New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: anyone having ice fever?  (Read 18990 times)

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
Re: anyone having ice fever?
« Reply #90 on: Oct 19, 2012, 09:09 PM »
north woods how much does that shanty weigh? what did you construct it out of?

2x4 runners, 7/16 floor, 2x2 studs, rubber roof, 1/4 siding. Just a basic light shanty....

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #91 on: Oct 19, 2012, 11:03 PM »
So its prob around 300-400lbs......4inches of ice is kind of sketchy for that kind of weight when you add a guy or two inside the shanty......you never have any issues?  :tipup: :icefish:
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #92 on: Oct 19, 2012, 11:19 PM »
So its prob around 300-400lbs......4inches of ice is kind of sketchy for that kind of weight when you add a guy or two inside the shanty......you never have any issues?  :tipup: :icefish:

None so far. I admit we were pushing the limits of sanity! The ice got thicker over the next few days. That first day though...I was NERVOUS!!!

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #93 on: Oct 20, 2012, 02:44 AM »
The frost we had earlier in the week got my blood pumping. It was awesome seeing my truck covered in what looked like millions of little diamonds from the flood light beaming on it. I feel confident that I'll be out on the ice before the end of deer season.

Offline FellThru82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Oct 20, 2012, 07:27 AM »
im hoping were on the ice before the new year for sure..  deer season ends in dec so im good with that bring on the ice.
TEAMHACKSHACK

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #95 on: Oct 20, 2012, 04:44 PM »

i love the ice but the casting for eyes right now is keeping the DT's from setting in  ;D

Offline FellThru82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Oct 20, 2012, 05:46 PM »
is there anywhere you can ice fish all year round i know in alaska you can fish in may in nome!!
TEAMHACKSHACK

Offline jbscowboy99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WOOHOO! ICE FISHING 2011!
« Reply #97 on: Oct 20, 2012, 07:45 PM »
Omg hell yeah! Cannot wait to step on some hard water. That fresh cold windy air!! Freshest air you'll ever breath!!!!
And God said " let there be ice" and all was at peace.

Offline FellThru82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Oct 21, 2012, 07:58 AM »
i just finished building my ice shanty yesterday. its all set just have one thing left to do and thats run the pipe out of it for my wood stove other than that its all set cant wait to drag it out on the ice for the year!!
TEAMHACKSHACK

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #99 on: Oct 22, 2012, 03:02 PM »
i hope oneida freezes up good im looking forward to getting some eyes on the ice fellthru
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline Fish-N-Adventures

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #100 on: Oct 27, 2012, 07:38 PM »
I was hoping to spend my extra 10 buck gift card when the ice fishing gear came out but while looking thru the fish'n gear at dick's sporting goods, they had rows of #14, 12, 10, and #8 treble hooks so I bought up 30 bucks of hooks and sinkers for the tipups.   :tipup: :tipup:  :tipup:  ;D ;D  @) @)  :tipup: :tipup:  :tipup: :tipup: AWWWWWWW it's killing me, I'm ready for ICE!!  :tipup:

Offline rikrad1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing RULZ!
« Reply #101 on: Oct 28, 2012, 11:08 AM »
I am getting my ice fishing stuff out of storage today and setting it up for this winter ice. Last year no ice i bought a 14 foot aluminum boat for fishing and used it all last winter. Hopefully will get to sit on the ice this year.

Offline Jay Fat City

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That Dummy Out on the Ice By Himself
« Reply #102 on: Oct 28, 2012, 11:34 AM »
im dying for the water to freeze cant wait....wish winter was here......keep your lines tight

bigZ

After last year's dud, I'm chomping to get out there. Done lots of scouting, planned a few distance trips, marked up my calendar. I'll be sprucing up the sled once this silly hurricane blows by.

Jay
  <=== On my car, on my sled, on my soul!

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #103 on: Oct 28, 2012, 02:11 PM »
ICE FISHING FEVER ??  In afew hours I'm likely to be treading water!!  Wish I had a nice Iceberg to float around on !!!

