Author Topic: Tip Up for Carp?  (Read 10989 times)

Offline kamilinthere

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tip Up for Carp?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 17, 2010, 10:39 AM »
ive been carp fishing since a young age to and americans dont like carp --> no ofence just saying<--
LIFE STARTS WHEN FISHING SEASON STARTS
use camo to sneak up on the fish :D

Offline stoph

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 17, 2010, 10:51 AM »
i'm never offended, i know MOST americans hate carp. To be honest i'm kinda glad, as a carp fisherman you know how spooky they are, the less pressure the better as far as i am concerned! (i'd hate to see it become as tough as england here!) But if a north american shows an interest in catching carp, i just can't help myself but get excited on thier behalf! i've taken about 7 or 8 canadians out carping with me and ALL of them have become pretty avid carp fishermen since (buying baitrunners, carp rods etc). Personally i only target them spring and early summer (bass season doesn't open till almost july here in ontario!) since i moved over here i target so many amazing species i also love, carp is just another option and how got into this fishing lark to begin with!

Offline kamilinthere

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 17, 2010, 10:54 AM »
i know places were ive caught 36 3-7 lb carp overnight [ in 6 hours] so i love carp fishing and ive caught record holding carp in ny and nj its an awsome game fish and they do get big ive caught 40 lbers and ive seen people use worms as bait -----------> doesnt work as well as corn yes corn is the best for carp u need to chum the waters with corn and then they get use to feeding on the corn just make sure its legal in your areas

Offline kamilinthere

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 17, 2010, 10:55 AM »
ice never fished for carp on the ice i wonder how much fun that is anyone know the dept the carp hide in under the ice?

Offline stoph

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 17, 2010, 10:59 AM »
i've never caught one ice fishing either. They won't be feeding much if at all, they will all school up together in the warmest water availible (i've seen that)
 Chum won't help in water under 50 f as they are not actively feeding, i'd try mico jigs and maggots and you may get 'reaction' bites.

Offline kamilinthere

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 17, 2010, 11:04 AM »
ahh hell with it then i knew they werent active but that carp on the first page is a state record i think ive never tryed bass so thats mny goal now :P

Offline prayforice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2013 2nd Place Crappie!
« Reply #36 on: Feb 17, 2010, 01:44 PM »

Offline kamilinthere

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 17, 2010, 01:46 PM »
how much did it wiegh?

Offline prayforice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 17, 2010, 04:47 PM »
a little over 60

Offline kamilinthere

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 17, 2010, 04:47 PM »
state record?

Offline Corporal Punishment

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 17, 2010, 05:52 PM »
i know places were ive caught 36 3-7 lb carp overnight [ in 6 hours] so i love carp fishing and ive caught record holding carp in ny and nj its an awsome game fish and they do get big ive caught 40 lbers and ive seen people use worms as bait -----------> doesnt work as well as corn yes corn is the best for carp u need to chum the waters with corn and then they get use to feeding on the corn just make sure its legal in your areas

Corn is not the best for carp,theres a concoction made with corn meal/strawberry jello/sugar and optional vanilla thats better!!!!Its called a doby ball..... ;D

Offline kamilinthere

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 17, 2010, 06:22 PM »
ok find flavored corn ill walk to the nearest store buy corn and use it but ur right and i do use flavored corn sometimes too.

Offline prayforice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 18, 2010, 09:19 AM »
A few pounds away but I snagged it so I assume it wouldnt count anyways..Our lakes do have much bigger though..Easily a state record in there I just dont know how to catch them lol

Offline kamilinthere

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 18, 2010, 09:20 AM »
A few pounds away but I snagged it so I assume it wouldnt count anyways..Our lakes do have much bigger though..Easily a state record in there I just dont know how to catch them lol
what state is this?

Offline isthereiceyet89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "the Green Hornet strikes again!!!"
« Reply #44 on: Feb 18, 2010, 09:23 AM »
is that a big head carp?

Offline kamilinthere

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 18, 2010, 09:24 AM »
i also have another question i know what its called in polish but i dont know what the carp with bigger scales is called anyone who ever caught one will know what im talking about

Offline isthereiceyet89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 18, 2010, 09:28 AM »
yeah iv caught one b4 i thought it was mutant lol... dont know the name for them

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #47 on: Feb 18, 2010, 09:31 AM »
Would the cheap tip-ups work for carp? I broke off 5 of the darn things today and would like to catch a few of them. I really dont want to spend a lot on them as there is nothing else I would use them for.

