Author Topic: Panoptix worth the $$$$?  (Read 28804 times)

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Panoptix worth the $$$$?
« Reply #120 on: Feb 26, 2019, 10:23 AM »
Thanks for that, esox.  I've got a lead on a garmin ice bundle, 93cv with panoptix.  Come with one 10amp lithium battery.  I can buy this for $1700.  Seems like a decent deal??

That seems rather steep given it is a non plus unit, you will not be able to upgrade that to Livescope in the future. Realistic number for something like that should be around $1300.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #121 on: Feb 26, 2019, 10:58 AM »
That seems rather steep given it is a non plus unit, you will not be able to upgrade that to Livescope in the future. Realistic number for something like that should be around $1300.

It is a "plus" unit, I missed that earlier.  Thanks for the replies fellas, at least I know I'm in the ballpark now. 

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #122 on: Feb 26, 2019, 11:51 AM »
It is a "plus" unit, I missed that earlier.  Thanks for the replies fellas, at least I know I'm in the ballpark now.

no problem, at $1700 for a used panoptix, you are approaching the territory of new livescope setup....imo

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #123 on: Feb 26, 2019, 01:37 PM »
OK, I've done some looking on this package.  This is the best price I came up with..

Reeds has the garmin panoptix ice fishing kit on sale for $1099, but you get a $99 visa card with purchase which = $999

Cabelas has the 93SV on sale for $599, call in only, thanks to mboss and another fellow on the best deals thread. 

https://www.reedssports.com/garmin/garmin-panoptix-portable-ice-fishing-319927

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #124 on: Feb 26, 2019, 02:08 PM »
no problem, at $1700 for a used panoptix, you are approaching the territory of new livescope setup....imo

Agree with this.  Mine was 1699.00 new.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #125 on: Feb 26, 2019, 02:47 PM »
OK, I've done some looking on this package.  This is the best price I came up with..

Reeds has the garmin panoptix ice fishing kit on sale for $1099, but you get a $99 visa card with purchase which = $999

Cabelas has the 93SV on sale for $599, call in only, thanks to mboss and another fellow on the best deals thread. 

https://www.reedssports.com/garmin/garmin-panoptix-portable-ice-fishing-319927

That is pretty nice deal, and you'll be able to upgrade to livescope when it's price drops a little and offload the 22 ducer.

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #126 on: Feb 26, 2019, 04:47 PM »

Not really but ok. $1700 seems to be the going rate for a used set up. Livescope will run you $2500-3k for the version with the Garmin Ice bag.
"Did you  clip your barbs,  you remember to clip your barbs."

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #127 on: Feb 26, 2019, 07:16 PM »
Not really but ok. $1700 seems to be the going rate for a used set up. Livescope will run you $2500-3k for the version with the Garmin Ice bag.

Yes, but if you make your own pole, bag, get your own batteries you can make it happen for less

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #128 on: Feb 26, 2019, 08:33 PM »
Yes, but if you make your own pole, bag, get your own batteries you can make it happen for less
Lol not by much. 93sv-600, live scope-1500, dual lithium batteries-180-200. Plus a bag and pole puts you around 2400-2500.

Offline GenesCamp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #129 on: Feb 26, 2019, 10:21 PM »
Got the first piece of the puzzle today and pulled the trigger on the 93sv plus. 

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #130 on: Feb 27, 2019, 05:24 AM »
Lol not by much. 93sv-600, live scope-1500, dual lithium batteries-180-200. Plus a bag and pole puts you around 2400-2500.

93sv -$575
Livescope - $1300
Dual batteries - $160
Clam bag $40
Pole under $20

That's about where I am at for my livescope setup. Of course it didn't happen all at once but about a month of watching pricing from many retailers.

