The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: underwater camera  (Read 2123 times)

Offline icecaptain

• Team IceShanty Addict
underwater camera
« on: Dec 31, 2009, 10:37 PM »
Hey guys/girls  which camera do you think is the best?   Also are they worth getting?  I was looking at the MarCum vs380....looks pretty cool.   I already own a vexilar and thought a camera might be a fun addition to my ice fishing equipment.
"the worst day of fishing is always better than a great day at work"

Offline meandean

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: underwater camera
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2010, 12:04 AM »
Hey guys/girls  which camera do you think is the best?   Also are they worth getting?  I was looking at the MarCum vs380....looks pretty cool.   I already own a vexilar and thought a camera might be a fun addition to my ice fishing equipment.
    I have Cabela's version .  Going to try it today! I'll let you know what I think of it. I'm a first time user. Can't wait to try it out.

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2010, 08:24 AM »
i had to get rid of mine i had a aqua vu se i liked it but i spent so much time messing with it that i barely fished so i offed it. but know i miss it it was kind of cool seeing it down there i was thinking about getting aqua vu with the little lights on the sides of the fish that looked neat
FISH ON

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2010, 09:22 AM »
everything with the cameras has to be just right. water clarity and so forth. they will help select fish. I have the 150$ one I would spend anything more than that again, if this one goes I'm not sure if I will even get another one.

Offline icehousepsycho

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2010, 09:27 AM »
Cameras are a great tool.  I use one in conjunction with my Vex.  They are great to confirm what's on your flasher.  Water does need to be clearish.  I have an Aqua-Vu and love it.  I recommend both both pieces of equipment if your budget allows.  It is also a lot of fun to set up your camera in a hole a foot or 2 beside the one your fishing in and watch the fish hit your lure.  I've seen 5 lb bass inhale my jigging lure.

Offline frozen_feet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2010, 09:47 AM »
i have the cabelas camera and i enjoy it water does need to be clear its is fun watching what fish are around. not only that but my wife goes around and looks down the other holes so it buys me more fishing time :)
matt

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2010, 09:53 AM »
Ive had mine a two years.... have used it maybe 4 times.  I feel it's a big PITA.  Get a used one or a cheaper one.  My optics and screen are just as good as my father's Aquaview. I use the Fish TV. 

M.I.R.C. 

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2010, 09:56 AM »
Guys I heard the Marcum cameras with the new technology do alot better in darker water. Anybody out there that can comfirm this. Thanks Glenn
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2010, 10:03 AM »
I use mine nearly all the time. The flasher gets just a few more hours on it because of chasing down the active fish. When I settle in on a good bite both are running full time. As a matter of fact I don't know how I could set up the camera for suspended fish without the Vexilar to get my presentation in front of it.
I understand Marcum bought out Aqua-VU and it looks like prices are still reasonable. We have a couple of Aqua-Vu's and nothing but good luck with them.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2010, 10:12 AM »
I use mine nearly all the time. The flasher gets just a few more hours on it because of chasing down the active fish. When I settle in on a good bite both are running full time. As a matter of fact I don't know how I could set up the camera for suspended fish without the Vexilar to get my presentation in front of it.
I understand Marcum bought out Aqua-VU and it looks like prices are still reasonable. We have a couple of Aqua-Vu's and nothing but good luck with them.

:tipup:
NBG
You bring up a good point about the cameras here. A vex, or ANY SONAR ...looks at the whole water column...from your hole...right to the bottom.

a camera, sees only the depth its set at! (unless you down view with it,and then you are limited on how far you can actually "see" . )

yesterday i was fishing in 12 f.o.w. on a crystal clear lake. The big bluegills and the crappies were hugging the bottom. I could see them on my camera.
But they wouldn't bite down there.  >:(  To catch the fish yesterday...i had to jig them up to 8 ft. down! the fish that would follow up...would bite at 4 ft. off bottom only! Without the Vex...i would have went home skunked, just thinking the fish weren't biting today.... ::)

Offline skunkmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2010, 11:11 AM »
you can always downview to get a good portion of the water column.

I only use mine to get right on structure, then I pull it up to fish.  I've lost fish because of the stupid thing down there.  I also think it spooks he bigger fish.

Offline n4cer26

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2010, 11:25 AM »
you can always downview to get a good portion of the water column.

I only use mine to get right on structure, then I pull it up to fish.  I've lost fish because of the stupid thing down there.  I also think it spooks he bigger fish.

I have the cabaelas black and white model......works absolutley great and got it on sale for $79.  I bought the optional tripod that sets over the hole which you suspend the video cable from....it has a rubber knob that gribs the line and makes turning the camera a breeze.  I also purchased the reel weeds for the camera cable.  It really helps hide the line and camera.  Might even attract the fish....so they say.  My luck last couple of times out has been bad though....fish just werent bitingq1

Offline mcflyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2010, 03:46 PM »
Try this little experiment. 
1. Find fish with your flasher. 
2. Fish to these fish with your jigging rod 
3.  Note how many fish you are seeing on the flasher. 
4.  Drill a new hole 3 feet away from the hole you are fishing in.
5.  Look at your flasher again, and confirm that the fish are still there. 
6.  Lower your camera into the hole as carefully as you can. 
7.  Now note how many fish are on the flasher.

