Author Topic: ATV or UTV for Ice Fishing  (Read 4014 times)

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
ATV or UTV for Ice Fishing
« on: Mar 07, 2021, 10:57 PM »
I am curious what everyone’s preference is when it comes to getting around on the ice. This was my third year with my ATV, an older Honda Foreman. Even when i am somewhere where the ice is thick enough for a pickup i still prefer my ATV for the mobility and relative ease of moving around. This coming year a UTV is siding more and more appealing, a cab with a windshield and maybe even some doors. Definitely a lot bigger investment. What do you guys prefer?

Offline sylvain guy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ATV or UTV for Ice Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2021, 04:13 AM »
Used to be an atv, Polaris sportsman 570. As of march 2020 Wisconsin changed the additional riders law. Next year it will be a utv.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2021, 06:16 AM »
I use a UTV : Polaris Ranger 1000..full windshield, soft doors..I tow my tent with gear inside and can also carry some extra gear in the back....for a quick run an gun on a windy day...the cab comes in very handy

I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline AcezHi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2021, 07:03 AM »
Went to the Argo this year.
Best mobile shack ever.
K-Drill, Bait cooler and pack all inside and warm.
No more frozen bait bucket for me.
No more worries about soft pressure ridges either - It Floats...

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2021, 08:57 AM »
Yamaha Viking 700 with hard cab and heater. It has been great so far.

It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2021, 09:24 AM »
I use a UTV : Polaris Ranger 1000..full windshield, soft doors..I tow my tent with gear inside and can also carry some extra gear in the back....for a quick run an gun on a windy day...the cab comes in very handy

What brand of doors are they? The Polaris ones or another company? I’m researching rangers pretty hard and want to the cab as economically as possible. Looking at a glass windshield and rear window with eh Polaris top but Polaris doors are a little spendy.....

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2021, 12:00 PM »
Used to be an atv, Polaris sportsman 570. As of march 2020 Wisconsin changed the additional riders law. Next year it will be a utv.

Ya same here, have been using an ATV for the past 5 or 6 years, now with this law that began in 2020, I will be looking to go with a UTV in the next year  or 2 as well I think

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2021, 02:01 PM »
We've run Polaris Sportsmen for years and finally saw a deal on a 2011 Ranger that we couldn't pass up. It's 400 lbs heavier than the Sportsmen but it sure is nice to have that cab and heater. It forces my brother and I to stick closer together, but we pretty much do anyway. We like it. We're gonna get tracks for it next season and then we should be good to go!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2021, 05:19 PM »
HMMMM, I just bought a new machine for ice fishing. I'm getting old so...................
I decided to get myself a little something to cheer me up. This thing is going to be a beast for ice fishing among other things. No more freezing while rolling out to my fishing spot as the new rig has Heat/AC/Climate Control and heated seats.   ;D
Big box in the back to haul all the gear too.   ;)2

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2021, 05:25 PM »
Nice rig!!
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2021, 06:53 PM »
My $.02 on this!! An ATV or SXS that can be used year round!! Nuff said!!  :thumbsup: ;)2 :flex:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline DaleL57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2021, 07:57 PM »
Bought a ATV last year.
One seater, but wife occasionally comes with.
Would drive by a DNR officer and they have never stopped me.
Just sayin.

Offline Panfisher78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2021, 07:29 AM »
I’d say it depends on where you live and the ice you normally get.  I bought a Polaris Ranger two years ago for ice fishing.  I was able to get out on my lake this year for the first time for about two weeks.  I’m in Michigan and our winters are really mild these days.  I’d get more use out of an ATV when it comes to ice fishing for sure.  I’m in western Michigan

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2021, 07:03 PM »
I have both and almost always use the ATV for ice fishing. The ATV fits in my pickup and the SxS doesn't. Not towing a trailer is better than towing one in winter.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2021, 11:30 AM »
Bought a ATV last year.
One seater, but wife occasionally comes with.
Would drive by a DNR officer and they have never stopped me.
Just sayin.

I get it and I may have had an extra person on my machine real early or real late in the day while on the ice this winter too. That said I wouldnt go on a busy lake and draw attention to myself with a passenger on the ATV either

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2021, 12:20 PM »
I have a ATV (wheels not a track setup) and a snowmobile. The last time I went out I took the snowmobile. We developed a snow crust then a thin layer of ice then a 6 inch layer of water then ice again. The snowmobile skims over the top of it the atv wheels break through and thought I was going to get stuck for sure last time I took it out. Plus the atv sprayed water and slush all over my gear in the pull behind sled. The snowmobile was definitely the late ice way to go. After this little warm spell I think we might be back down to 15 inches of bare ice again without the slush crust layer. I might be back to the atv now.

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 19, 2021, 02:53 PM »
I had been an ATV guy for years but yesterday I put a down payment on this...

Offline 2labradors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 19, 2021, 08:27 PM »

I have had an atv, with and without tracks 7 years ago I traded the atv with tracks for a wilcraft and will never go back you fall through the ice you just back up on to the ice again, open water you float across and up onto the ice you go. Want to move spots just raise and go.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 20, 2021, 06:21 AM »

I have had an atv, with and without tracks 7 years ago I traded the atv with tracks for a wilcraft and will never go back you fall through the ice you just back up on to the ice again, open water you float across and up onto the ice you go. Want to move spots just raise and go.

Same here, I have 8 seasons with Calamity Bob. I have an atv for days when we have a bunch of guys with jet sleds or shanties to pull. But first or late ice, and two guy evening trips I don't see myself giving up the wilcraft. Nothing beats the feeling of safety knowing if you break through you're ok.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 20, 2021, 06:46 AM »
I have both.  I have a Ranger that I use close to my house, throw my Clam Nanook on the front hitch hauler and drive to local lake.  I also have a Sportsman 500 ATV that is 2 Up seating.  I had a smaller Sportsman but Iowa started ticketing passengers on ATV's and a buddy had a 2Up model he wanted to get rid of. 

The ATV would go in a toy hauler fish house trailer and be used to pull the fish house onto the ice once I got there. I just sold the fish house. I use the Ranger in off ice season much more than the ATV, but the ATV is my snow plow at home.  Even the smallest ATV with 4x4 is a bulldog with chains on all 4 tires. It is also more versatile on ice and even in the odd years when I draw an elk tag out west.  ATV is way more maneuverable on forest service roads dodging rocks and logs then the Ranger.  The Ranger is used extensively in the Summer/Fall at a ranch for hunting and lawn/ranch work.  I leave it there for 3 months. 

Need to get rid of one of them but can't decide. Both have their uses but the Ranger could become the snow plow and Momma likes the side x side Ranger for occasional rides.

You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2021, 09:07 AM »
It's gonna be a UTV for ice fishing now...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.