Author Topic: Should I Get Into Ice Fishing  (Read 4503 times)

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
Re: Should I Get Into Ice Fishing
« Reply #30 on: Mar 12, 2021, 02:13 PM »
My Dad, always said that days spent fishing dont count against your time on earth..

Wow, I like that.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Mar 12, 2021, 03:45 PM »
I bet they count if you die while fishing. Drowning, eaten by shark, bear attack, getting caught in an auger, hypothermia, angry fellow fishermen attack, angry wife attack, you never know. Lightning, hailstones like a bowling ball, somebody drops a shoe out of an airplane. Could be anything.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Mar 12, 2021, 04:47 PM »
If you are going to live in Wisconsin, you must at least be OK with winter, and since you open water fish, you already know some good spots. As far as the gear, figuring out what to get and how to use it, increasing your effectiveness as you go is part of the fun- once you can go out and catch fish at will, the thrill will be gone! People in the midwest ice fished in their deer hunting orange for decades before dedicated clothing, and there were plenty of fish caught on home made gear. Don't let the budget be a barrier- get a simple kit and give it a go. Now is the time when people are getting rid of gear- by next season you can find an older guy getting out of the sport that kept his gear in top shape- probably figured out what to buy from decades of practice too. I would set up for walking first- you are still too young to sit in a shanty all day- that will just make you old quick!

:tipup:

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Mar 12, 2021, 06:17 PM »
I bet they count if you die while fishing. Drowning, eaten by shark, bear attack, getting caught in an auger, hypothermia, angry fellow fishermen attack, angry wife attack, you never know. Lightning, hailstones like a bowling ball, somebody drops a shoe out of an airplane. Could be anything.
Ah..but they are not counted against  you.. they go down as time served!
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Mar 12, 2021, 06:54 PM »
I didn't ice fish until I was 48 years old. 13 years later I'm on the ice about 40 days every winter. My initial setup would cost less than $300 today. You can get into this sport without spending a lot of money.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #35 on: Mar 12, 2021, 08:53 PM »
You can ice fish successfully for almost nothing.
A hand line, warm clothes, a spud, a license which u already have. I seem to have more success when I hit the ice as a minimalist rather than taking all the toys.

Yup, what he said except a few more things: A spud is perfectly fine for cutting holes in 6 or fewer inches of ice, beyond that you need a basic 6 inch hand auger. I am a tipup fisherman so would not go on the ice without them so ad those to the jigging rod as basic gear, but the point about being a minimalist I could not agree with more. So many guys just keep buying more and more gear every season, and I laugh at them because I outfish them by a lot with my basic gear that I have had for over 30 years ( I am 56 and have been on the ice every year since I was 22 ). Having a ton of expensive gear might make you feel better, but KNOWLEDGE of the lake and what the fish like for bait is what will get you success with ice fishing. Knowledge is earned from fishing a place repeatedly, and it is not given away and can't be bought.

You are not close to being too old to start this sport. GO FOR IT, it will change your life like you can't even imagine.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline P-Wo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Mar 12, 2021, 09:09 PM »
I am not sure what the current ice conditions are in your area but if the ice is safe, and others are out fishing, put on a life jacket and go out and talk to them. Most will be more than happy to tell you anything you’ll listen to. A friend of mine came out 4 or 5 times before he started buying his equipment.

I started when I was 45, and went anywhere on the ice I wanted to, pulling my sled as I went. Now I’m 59 and go only as far as I want to, still pulling my sled. Some days I go with a group of 6 or 8 other days I go by myself. Either way I enjoy myself.

Offline BRsnow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Mar 12, 2021, 11:47 PM »
If you can catch fish open water, you will enjoy ice. The electronics make it seem like a video game. You need an auger and basic sonar. Cheap entry to Ice fishing.

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Mar 13, 2021, 02:06 PM »
No.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Mar 14, 2021, 12:42 PM »
No.

I say yes but he won't be adding to the fishing pressure where I fish.

Offline thinblueline

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Mar 17, 2021, 09:36 PM »
Well, you guys have convinced me to start ice fishing next season and now I’ve made my first purchase. I ordered a Striker Ice Hardwater Jacket and Bibs for 30 percent off, which I thought was a pretty good deal. Hopefully it fits. Next up, rods and reels. Next fall I’ll grab a fish finder, auger and pop up shanty to round out my big ticket items. Hopefully this will make the long winters go by just a bit quicker.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #41 on: Mar 17, 2021, 10:43 PM »
Get some traction, ice cleats too, makes a huge difference to start.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Mar 17, 2021, 11:14 PM »
I started out with two jigging rods, a Mora hand auger, a five gallon bucket, a few Swedish Pimples and Kastmasters, a small Plano tackle bag, and a $7.00 kiddie sled from Wal-Mart.  It's been 20 years, but I remember it like it was yesterday.  Once I realized I was going to be in this for the long haul, I bought a cheap $100 Eagle Fish Easy fishfinder.  The next winter, I bought an Eskimo Quick Flip, then a gas auger.  Every year, I added more and more gear.  I honestly think you can get into this sport for under $200, cheaper than a weekend ski trip.  I say go for it. Just don't buy a lot of gear until you are sure that you want to be an ice fisherman.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Mar 17, 2021, 11:16 PM »
I forgot to add spud bar, cleats and ice picks... Super important!