Would these work? http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/ht-enterprises-fisherman-tip-up-black-with-200-spool.aspx?a=329010 Keep in mind that they would only be used a couple times a year.

And I just use dacron line on them with a mono or flouro leader, right?

I have caught many fish with those old type of tip ups they were the old ones made of wood, they work. I haven't used them in years. Back in the day I caught as many fish with them as the guys with the fancy arctic beaver dam tip ups.

Offline stoph

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 18, 2010, 09:42 AM »
 isthereicethereyet,  no thats a common carp.

kamilinthere   i think you are thinking about 'mirror carp', there's lots of them in europe and not so many in north america. In england i'd catch mirrors and commons 50/50    here in ontario last season i caught just about 500 carp, only 2 were mirrors......

Offline kamilinthere

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 18, 2010, 09:45 AM »
ill put a picture up but i catch them 1/4 and ye thier from europe alot easyer to clean :p and also give a awsome fight all carp do unless you got a small one

Offline isthereiceyet89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 18, 2010, 09:53 AM »
yeah thats what they r couldnt think of it

Offline stoph

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 18, 2010, 11:12 AM »
 Corporal p there aint no magic bait for carp, sometimes some flavours just work better than others. I make my own boilies, in warmer water i like really fruity flavours and in cooler water i like fishy flavours (the channel cats can be a pain tho!) any serious carper has an arsenal of bait flavours!

Mirrors and commons come from the same fish, commons were selectively bred to become scaless to make them easier to harvest for food. (thats right carp were brought into north america with the intention of becoming THE food fish!)

Prayfor ice if you wanna learn to catch carp, use google and start with these terms....

"knotless knot"      "bolt rig"

If you guys start getting into them and want to catch and release please handle carp with care, they are way to big fat and heavy to be held up by the gills, pick them up by supporting them under the belly just like buddys there on page 1, the one caught on the ice (kudos to the catcher of that fish btw, HOG! 2lb line too - respect to you sir!)

Wet nets and tight lines to anyone that gives em a go (without a snagging or bow hunting)

Offline kamilinthere

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 18, 2010, 11:36 AM »
carp are an awsome type of fish
if u constintly feed them a type of food they will get use to it and take feed on it more often
bait corn to flavored corn you should also try this protien balls for carp :D

Offline prayforice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 18, 2010, 11:39 AM »
the state being Illinois and the carp being a grass carp or amur i believe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Feb 18, 2010, 11:48 AM »
Corporal p there aint no magic bait for carp, sometimes some flavours just work better than others. I make my own boilies, in warmer water i like really fruity flavours and in cooler water i like fishy flavours (the channel cats can be a pain tho!) any serious carper has an arsenal of bait flavours!

Mirrors and commons come from the same fish, commons were selectively bred to become scaless to make them easier to harvest for food. (thats right carp were brought into north america with the intention of becoming THE food fish!)

Prayfor ice if you wanna learn to catch carp, use google and start with these terms....

"knotless knot"      "bolt rig"

If you guys start getting into them and want to catch and release please handle carp with care, they are way to big fat and heavy to be held up by the gills, pick them up by supporting them under the belly just like buddys there on page 1, the one caught on the ice (kudos to the catcher of that fish btw, HOG! 2lb line too - respect to you sir!)

Wet nets and tight lines to anyone that gives em a go (without a snagging or bow hunting)

Its the best bait to use in the river!!!!The sugar actually  dissolves the bait slowly carrying the scent down river....Corn cant hold the scent to well!!!

Offline kamilinthere

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 18, 2010, 11:53 AM »

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 18, 2010, 12:00 PM »
What do you do with them kamilinthere?

Offline kamilinthere

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 18, 2010, 12:01 PM »
keep em alive on the line for the picture at the end and then take em home :) and get them smoked

Offline kamilinthere

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 18, 2010, 12:02 PM »

here are others

Offline stoph

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 18, 2010, 12:09 PM »
o.k cp, you gotta magic bait! I think the U.S paylakers are king of baits, they only use a plain puff as a hookbait and mould some chum around it, its an exact science!

My preference for chum is soaked birdseed, i don't like to chum with what i'm using for hookbait, i want my hookbait to be the tastiest thing around! because the birdseed is so small it keeps them around and interested sucking up the bottom looking for it, if you chum with just corn they will eat it all in 5 mins and leave. When fishing i continue to chum little and often. i use a spod to get it out there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.