough of your own stuff wet, who is?

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2011, 10:45 PM »
Cut a good sized hole just in front of your quad with a chainsaw and place 3 large pieces of lumber/logs on the bottom just in front of your quad and the other end of the logs on top of the ice so they basically create a ramp for the quad to slide up out of the water and back on top of the ice.

They will be at about a 30 to 40 degree angle depending on how far ahead of the quad you cut your hole for the quad to come up through.

Make sure you cut your hole only as wide as the quad b/c you don't want your lumber rolling away to the sides on you when the quad is being winched off the bottom.

Once your logs are in place in front of your quad creating a ramp for the quad to slide up on, attach a cable to the front of the quad and just winch it up the ramp you've made with the lumber/logs until it's back on top of the ice.

I've seen trucks come out this way a few times and it's pretty quick and easy. Hardest part is attaching your cable to the front of the quad. Once that's in place, your laughing.

Make sense or clear as mudd?? Lol.

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2011, 11:04 PM »
Jig with a rope and hook until you snag a part of it, if there is thick ice nearby use planks to lever it out.  If not you'll have to cut through the ice  all the way to shore. 

Offline jfkro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2011, 11:32 PM »
I seen a heavy duty magnet with eyelet at Harbor Freight.  Holds 250 lbs.  I would use the cam to drop a winch line down to rack and through one of the bars.  Then grab it with the magnet to pull the hook back to the surface.   Then only if you have GOOD ice I would approach the opening with another ATV from say 50-75 feet and back it out cutting behind the ATV with a chain saw to allow the cable to follow you to the shoreline.
If you are already close enough to the shoreline, then just winch it from close to shore and use the chainsaw.   Glad you are ok.  I will say prayers for you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.