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Mar 18, 2021, 07:10 AM »
Beer

Offline thinblueline

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Mar 18, 2021, 07:20 AM »
Of for sure I’ll have the cleats, spud bar and ice picks. Looking at videos, even with a floatation suit, getting back on that ice looks like it would be a chore without ice picks.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Mar 18, 2021, 08:45 AM »
I am a year-round fisher and I do it my way, You just need to figure out your way. My way at 63 is hand pulling my sled with my gear in it or my 1 man shelter with a little less at times. Gear if you want to fish can cost as little or as much as you want to spend. You have bucket sitters, shelter tent & hub fishers, you have hard and soft side fisher, fishers with ice castles. It is their way to fish. A good example is my brother who fishes in the summer he has his 45 thousand dollar boat and will not fish it 1/4 of the time as I do with my 14 foot tinny because he needs help at the docks and launch (i do not), he will not launch into pocket water or roadside launches (i do), he will not fish the shallows(I do), he will not fish uncharted water lakes or water areas on those waters (I do). It is not go big or go home, It is what you want. Someday I might want an Ice Castle but now I do not, I do believe that I would make good use of a SnoDog or similar style sled, so I have been investigating the idea for 2 seasons since I will likely purchase one for my retirement present. Did not purchase one this year since I think you will find pandemic deals when this C-19 slows down. Good Luck find an icefisher go out a few x's, they will take you out to show and help. Hire a guide if you wish to go out and have all the essential items covered in the trip cost.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #47 on: Mar 18, 2021, 09:32 AM »
absolutely get into ice fishing!! You can always meet some young guns to help drag your gear too. i'll always help drag some of the OGs gear that i fish with. Its my favorite way to fish. I cant wait for the cold weather every year and plan on doing this for as long as my body physically allows me too. Granted im only 30, so i plan to have another half century + on the hard water  ;D ;D As for gear, start light and low budget and just slowly improve and upgrade as the years pass. A stryker 4 would be my suggestion for a finder. it will get the job done and only runs $100-120. id suggest spending money on the reel over the rod. There are alot of good quality rods that can be found for <$30. If youre targeting lake trout in deeper water, definitely run braid, otherwise flouro should be more than enough for pannies or walleye. IS forums are a wealth of knowledge and if your ask for help, you shouldnt have to wait long before somebody will at least PM you with some answers. a spud is a must and one of the most crucial pieces of equipment youll own. Learn how to use it and keep yourself dry. my spud bar has definitely saved my life before by finding hidden weak spots in the ice. Good luck and tight lines!

Offline thinblueline

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Mar 18, 2021, 09:41 AM »
Thanks again for the additional comments

Offline thinblueline

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Mar 23, 2021, 07:49 AM »
As I said, I’ve been fishing all my life and I love to catch fish, it’s just that I knew my tendencies to go all in on outdoor pursuits I love, so I avoided ice fishing. Now with kids gone, and debts paid, my wife gave me the green light to jump into ice fishing as I have steadily grown to fish more and hunt less nearing retirement.

After buying my ice suit on clearance, I just tackled rods and reels. I didn’t want to spend money on a bucket full of rods and reels, knowing a lot of guys eventually reach past their pile for a select few they live by, so I decided to buy five quality outfits to serve all my purposes. I’ve scoured old threads on here and other sites for a consensus on rod makes and models, and I’ve read all the debates on what is custom and what is not, and what is cheap and what is too expensive for ice fishing. While there appears to be many happy customers for many different kinds of rods, the two that stood out the most to me and appears to have been written about more than any others is Thorne Brothers and TUCR.

My ice fishing time will be spent almost entirely going after bluegills, crappies and perch on inland lakes along with whitefish and the occasional walleye on Green Bay.

From the hundreds of opinions I’ve read over several years of threads, I special ordered two rods from Thorne Brothers, a Quiverstick and Powernoodle, and three rods from TUCR, a Precision Noodle, a Bullwhip, and a Precision. All rods will have REC guides and straight cork handles. To go along with those rods, I picked up five Okuma Ceymar C-10 spinning reels with the upgraded carbontex drag washers from TUCR.

Thanks for all the reviews and opinions you have given over the years that have led to my purchases. I look forward to using them next year.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #50 on: Mar 23, 2021, 10:07 AM »
Screw ice fishing. Its cold and miserable especially when you not catching. I couldn't care less if I never ice fished again! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Mar 23, 2021, 10:56 AM »
As I said, I’ve been fishing all my life and I love to catch fish, it’s just that I knew my tendencies to go all in on outdoor pursuits I love, so I avoided ice fishing. Now with kids gone, and debts paid, my wife gave me the green light to jump into ice fishing as I have steadily grown to fish more and hunt less nearing retirement.

