Author Topic: Stranded on the ice  (Read 1925 times)

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
Stranded on the ice
« on: Mar 13, 2021, 11:46 AM »
What should you do if the ice cracks near the shore and you can't get off? Does your sled float? Can you use it like a raft? I wonder how much weight it would hold on the water? I wonder if you could use waders if the water is only 4ft deep and pull your sled over the water?
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Stranded on the ice
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2021, 12:02 PM »
call 911

Offline GP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2021, 12:06 PM »
Lol. Are serious? Not sure what kind of sled you have, but I hope I am never in a situation where I would have to use my sled as a raft. Don’t think I would get to far. YMMV.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2021, 01:17 PM »
The ice often melts away from the edges in the spring. Once the snow goes on the bank, the ground warms, and the ice thins and eventually separates from the shore. People here will start carrying planks soon to get on and off. In years past, there was a volunteer effort to build a wooden bridge large enough for snowmobiles and 4 wheelers to access the ice. I have used waders before, but getting on to the ice sheet can be tough- the first few feet are thin and wet and slick.
If your sled is big and deep enough, it will float, but it probably is not stable enough to float you and your gear. A cheap vinyl raft would probably be a better bet.

The fact that you are still going out when conditions are like this means you will get wet at some point. Wet is just inconvenient, but drowning will eliminate all future ice seasons. Be sure you have all safety equipment and have a buddy if you are going to push it late season.

Don't risk anything you are not prepared to lose for a few fish.

:)

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2021, 01:28 PM »
We were caught out on Oneida lake one spring when the shore ice melted and shifted out so there was 30 some feet of open water to the shore.  We (3 sleds) went back out a couple hundred yards and gunned it one at a time.  We all got to the shore by skimming across the water surface to the ramp.  I don't recommend much more then 30' of open water.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2021, 02:16 PM »
There was a time when I was going to buy some plastic barrels.  Was always thinking of doing a floating barrel pontoon thing.  ;D  When young, a lot of crazy ideas come easy.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline nindo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2021, 03:41 PM »
We were caught out on Oneida lake one spring when the shore ice melted and shifted out so there was 30 some feet of open water to the shore.  We (3 sleds) went back out a couple hundred yards and gunned it one at a time.  We all got to the shore by skimming across the water surface to the ramp.  I don't recommend much more then 30' of open water.

Now when you say sleds, I assume you mean snowmobiles?
Keep Your Stick On The Ice!

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2021, 05:51 PM »
depends how and what you pack. I found out the hard way my jet sled did not function as a gear barge. I had more weight on one side and as soon as it hit the water it rolled and dumped my gear in the water..luckily near shore at seasons end when it was warm out

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2021, 08:53 AM »
Now when you say sleds, I assume you mean snowmobiles?

I'd like to see you 'gun it' without a snowmobile and skim across 30 ft of open water! 

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2021, 09:37 AM »
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2021, 07:49 PM »
Wow thats awesome!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2021, 06:37 AM »
At the end last year I went out early with my Snowdog and flip shanty sled from the launch. No problem at all and the ice was fine. While out all day long some jerkblock idiot tried to drive his truck onto  the ice from the ramp and busted up all the ice so I could not drive back off. He was bale to back it out but made a complete mess ending all the launching from that day on. I had to drive around the lake asking property owners if I could drive onto their property to get off. The first two owners said NO but the third guy had watched the idiot in the truck and said his hood was completely under water and he was lucky the engine stayed running for him to back out once he got it in 4 WD. This homeowner drove me around to the launch to get my truck and trailer and helped me get my gear loaded in his driveway. Snowdogs can't swim.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2021, 06:58 AM »
I'd like to see you 'gun it' without a snowmobile and skim across 30 ft of open water!

I was a sprinter in college, but I don;t think I would make it very far!  ;) ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Where's the FISH?!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2021, 08:03 AM »
 I use to fish with some guys that would (leave their sleds on the ice) and row to and from shore with there canoes ,  when the ice got really bad they would get a running start and run them up on shore , 70s-80s , thanks RuttNutt
 The new Lynx has 3” paddles and 165 HP bet that thing would do well on water

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 17, 2021, 08:00 AM »
Lmao this had me cracking up sit in the sled and row across

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #16 on: Mar 17, 2021, 09:54 AM »
Lmao this had me cracking up sit in the sled and row across

same lmao. Everyone needs an SS Trout in their lives.  :roflmao:

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #17 on: Mar 17, 2021, 11:11 AM »
What should you do if the ice cracks near the shore and you can't get off? Does your sled float? Can you use it like a raft? I wonder how much weight it would hold on the water? I wonder if you could use waders if the water is only 4ft deep and pull your sled over the water?

Well this happened to me once on Francis E. Walter Dam. The shore was solid when we went out, but the day was warm and on the way off there was 2 feet of water at the shore. We walked thru and drug the sleds threw; they seemed to float. We did not have much gear. I just wonder if the water was 4ft; what would happen. I hope this never happens to you.
AKA Dinkmaster

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.