Author Topic: pickerel worth keeping?  (Read 6378 times)

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
pickerel worth keeping?
« on: Jan 05, 2019, 08:42 AM »
ive been seeing posts on social media about keeping pickerel and wondering if i should try a few! if i were to pickle them, do the small bones dissolve? never tried this before so forgive me!
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline jign4koks

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: pickerel worth keeping?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2019, 12:21 PM »
Yep, the vinegar takes care of the bones.  If you like pickled fish, small pike/pickerel are great candidates. 

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2019, 05:30 PM »
My fishing partner caught a real nice one, about 24" during the open water season a couple of years ago. I filleted it based on a Youtube video and my wife cooked it along with some panfish I kept that day. The pickerel was really quite good when done with the basic light breading and pan frying. My less than perfect fillet job left a few bones to work around but not too big a problem. Not strong flavored or fishy at all; at least this fish wasn't.

I wouldn't hesitate to keep another large one.
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2019, 07:17 PM »
I just pickled a pike for the first time before Christmas, it turned out pretty good, much better than herring IMO.  I’ve never caught pickerel, they’re not around here at all, but I’m guessing that the bone structure is similar?  I left the y-bones in my 27” fish and the vinegar took care of them.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2019, 07:20 PM »
Abso-friggin-lutly they are worth keeping. Just  cooked  one on the ice this weekend. Nice white flaky white meat

Look up the pike bonless fillet technique on YouTube. No bones for pike or pickerel.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2019, 07:46 PM »
This is the video I think I would use the next time I was to keep a pickerel. I did the 5 fillet type process last time but this looks like a better idea.

Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2019, 07:54 PM »
That one looks good too. I do this.
&t=149s
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline maxmartens

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2019, 08:00 PM »

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2019, 08:05 PM »
In answer to the topic title not if the pickerel is to small!!!   Smaller the pickerel the bigger the bones it seems and less meat to get them out of.. so you end of with a lot less meat when I see small fish i.look at them and  toss em back to grow bigger slective harvesting if you will.. I do that with all fish I intend to keep..

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2019, 08:12 PM »

this is the recipe i use for pickled pike.its the best pickled fish ive ever had.

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2019, 10:04 PM »
we put them in the smoker and they are really good smoked , I  can't smoke them fast enough  for my mom and dad                                     
b
hook and cook

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2019, 02:31 AM »
Dont eat them too often but when i do, i tend to make fish pattys out of them as i am lazy and dont want to take the time to sure all the bones are removed for the mrs'. Ill filet them and do a rough removal of the Y bones then toss the filets in a food processor with some spices, bread crumbs, & garlic. I'll pan fry in butter and they come out fantastic.

Offline Cooperman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2019, 10:41 AM »
Yes, they are great pickled. I also use Shotgun Reds pickle recipe. People that have tasted mine love it, say it’s much better than pickled herring. I try and use pike I get in the winter.

Offline wiggins422

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2019, 06:51 PM »
Yes.My friends will take them and grind them up with spices and make patties out of them.Was pretty good.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2019, 05:23 AM »
I always wanted to try pickling them but grinding them is much easier. I fillet them out and remove all the rib bones, I don't even bother with the y bones. I have a kitchenaid mixer with a grinder attachment that I use to grind them up with a fine blade. I add an egg, finely diced onion, Italian bread crumbs and make patties that I put on a cooky sheet lined with wax paper. I then slip it into the freezer, when stiff enough I slide them into a vac bag and vacuum seal them and put them back in the freezer. I cook them on the grill and have them on buns with all the fixings. The family loves them and you don't even notice any bones.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2019, 07:49 AM »
I always wanted to try pickling them but grinding them is much easier.

Pickling is quite easy, dare I say maybe easier than grinding, it just takes some time aging to be ready.

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2022, 03:44 AM »
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2022, 09:05 AM »
I like to make mine w/ a 50/50 giardeneria , the veggies get added after the final ice bath & pickle for a week.
Takes 2 weeks to make, but well worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.