After buying my ice suit on clearance, I just tackled rods and reels. I didn’t want to spend money on a bucket full of rods and reels, knowing a lot of guys eventually reach past their pile for a select few they live by, so I decided to buy five quality outfits to serve all my purposes. I’ve scoured old threads on here and other sites for a consensus on rod makes and models, and I’ve read all the debates on what is custom and what is not, and what is cheap and what is too expensive for ice fishing. While there appears to be many happy customers for many different kinds of rods, the two that stood out the most to me and appears to have been written about more than any others is Thorne Brothers and TUCR.

My ice fishing time will be spent almost entirely going after bluegills, crappies and perch on inland lakes along with whitefish and the occasional walleye on Green Bay.

From the hundreds of opinions I’ve read over several years of threads, I special ordered two rods from Thorne Brothers, a Quiverstick and Powernoodle, and three rods from TUCR, a Precision Noodle, a Bullwhip, and a Precision. All rods will have REC guides and straight cork handles. To go along with those rods, I picked up five Okuma Ceymar C-10 spinning reels with the upgraded carbontex drag washers from TUCR.

Thanks for all the reviews and opinions you have given over the years that have led to my purchases. I look forward to using them next year.

Sounds like you're getting pretty well set - congrats on getting into the ice fishing sport!  I've been at this endeavor in one form or another for over 50 years and I still don't have everything I "need" by my standards - something seems to get added to the arsenal each year.  Thought I had a handle on it and then the recent idea of trying darkhouse spearing again happened one day - did it a few times long ago as a teenager - and before I knew it another ice fishing B.O.A.T. (Bust Out Another Thousand) found it's way in.  Good luck to staying disciplined and have fun out there!

Offline A man called horse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Apr 04, 2021, 02:08 PM »
Yup, what he said except a few more things: A spud is perfectly fine for cutting holes in 6 or fewer inches of ice, beyond that you need a basic 6 inch hand auger. I am a tipup fisherman so would not go on the ice without them so ad those to the jigging rod as basic gear, but the point about being a minimalist I could not agree with more. So many guys just keep buying more and more gear every season, and I laugh at them because I outfish them by a lot with my basic gear that I have had for over 30 years ( I am 56 and have been on the ice every year since I was 22 ). Having a ton of expensive gear might make you feel better, but KNOWLEDGE of the lake and what the fish like for bait is what will get you success with ice fishing. Knowledge is earned from fishing a place repeatedly, and it is not given away and can't be bought.

You are not close to being too old to start this sport. GO FOR IT, it will change your life like you can't even imagine.

The more toys & paraphernalia you have, the less attentive you are to what’s happening to your bait/ lure.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Apr 06, 2021, 06:42 AM »
I retired from the Thinblueline many years ago. I started fishing on ice back in the early 1960s and have been at it ever since. Anything that gets me off my ass in the dead of winter is a pleasure for me but at your age I will make one suggestion. Where gear is concerned some do it right because they do it twice. Buying cheap or not buying the necessities will be a costly mistake. I don't go ice fishing to freeze my rear off and suffer in pain. Every item I buy makes my ice fishing days more productive and more comfortable. With that said, the more you buy the harder it is to get it out to where you want to fish. You can set yourself up for light duty, short distance and fair weather ice or go for the gusto and also set up for brutal conditions and long excursions. I have both set ups and highly prefer the long distance and somewhat brutal conditions when I go with pals. Light duty and fair weather when I go alone. I prefer to target either trout or walleye and am not at all thrilled with panfish or slime dart freshwater barracudas, pickerel or pike. Plan your ice days based on the conditions and the body of water you will fish. Lots here go with a bucket, rod and some jigs and a flasher and they catch plenty of fish. Others go with hundreds of pounds of gear towed behind a machine and set up camp on the ice for the entire day or longer. Pop up or flip over sled mounted shanties are all the rage for the long and cold days but the more you bring the more you need a pack mule to do the dragging. Having a few buddies to join you on the ice is the very best part of this sport IMO. Lots of laughter and great memories ensue on days when you can all fish together and eat, drink and be merry while catching fish and screwing up with you buddies right there to poke fun at each other. Safety is the #1 rule that I go by. Safe ice, safe practices while out there and avoiding the dumb stuff that can get you hurt or seriously injured. Spud, Cleats, Ice Spikes and keep your sharp auger blades covered when not drilling and hooks not just dangling where they catch fisherman instead of fish. Be a Boy Scout and go prepared for the unexpected works for us. Unlike fishing from a smallish boat in cramped conditions a crew of buddies can all gather around on the ice and have a blast doing what they love to do.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Apr 06, 2021, 06:51 PM »
The more toys & paraphernalia you have, the less attentive you are to what’s happening to your bait/ lure.
That is exactly why the Aquavu did not make it out this year, only used it 2 times in 2 seasons both last year. Likely sell it off this year and upgrade my Vex or Graph.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.