Author Topic: Mono Ice Line. Any suggestions?  (Read 1260 times)

Offline .45-75WCF

• Team IceShanty Regular
Mono Ice Line. Any suggestions?
« on: Nov 15, 2013, 12:30 PM »
Last February, we entered a Mac fishing tournament here in Montana.  We were using a braided line with a 3' leader of Berkley 12lb. mono.  On two different occasions, my friend and I hooked a couple of very large fish and both times, on setting the hook, our mono leader broke in the middle of the 3' section.  Our thought was that the mono we were using was not sufficient for cold water use.  We are now looking for suggestions on a 12 to 15lb mono that we can use for cold water ice fishing conditions.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  Yes we did tie our braided directly to the tube jigs, but the bit was much slower, so we feel the short mono leader worked best. 

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Mono Ice Line. Any siggestions?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2013, 01:42 PM »
i had the same problem last year with my tipups and did the excite direct tie to my lures but the bit was on and i didnt bother with a leader after that. don't know if I will do a leader for a while. i do see alot of different mono's for ice that go up to 20# i think. Bionic is one i think.
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2013, 01:57 PM »
   Maybe just sharper hooks and no so hard of a hook set.

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2013, 02:00 PM »
I ran into this problem once.now I use 6 ft plus leaders.abspbrbs the shock much better

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2013, 02:06 PM »
I use Seaguar fluorocarbon (Leader Material, there is a big difference) and don't have any problem... You can also go heavier with the floro if you wanted, the fish just don't notice it as much as mono...

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2013, 02:27 PM »
I use Seaguar fluorocarbon (Leader Material, there is a big difference) and don't have any problem... You can also go heavier with the floro if you wanted, the fish just don't notice it as much as mono...

X2.  Seaguar blue label fluoro works great.  It sinks better than mono, too.  Just watch for any signs of fraying, and switch it out as needed.  I use Palomar knots to attach terminal tackle to leader and uni-to-uni to attach leader to braid.  Or use a swivel to attach to braid, and you can tie a bunch of leaders with swivels ahead of time. Never had a break-off.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Mono Ice Line. Any suggestions?
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2013, 03:01 PM »
I agree with the Seaguar statements.  Also, just to clarify, you were actually using leader material, correct?

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2013, 03:52 PM »
Last February, we entered a Mac fishing tournament here in Montana.  We were using a braided line with a 3' leader of Berkley 12lb. mono.  On two different occasions, my friend and I hooked a couple of very large fish and both times, on setting the hook, our mono leader broke in the middle of the 3' section.  Our thought was that the mono we were using was not sufficient for cold water use.  We are now looking for suggestions on a 12 to 15lb mono that we can use for cold water ice fishing conditions.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  Yes we did tie our braided directly to the tube jigs, but the bit was much slower, so we feel the short mono leader worked best.

Just a thought but did you happen to be using a spinning reel and didnt adjust your drag properly?

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2013, 08:41 PM »

This.  Not necessarily Seaguar all the time, but always the leader specific fluoro.

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2013, 09:01 PM »
Another vote for flouro. You can tie direct via uni to uni, or a small barrel swivel. I prefer the spro power swivels.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2013, 09:19 PM »
Berkley XT Mono or Yozuri copolymers are tough and DO NOT break.   A longer leader will stretch more too.

Offline Trouty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2013, 09:37 PM »
Another vote for Seaguar leader material.  You won't have this issue of leaders breaking again.

Offline burck17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2013, 07:27 AM »
Fireline direct for the win in my opinion...unless I'm trout fishing I always go with fireline tuff line or something similar

Offline .45-75WCF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2013, 10:06 AM »
I can't tell you guys how helpful your comments have been.  I joined Ice Shanty in 2007 and any time I have a question, I always get great feedback, so thanks again.   I'd like to answer some of your questions, so we're all on the same page.  Yes, I use short leader attached to my braided because we're fishing really deep and the braided won't stretch.  The mono we're using is NOT packaged as leader material, but regular 12lb. fishing line.  Yes, now that I think about it, my drag was set pretty tight although we did catch many other fish that day without any problems.  I will try to find some of the Seaguar.  Apparently no retailers here in Montana.  The stage coach only comes out here once a month.   Four of us went up to Flathead Lake with a boat and jigged for Mac's last Thursday.  Three of us decided to tie off directly to the braided and the fourth guy tied his jig to mono.  Guess who caught ALL the fish.  The mono guy.  Thanks again.  Fish On.

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2013, 10:23 AM »
You can get the leader material in "leader spools" which only have  about 30yrds on them since you don't really need 150 yards.  I would get a few different lb spools.  You can order some online and have it shipped to your door.  IME, good fluoro leader material will out fish mono leader both in terms of performance (abrasion, memory, etc.) and numbers caught especially where you have good visibility in the water column.  Fluoro has so many great properties that make it much better than mono as leader material such as it doesn't absorb water and sinks better than mono.  Not absorbing water means it retains it strength unlike mono which gets weaker as it absorbs water and more so when that absorbed water freezes.  I use braid exclusively as my main line and always tie it to a fluoro leader either uni to uni or with a good quality swivel.  I change up my fluoro leader lengths to match the conditions (species, depth, lure, method, etc.).

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2013, 10:40 AM »
What kind of reel are you using? For leader material I would definitely use flouro over mono in any situation unless im bass fishing a frog in the summer. 12lb mono is more than sufficient, just shorten it up and keep that drag in check everytime you hit the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.