The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: 1st time to Higgins lake  (Read 1206 times)

Offline bensonr2

• IceShanty Rookie
1st time to Higgins lake
« on: Feb 12, 2008, 09:49 PM »
Headed to Higgins this weekend for first time ever.  Looking to catch some perch.  Anyone got any advice on what works, bait store location, parking, etc?  Thanks in advance.

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
Re: 1st time to Higgins lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2008, 10:05 PM »
Headed to Higgins this weekend for first time ever.  Looking to catch some perch.  Anyone got any advice on what works, bait store location, parking, etc?  Thanks in advance.

Yeah I have some good advise for ya, turn around while you still can ;). Higgins is doing very porly rite now but I think it's from all the bad weather. I hope you get lucky and get good weather and good bites. Sorry i don't have any info for ya but Higgins just isn't doing good rite now and it is the first time in 5 years that I have seen it this bad. GOOD LUCK

Offline pine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2008, 06:55 AM »
everybody else was reporting good catches on perch last week end ??? ???
love to ice fish

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2008, 11:10 AM »
everybody else was reporting good catches on perch last week end ??? ???

Ask them how hard it was to find those fish and they will tell ya. I'm not saying that you can't do good I'm just saying your going to need skill and allot of luck to find them where as last year and other years it wouldn't take much to find them. I talk to most of the guys that fish on Higgins and it is very slow fishing rite now, but hey the fish can turn on in a blink of an eye so I hope you can prove me wrong and slaughter them. GOOD LUCK ;)

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2008, 12:17 PM »
  They were catching perch but that was last week. You can still catch perch but the are not very big and you have to do alot of sorting. I just came off the lake and have been out ther since daylight. It was -10 when I left home this morning and it is about 15 now whith a stiff breeze so bring lots of warm clothes. If you do come up come expecting not to catch much and if you catch alot you can go home happy.

Offline fisherman brian

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2008, 01:41 PM »
im going up to higgins this weekend for the first time to someone gave me this site to look at it helped alot and i appreciated it i think you will to.

http://www.visithoughtonlake.com/fishhigginsmap.html

Offline tubebait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2008, 11:55 AM »
My buddies and fished it two weekends ago and did not do well,  we caught a ton of perch, but you'd have to catch 15 untill u got one worth keeping.  We tried right off the big point, on the south side of it.  its a steep drop off, but we got the perch in 35 - 55 fow.  we were all by ourselves out there, which was nice, but like i said, size was lacking.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.