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #131 on: Feb 27, 2019, 05:22 PM »
93sv -$575
Livescope - $1300
Dual batteries - $160
Clam bag $40
Pole under $20

That's about where I am at for my livescope setup. Of course it didn't happen all at once but about a month of watching pricing from many retailers.
Wow im on the FB page for panoptix and thats the best ive seen on the livescoop.  Still over 2100 for everything on great deals. 1700 for a used optix is still a good price. I wont buy the livescope until Garmin will warranty it through the ice and I dont have to Jerry Rig it.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #132 on: Feb 27, 2019, 05:51 PM »
Wow im on the FB page for panoptix and thats the best ive seen on the livescoop.  Still over 2100 for everything on great deals. 1700 for a used optix is still a good price. I wont buy the livescope until Garmin will warranty it through the ice and I dont have to Jerry Rig it.

Garmin will warranty Livescope through the ice. The post about them not doing so was based off of incorrect information.

The panoptix ps22 ducer and the Livescope ducer have exactly the same operating and storage specs.

PS22

Livescope

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #133 on: Feb 27, 2019, 06:11 PM »
Garmin will warranty Livescope through the ice. The post about them not doing so was based off of incorrect information.

The panoptix ps22 ducer and the Livescope ducer have exactly the same operating and storage specs.

PS22

Livescope

Which post, the one I read was from someone who worked for Garmin?

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #134 on: Feb 27, 2019, 06:21 PM »
Which post, the one I read was from someone who worked for Garmin?

That post said Livescope shouldn't be used in water colder than 32°... Which is true, you shouldn't let any transducer freeze in. Like the specifications show, Livescope is perfectly fine to use on the ice.

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #135 on: Feb 27, 2019, 06:42 PM »
That post said Livescope shouldn't be used in water colder than 32°... Which is true, you shouldn't let any transducer freeze in. Like the specifications show, Livescope is perfectly fine to use on the ice.

LOL which post, it wasnt on this site?

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #136 on: Feb 28, 2019, 06:35 AM »

It was posted on there for that price around Thanksgiving....the price was available for at least a couple weeks. 1700 is hardly a great price for used as my local store sells the optix bundle for about that new. (Last I saw was $1800 and they run 10% off coupons every now and then) Of course those who prefer paying msrp or buy spur of the moment might view this different.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #137 on: Feb 28, 2019, 08:05 AM »
LOL which post, it wasnt on this site?

It was on a Garmin ice fishing Facebook group. :)

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #138 on: Feb 28, 2019, 04:46 PM »
Instead of continuing the pissing match I think it would be nice to get this thread back on track. I was, am planning on doing a review at the end of the season about the Poptix. I feel for the price and tech I would like a full season with it to truly understand how it works and if its  worth the price. Ill be heading to DL in just over a week and hoping to get on some perch and eyes with it. After that it will be back to cohos/lakers and finishing the season with some crappies. In the mean time if anyone has any questions on it please let me know.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #139 on: Mar 01, 2019, 06:19 AM »
Instead of continuing the pissing match I think it would be nice to get this thread back on track. I was, am planning on doing a review at the end of the season about the Poptix. I feel for the price and tech I would like a full season with it to truly understand how it works and if its  worth the price. Ill be heading to DL in just over a week and hoping to get on some perch and eyes with it. After that it will be back to cohos/lakers and finishing the season with some crappies. In the mean time if anyone has any questions on it please let me know.
How successful have you been at finding bottom hugging perch? When I’m panning around, I’ve been stopping and watching for areas of the bottom that wiggle or pulse differently than the rest of the bottom around it. I’ve been able to get on top of them a few times that way, but they sure don’t stand out like crappies or roaming trout. I feel I still need to figure out how to be efficient with it. Sometimes I think I’m playing with the foward view too much, thinking about where to drill based on it. The structures and “interesting” spots on the screen usually produce fish, but I  Sometimes I think I should just drill like I use to and just enjoy fishing with down view.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #140 on: Mar 01, 2019, 08:06 AM »
Lakes around me aren't more than 20' deep so I stay in forward view the entire time.....I've noticed that any perch that are worth catching are usually marked really well and you can distinguish them slithering on the bottom pretty easy. Same goes for valley. The perch schools that roam through are rarely stationery for me, it almost seems better finding a corridor through which they travel and try to wait them out rather than chase them on the ice. I am looking forward to boat season as i might be much quicker getting to them if they are 50' out in a given direction.

