The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Perch spawn time.  (Read 2513 times)

Offline Shep

• IceShanty Rookie
Perch spawn time.
« on: Feb 07, 2008, 07:55 PM »
Do perch typically spawn before ice out or just after?

Offline fishinfool96

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh yeah!!!
Re: Perch spawn time.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2008, 08:09 PM »
Just after, I believe water temp around 45 degrees. Isolated bays with scattered weeds, main lake bays, shallow water on protected side of points, shorline shoals, and tops of mid-lake reefs are some likely spawning spots.

Offline wartfroggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2008, 07:00 AM »
yup, thats about right

Offline luckyfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2008, 11:56 AM »
seems to me like the perch may spawn a little early this year. i was out at one of my bluegill fishing spots with a buddie the other day and he caught 10 perch, " but the thing is we were in 3 ft of water!" they were defenitly their to spaw.

Offline wartfroggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2008, 01:18 PM »
seems to me like the perch may spawn a little early this year. i was out at one of my bluegill fishing spots with a buddie the other day and he caught 10 perch, " but the thing is we were in 3 ft of water!" they were defenitly their to spaw.

They could have been there for alot of reasons besides spawning.  Food, cover, temp, oxygen levels, barametric pressure and weather, fishing pressure.  There is no good way to tell WHY a fish is where it is.  It is there because it wants to be, for some reason.  But it is very early to see perch spawning, or even staging for prespawn. They are still more worried about food and safety than spawning this early in the season.

Offline fishinfool96

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh yeah!!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2008, 01:20 PM »
They could have been there for alot of reasons besides spawning.  Food, cover, temp, oxygen levels, barametric pressure and weather, fishing pressure.  There is no good way to tell WHY a fish is where it is.  It is there because it wants to be, for some reason.  But it is very early to see perch spawning, or even staging for prespawn. They are still more worried about food and safety than spawning this early in the season.
I totally agree. Just because they are shallow dosent mean their spawning.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.