The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Set Ups for Crappie????????  (Read 2339 times)

Offline xjjesterx

• IceShanty Rookie
Set Ups for Crappie????????
« on: Feb 09, 2008, 02:33 PM »
Hey i heard cranberry lake in Kent as alot of crappie in there.....is this true?????   What are the best setups for them???? ???

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Set Ups for Crappie????????
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2008, 03:27 PM »
Not sure if they're in there or not?? I know i catch em real good on regular teardrops and spikes, mousies, or glo spikes, but kin never go wrong with a minnow? Cant know for sure until ya give it a shot!

Offline icecaptain

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2008, 03:43 PM »
yes there are crappie in cranberry, havnt fished there this year though.  I always use a teardrop with a minnow. sometimes spikes/waxies work too.  recently we have been using small trebble hooks with a minnow
"the worst day of fishing is always better than a great day at work"

Offline gillgetter02

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2008, 09:24 PM »
yep, alot of specs in there but rarely any of decent size. Good place to learn but thats about it.

Offline BC Dorf 5600

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2008, 09:31 PM »
Yup there are in there but they sure go in streaks.  Caught a dozen in a half hour last night then didnt get another in two hours.  I was using a minnow with a size 16 treble hook.

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2008, 07:22 AM »
Used to fish crappie at night often, I don't recall targeting 'em during the day. Used to jig with waxies one one rod and dead sticked another with a small split shot/#10 hook/minnow.

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2008, 05:00 PM »
I like using a small Swedish Pimple tipped with a minner. Sundown is when you want to start wetting lines.
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2008, 06:00 PM »
see idk.... ive always done the best during the day for crappie and on wax worms and almost everyone says at night with a minnow (the exact opposite) so really the only way to know how to do good is to try
Another crappie.........yay!

Offline carver1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I CANT LEAVE, I ALMOST HAD A BITE
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2008, 06:05 PM »
see idk.... ive always done the best during the day for crappie and on wax worms and almost everyone says at night with a minnow (the exact opposite) so really the only way to know how to do good is to try
I agree Sparta. I have a lake in Oakland county that the crappie bite is waxworms in the daylite.... Once dark comes you cannot buy a bite..... I have another lake in Oakland county that is exact opposite. You can only catch them at night ( sometimes like 1am) w/ minnows or wigglers...... Now the night spot is off a 24ft bay and the day spot is a canal. Not sure if that makes a diffrence but the bite is opposite.... All you can do is test runs and see what happens

Offline speckslayer888

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2008, 08:46 PM »
i catch em right before dark with a glowing teardrop tipped with a minnow on a real light action slip bobber

Whos got the fish whistle???

Offline xjjesterx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2008, 08:13 AM »
Ok, now I'm really going to show how much of a rookie I am, but what's a spike? I know wax worm and mousie never heard of spike.

Offline jjmoser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • give me cold temps and I'll keep em comming
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2008, 08:27 AM »
Ok, now I'm really going to show how much of a rookie I am, but what's a spike? I know wax worm and mousie never heard of spike.
Its all good...... rookies turn into vet's by asking questions.  Spikes are small larva that look like spikes there is another form of spikes that are sometimes called euro larva and are multi colored.  Try them they can work wonders on a tough bite.
My go to rig for crappies is simple a teardrop with a loop knot and minnow attached to a slip bobber.  When the bite is hot I sometimes just dead stick it.  When the bite is not hot I will jig with spoons or small jigs with larva or minnow heads. 

Offline xjjesterx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2008, 08:50 AM »
I appreciate the all the input.

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2008, 09:04 AM »
Whenevr i fish crappie, i dead stick a minnow on a small jig head, and jig a small glow jig with a small fineese plastic, and waxie for scent.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2008, 09:13 AM »
My lake crappie bite rite before dark and into the night #8 tru turn tipped with minnows

Offline fishybill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • insidious
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2008, 09:14 AM »
all lakes are different.  You just have to experiment.

Generally after dark is the best for me.   For some reason I do way better outside the shanty with the lantern.  I use only minnows after dark.
"Put duct tape on that, if it don't fix it atleast we'll know its ...... up"

Offline The Splash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2008, 12:00 PM »

I have gone to a lake three times this winter.  I had never been there before. The lake was on my Navionics chip. The first time we went we fished all day with very little success. Right before dark I moved over a deep hole that I found using the gps and navionics chip and lit the lantern. We caught crappie all night.
  I have found that I have to switch bait and lures quite a bit. I was starting with 4 rods. One with a slip bobber and tiny treble and minnow. One with a small jig and little atom nuggie. A Red glow spoon and lastly a green glow spoon. I prefer the spoons with a chunk of minnow or minnow head. I like the treble hooks for higher percentage of hooking them good (bring hemostats to get the hooks out).
  I will alternate minnows, chunks of minnows, wax worms, spikes and soft plastics. My biggest last time came on plastic.
  I just bought two more rods for crappie. I highly suggest you have multiple rods so you don't waste time retying. Gander Mountain in Flint had a good selection of rods and combos last Thursday at 40% off. Don't know what's left now?

A Vexilar is a must! Crappie always suspend. I'm in 30 fow catching them at 18 feet to 4 feet below the ice.

Hope this helps.

Offline addicted2ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2008, 12:12 PM »
  I have gone to a lake three times this winter.  I had never been there before. The lake was on my Navionics chip. The first time we went we fished all day with very little success. Right before dark I moved over a deep hole that I found using the gps and navionics chip and lit the lantern. We caught crappie all night.
  I have found that I have to switch bait and lures quite a bit. I was starting with 4 rods. One with a slip bobber and tiny treble and minnow. One with a small jig and little atom nuggie. A Red glow spoon and lastly a green glow spoon. I prefer the spoons with a chunk of minnow or minnow head. I like the treble hooks for higher percentage of hooking them good (bring hemostats to get the hooks out).
  I will alternate minnows, chunks of minnows, wax worms, spikes and soft plastics. My biggest last time came on plastic.
  I just bought two more rods for crappie. I highly suggest you have multiple rods so you don't waste time retying. Gander Mountain in Flint had a good selection of rods and combos last Thursday at 40% off. Don't know what's left now?

A Vexilar is a must! Crappie always suspend. I'm in 30 fow catching them at 18 feet to 4 feet below the ice.

Hope this helps.

^^^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Offline The Splash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2008, 01:01 PM »
I appreciate the all the input.

I sent you a pm. Hope it helps

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.