Offline Ville1303

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #141 on: Mar 01, 2019, 10:18 AM »
Hello all, greetings from Finland.

I must say prices here compared to North America are crazy. In Europe, garmin does not sell newer ice fishing bundle (with 73 cv plus), only older model which is not upgradeable to livescope. And this bundle cost 2499€ -> 2900$. Anyway I bought mine from USA and got new version.

Althought this basic panoptix is awesome, I have started to plan upgrade but livescope transducer and "black box" cost here 1999€ and I do not know if it is worth of that amount of money.

I think I have learned more about ice fishing with panoptix than before in my entire life. It does not only give more fish on ice but I can see how fish act in different time of year and with different lures etc.  For example I can see how pike-perches attack from bottom of lake to small fish group and It is easier to decide what lure to use.

It is also interesting to observe nature from different angle.

I am first time poster and english is my third language so apologies of my grammar.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #142 on: Mar 01, 2019, 10:54 AM »
Hello all, greetings from Finland.

I must say prices here compared to North America are crazy. In Europe, garmin does not sell newer ice fishing bundle (with 73 cv plus), only older model which is not upgradeable to livescope. And this bundle cost 2499€ -> 2900$. Anyway I bought mine from USA and got new version.

Althought this basic panoptix is awesome, I have started to plan upgrade but livescope transducer and "black box" cost here 1999€ and I do not know if it is worth of that amount of money.

I think I have learned more about ice fishing with panoptix than before in my entire life. It does not only give more fish on ice but I can see how fish act in different time of year and with different lures etc.  For example I can see how pike-perches attack from bottom of lake to small fish group and It is easier to decide what lure to use.

It is also interesting to observe nature from different angle.

I am first time poster and english is my third language so apologies of my grammar.

It is worth it. There is nothing like what livescope offers. Of course it comes at a cost. Don't forget it retails for $1499 in US. I assume the benefits of public transportation and universal healthcare along with EU Vat and import dues make that the 1900E for you.

Offline Ville1303

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #143 on: Mar 01, 2019, 11:29 AM »
Yes that is true we have here  (and also in other nordic countries) 24 percent value added tax and it makes panoptix and also services more expensive, but some other things are free.

Should I upgrade or not? If someone who has livescope can tell if he/she can recognize different species with livescope, I would appreciate that. I mean if depht is.. lets say 15 meters and you really can differentiate perches, pike perches and trout from screen. Is it so good? Traditional panoptix show only "blobs" (is that right word lol).

Offline Ville1303

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #144 on: Mar 01, 2019, 11:30 AM »
Pike perch means walleye. My english lol

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #145 on: Mar 01, 2019, 12:25 PM »
There are many videos on YouTube that show how clearly the fish is displayed. Uncut angleing has a video fishing from the boat in fall, the muskies/pike could clearly be identified from other fish, to the point you can see the fins flicking and turning.

Offline Ville1303

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #146 on: Mar 01, 2019, 01:00 PM »
I have seen those videos but those youtubers are more or less garmin connected.  Just want to know if someone here has first hand opinion.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #147 on: Mar 01, 2019, 01:42 PM »
You can tell fish species pretty well, but of course if they are in the same family they'd have to be fairly large to distinguish detail, like perch and walleye. You can absolutely tell Pike from perch and wallet by their body shape, same goes for bass/carp shaped fish. Bigger the fish, the easier it gets to tell. Even in distance, once the ducer focuses on them you can tell a Pike from 40' forwards heading your way. In my opinion, I never fished with panoptix, only livescope, it is worth the premium cost. When new true competing options come out is where it will be possible to truly judge the money value. I have no association with Garmin btw.

Offline Ville1303

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #148 on: Mar 01, 2019, 02:31 PM »
thanks mboss really appreciate your opinions.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #149 on: Mar 01, 2019, 04:33 PM »
I have no idea if this thing is worth it but it sure sounds fun. But I can just imagine me telling my wife I spent 2 grand on something to catch fish. "What in the world did you spend $2000 on? Better not be something dumb like hunting or fishing. Please tell me it's jewelry?" I feel like donkey from Shrek, married to a fire breathing dragon.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.