I have done this over an over with the same results.  The fish move away from the camera.  They will come back in a few minutes, but I always wonder if they are more skittish with the camera there.  I use mine for a couple of different specific things.  It is great for entertaining my Dad who has a very short attention span, and few patience.  It also very useful for learning to use your flasher.  I have pretty good idea what a soft mucky bottom looks like on my vexilar now.  The camera showed it to me. 

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2010, 08:27 PM »
Try this little experiment. 
1. Find fish with your flasher. 
2. Fish to these fish with your jigging rod 
3.  Note how many fish you are seeing on the flasher. 
4.  Drill a new hole 3 feet away from the hole you are fishing in.
5.  Look at your flasher again, and confirm that the fish are still there. 
6.  Lower your camera into the hole as carefully as you can. 
7.  Now note how many fish are on the flasher.

I have done this over an over with the same results.  The fish move away from the camera.  They will come back in a few minutes, but I always wonder if they are more skittish with the camera there.  I use mine for a couple of different specific things.  It is great for entertaining my Dad who has a very short attention span, and few patience.  It also very useful for learning to use your flasher.  I have pretty good idea what a soft mucky bottom looks like on my vexilar now.  The camera showed it to me. 
the cameras are actually a great learning tool...what you think is happening down there, and what really is...are often two different things!

Great for action/reaction....some jigging techniques attract fish...others repel them!

try this:
set up the camera on your jig...
now do what you normally do,with your rod.
now try whipping the snot out of your rod.(so much that you have froth in your hole) you would think that jig would be all over the place down there? Is it?   ;)

Offline skunkmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2010, 08:39 PM »
the cameras are actually a great learning tool...what you think is happening down there, and what really is...are often two different things!

Great for action/reaction....some jigging techniques attract fish...others repel them!

try this:
set up the camera on your jig...
now do what you normally do,with your rod.
now try whipping the snot out of your rod.(so much that you have froth in your hole) you would think that jig would be all over the place down there? Is it?   ;)

Seems like the camera would be tough to get on a small jig. :)

Offline babills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2010, 09:32 PM »
I always use my aqua vu used it today, son had fun watching 8 and 9 in gills crush his jig. Lots of fun and great to no when they just have the waxie or the whole ig in thier mouths. My hookups are alot better with the camera.

Offline meandean

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2010, 10:44 PM »
 Used the new camera tonite it dose seem to spook the fish. After the crappie quit bitting , I put the camera down the hole all I seen were more minnows then the bait shop had !

Offline waronfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2010, 12:09 AM »
no cam. needed............. already have 2 much crap to git on the ice............ my 5 gal. bucket  and beer is all i need................ve x also........I like to look at the prety lights........... If i want a fish cam i stay home and watch some one on t.v. catchin fish....        .......... plus you need clear water 4 it to work...........fish on....

Offline Whale79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2010, 07:08 AM »
Guys I heard the Marcum cameras with the new technology do alot better in darker water. Anybody out there that can comfirm this. Thanks Glenn

I can, I own the v380 and its awesome. Works just as well in stained water.
Fish ON!!!!!!!!!!

Offline BlueMoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:46 AM »
 I have an older Aqua Vu and i use it everytime im out on the ice. It works great during the day light hours. I drill a hole approx. 2-4 feet in front of my fishing hole and drop in the camera, then adjust the camera cable until i can see my bait. Ive caught many fish that i otherwise wouldnt have ever known that they had inhaled my bait. It doesnt seem to spook the fish. Ive seen many fish swim right up to the lens to check it out. I have used it in up to 30 feet of water with great visability.
BlueMoon

Offline nickabod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2010, 09:59 AM »
I just got one from santa this year. We spotted a big pike thru our gill hole and switched to a jigging rod. The pike swam up and checked it out for a minute.... ten left.

Not that great of a story but we were excited and would have never had the chance at him otherwise.

I'll always use my camera after seeing that.

Offline damanfrgr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Well I guess!!!LETS DO THIS
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2010, 05:37 PM »
got one for sale ??? cheap do not like it had it for 3 yrs used it 4 times!!!pm with obo
FISH:)mmm good

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2010, 05:56 PM »
Not a real big fan of cameras. I find them to be to slow.  If I'm waiting out schools of perch or jigging for walleye they have there place.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Offline damanfrgr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Well I guess!!!LETS DO THIS
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2010, 06:00 PM »
Not a real big fan of cameras. I find them to be to slow.  If I'm waiting out schools of perch or jigging for walleye they have there place.
thats bout it !!!!!!! just got a vex fl8 love it
FISH:)mmm good

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.