Author Topic: first ice panfish jigging  (Read 918 times)

Offline Chrisper4694

• Team IceShanty Regular
first ice panfish jigging
« on: Dec 13, 2018, 12:31 PM »
someone has to post the first ice report here haha...

this tuesday, between being tired of waiting, not fishing for over a week and a half, and not having much daylight after work to accomplish much by, i convinced NJsquatch to hold the other end of the rope while i strapped on a life vest and spud barred and area of ice on an area i'm very familiar with.

we had 3" of solid black ice away from the edge so we punched some holes and got a short jigging session in. we had a little action from perch and gills but no good size and unfortunately (unlike years past) I think all the crappie that would normally start coming through at night are mostly gone  no sign of them we we went home.

switched targets to perch and gills instead of crappie Wednesday, to try to get some size and we had better luck with gills to 9" and perch to 12" but again not enough time to really catch too many. ice was about 4" but this lake freezes super early compared to most places so take it easy out there!

also, on my way up 287, I almost got beheaded by a flying slab of metal...came flopping over the top of the cars in front of me like a giant ninja star. I ducked couldn't really swerve much so i ducked behind my dash and the think took the front roof rack bar clean off of my car! Pretty pissed i need a new rack, but honestly pretty lucky with no car damage and i still have my face!

Squatch is going to have to add the pics he has on his phone, I only have the ones from my camera.

Offline IceFishing07666

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: first ice panfish jigging
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2018, 02:38 PM »
I'm so jealous.  Great job!
Fish like there's no tomorrow.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Re: first ice panfish jigging
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2018, 02:49 PM »
 Congratulations on getting out and catching some fish. Sorry to hear about your car glad you did not get injured.
Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.