The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: The Ford Lake Skunk  (Read 896 times)

Offline motorcity

• IceShanty Rookie
The Ford Lake Skunk
« on: Feb 07, 2008, 10:24 AM »
Solunar tables predicted the "best" fishing, barometer is dropping, cloudy day, seems perfect conditions for fishing yesterday, right? I hit Ford Lake out from the boat ramp at Ford Lake park yesterday, and got the big skunk for my efforts. 3rd time out ice fishing this lake, havent caught a damn thing. In fact, I've fished this lake on and off again, since I was 13 (I'm 40 now!) and havent caught a thing in this lake. I read the fish species report, on how just about everything is in this lake (Walleye, perch, pike, musky, catfish, crappie, etc etc) and havent caught a damn thing. Is there even fish in this lake?

BTW, ice was 4.5" clear, and 1-1.5 inches white. I spudded my way as I went. Had on my PFD and screwdrivers in pockets.

Offline jjmoser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • give me cold temps and I'll keep em comming
Re: The Ford Lake Skunk
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2008, 11:29 AM »
Ford is a weird lake it does better for me in the doldrums of winter when everything is good and locked up.  The perch come right in the 30 ft drop right of the Ford lake boat launch.  Then as winter progresses I fish right by the dam off of ridge rd.  I have never done super there either but it is nice to get 10 or so nice perch and a bonus eye if I am lucky.  I think that when the lake is soft is some spots the fish move to that area i.e the inlet by 94 and the ford plant and the shallows around it.  This year has been diffrent in which we have had off and on warm spells.  They are in the shallows I think and wont move the rest of the season.....too bad it is a 3 mile hike to get anyware on that lake besides the boat ramp.  I have never seen anyone fish another place in that lake besides the boat launch or the dam area.  I have been catching most my fish this year (on other lakes) in the shallows with still nice green weeds have not moved much deeper than 12 ft.

Offline motorcity

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2008, 01:07 PM »
I tried in the 30 foot area, moved to 20, 15 foot, no luck.  I had my Marcum flasher with me.  I'm surprised how quickly things drop off in that lake. Heck, at the end of the wooden boat ramp its 20 feet! 

I see what you are saying about access in that lake. Not much at all, and the darn parks close early, just when the (wallleye) bite is supposed to on!   I just had a fish coming in and sniffing my lure yesterday, when the car came by blowing his horn loudly, saying "we're closing, get off the lake".  I replied back, and the fish took off.  Lets just say I had to "leave" (hide, somewhat) my fishing stuff there, drive out of the park, and hike back in to do some fishing.  Yes, I had a hike ahead of me when I found some "legal" parking.  Then I had to hike back out dragging my stuff.  Needless to say, I was whipped, and skunked!

I'm allready strategizing my spring fishing on the lake, I have my mountain bike and belly boat waiting....

Offline filletandrelease

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2008, 04:10 PM »
I don't think I would eat anything out of that lake!  Forget the fillet and release.  Definitely catch and release on that lake.

Offline jjmoser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • give me cold temps and I'll keep em comming
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2008, 08:42 AM »
I don't think I would eat anything out of that lake!  Forget the fillet and release.  Definitely catch and release on that lake.
Ahhhhhh.......that's an urban legend.  The fish are good out of that lake we, myself included, forget there is river running threw it and filtering it.  It cleaned up from years past pollution just like Erie.  Infact its flowage is connected to Erie and thousands harvest those waters.

Offline icerookie78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2008, 05:58 PM »
went out to Ford a few weeks back, lot of people in front of the boat launch area, no one catching anything. we only marked a few fish, and caught 2 dinks ( one walleye and one perch). When i was a kid we used to fish off pier at loonfeather park (On Grove rd.) is that park closed during the winter months now? Gate was locked when we drove by.  Belleville lake real close to that, any of you have any luck there?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.