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #104 on: Oct 28, 2012, 08:11 PM »
they say this storm is no joke we will see sooon

Offline ICE4ME75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Oct 29, 2012, 12:21 PM »
everybody turn there a/c units on high and point them outdoors. maybe we can cool this storm off and get some ice / snow out of this crap and at least make it worth while.  ;D 

i need to walk on the hard stuff.   getting delirious

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #106 on: Oct 30, 2012, 05:41 PM »
everybody turn there a/c units on high and point them outdoors. maybe we can cool this storm off and get some ice / snow out of this crap and at least make it worth while.  ;D 

i need to walk on the hard stuff.   getting delirious

i think we will be on the hardwater by xmas!

Offline ICE4ME75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Oct 31, 2012, 11:24 AM »
hope you are right bigzin. i would love to get out by then. we need some drop in temps to get these lakes started though. down here around albany it's been 40's and 50's at night. 10 day outlook has it getting down in the 30's at night coming up so cross your fingers and pray.

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #108 on: Nov 01, 2012, 08:04 AM »
I have rain/snow showers listed twice in the next 10 days its getting close!

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #109 on: Nov 01, 2012, 04:35 PM »
which lake gets the first ice in ny? placid?

Offline OGGYDOGGY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH ON!!
« Reply #110 on: Nov 01, 2012, 04:52 PM »
AAAWWWW! Ya!

Offline FellThru82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #111 on: Nov 02, 2012, 07:36 PM »
heres some good news its suppoesed to be a high of 44 degrees and lows in the 30 to 32 range bring on the ice
TEAMHACKSHACK

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #112 on: Nov 02, 2012, 07:39 PM »
I am big time.  At my house right now it's 35 degrees and snow flurrying   :tipup: 

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #113 on: Nov 03, 2012, 12:12 PM »
well if you guys want to use tip-ups in the summer its easy! just get a sheet of 1 inch styrofoam and cut a 2 foot circle out of it and then cut a 8 inch hole for your tipup. then lower your bait and set the flag and watch your tip-up float around. just make sure you have a boat to chase down your flags!

Offline Fish-N-Adventures

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #114 on: Nov 04, 2012, 03:01 AM »
well if you guys want to use tip-ups in the summer its easy! just get a sheet of 1 inch styrofoam and cut a 2 foot circle out of it and then cut a 8 inch hole for your tipup. then lower your bait and set the flag and watch your tip-up float around. just make sure you have a boat to chase down your flags!
I've seen a video of someone doing that, I think it was Blain from CT.  :tipup: :tipup:  ;D

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #115 on: Nov 04, 2012, 09:01 AM »

Thats a good idea i might try that on a friends pond!

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #116 on: Nov 04, 2012, 09:56 AM »

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #117 on: Nov 04, 2012, 10:01 AM »

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #118 on: Nov 04, 2012, 11:56 AM »
Over the summer I worked on some changes in how I carry and organize my stuff in my sled.  Yesterday I got all the stuff out of storage and repacked the sled to sort of refresh my memory of my plan.  I have my own PVC version of a Smity Sled set up and I modified it a bit too - made it simpler and lighter.  Im ready that's for sure.  Just need to get some new leader line and wait for Santa to drop a few things under the tree - I'm ready.  Already planning some larger purchases for next year (or end of season sales).  Did I mention I'm ready?  There was snow on the ground here this morning and my wife was not thrilled when I started singing "Walking in a Winter Wonderland" and substituting ice fishing lyrics at 8:00 this morning.  Well, she did like the fact that two of our three kids that had jumped in our bed ran downstairs to see the snow.  Headed off to the local Gander Mountain in a bit to see if they have any of the ice mags left and what, if any, ice gear is out.  Did I mention being ready?

Tight Lines and Hard Water by X-mas

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #119 on: Nov 04, 2012, 07:04 PM »

illegal to do in NY.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.