Author Topic: "Ice Vulture"  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Ice Beard

• Team IceShanty Addict
"Ice Vulture"
« on: Nov 13, 2013, 08:20 AM »
So...everyday I scour Ice Shanty and other regional websites in addition to long range forecasts in the hopes of finding the first sign of fish-able ice that is within 400 miles of my home.  Last night my six year old asked me what I was looking at on the computer...my retort, oh...I am just looking for ice.  He then giggles and says to me, you should get up on top of the house...you could see further that way. 

After a hard laugh...that got me thinking...during this time of year I become an "Ice Vulture"!  I spend all my free time in search of even the slightest scrap or tidbit of ice that I can stand on.

Too funny huh?

Cheers,
Ice Beard

Offline HuskersLincoln

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: "Ice Vulture"
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2013, 09:39 AM »
Kids say the darndest things.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2013, 11:50 AM »
Art Linkletter would've loved her!

Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2013, 06:29 PM »
You must "some" ice down in cuba, the farm ponds here had skim coat yesterday...cold air next week.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline Ice Beard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2013, 08:17 PM »
Oh...to be certain there has been some skim ice the last few days...but sadly it is all gone now.  I am trying to distract myself by chasing steelhead in the streams...but all I can think about is Oneida lake and all the walleye that are waiting for me.

I guess I am just having a hard time being patient...like everyone else.

Cheers,
Ice Beard

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2013, 11:35 PM »
Oh...to be certain there has been some skim ice the last few days...but sadly it is all gone now.  I am trying to distract myself by chasing steelhead in the streams...but all I can think about is Oneida lake and all the walleye that are waiting for me.

I guess I am just having a hard time being patient...like everyone else.

Cheers,
Ice Beard
I wish I was able to do either of those...

Offline saltyfly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2013, 02:20 PM »
I hear you.. daily regiment is weatherunderground to check (pray) for cold temps.. get excited when I see anything under 32.. then get dissapointed when I see 55 the next day.. jump on here and read just about anything so I feel like i'm not alone in my insanity.. repeat several times a day.. what's the definition of insanity again?  when you do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result.. I think MANY of us are certifiable! :-)

Offline Ice Beard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2013, 05:15 PM »
I hear ya man...

Well, I will say this...as I drove from Oak Orchard back to Cuba today I did numerous little farm ponds that still had skim ice on them even after a day in the upper forties.  It made me smile every time I saw even the slightest sliver of ice!

Patients I guess...patients.

Cheers,
Ice Beard

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2013, 06:47 PM »
Hey Ice Beard, I got ice here. But ya can't stand on it, it's in my martini glass.............. :P

Kids are great. Some years ago my 5 year old son commented on how it seemed like all I did was work. Work, work, work............ Why do I always have to go to work. I explained I had to go to work to get money. If I didn't go to work we wouldn't have any money; so no place to live, no food to eat, no TV, no Nintendo...........

He thought for a moment and replied," But Dad, couldn't they just send it to you?"  ;D

I'm still trying to figure out how to get that done........... ;)

We did have some ice starting on the ponds this past week but we got 50s and rain in the forecast.  :(  On the up side, I don't winterize my boat until I can walk to where I want to fish.

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.