Author Topic: Auger mount for 4-wheelers  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Icecracka46

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My favorite fishing partner
Auger mount for 4-wheelers
« on: Jan 06, 2009, 08:11 AM »
I have been thinking of designing a auger mount for utility vehicles. I want to be able to mount a auger on the front of my wheeler and drive to a area drill a hole lock the auger drive to the next hole ect.You don't have to carry just drive and drill.The auger turns 90 deg when not in use.
Has anyone seen something like this?
Thanks
 :tipup:

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Auger mount for 4-wheelers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2009, 08:35 AM »
i would suggest reverse engeneering the post hole diggers you see on bobcats and farm tractor 3-point hitches , and also take a look at the diggers you move around manually- these can be found at rental centers, for ideas you could make work on your ATV.
if you have a workshop with a welder and tubing benders, this could be a fun little project- post some pics when you're done
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2009, 10:05 AM »
I have been thinking of designing a auger mount for utility vehicles. I want to be able to mount a auger on the front of my wheeler and drive to a area drill a hole lock the auger drive to the next hole ect.You don't have to carry just drive and drill.The auger turns 90 deg when not in use.
Has anyone seen something like this?
Thanks
 :tipup:

You are late.  I found this one this year.  Not about to purchase it, but I might consider copying it for my own use ---- some day when I get old enough  ;D

Check out augersidekick.com

This is NOT an endorsement - just a source of info.

Looks  8) anyways.

Offline Icecracka46

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My favorite fishing partner
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2009, 01:08 PM »
I checked it out.Looks like it works pretty good.
Thanks

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2009, 01:16 PM »
I checked it out.Looks like it works pretty good.
Thanks
Now - that thing right there - with an IceGator - plugged into your wheeler electrics would be the "ticket".  I would mount it up front though.  It'd be even cooler with some kind of linkage so you could run it without getting off the wheeler.  That would sure take the sweat out of drilling a couple hundred 10" holes.  I'd be looking for a 12" auger with a 5hp engine!  ;D

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2009, 04:50 PM »
I'm wondering if a bike brake cable would work? squeeze the bike brake for gas release to stop it.  Now just to be able to get the auger to go up and down on the frame without getting off your machine.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2009, 06:42 PM »
I'm wondering if a bike brake cable would work? squeeze the bike brake for gas release to stop it.  Now just to be able to get the auger to go up and down on the frame without getting off your machine.
That's exactly why I felt an electric auger would be the ticket - just a wire or two and a switch (something like a winch control).  The up and down could be from a small 12v electric gear-motor on a "screw-jack"?  Just some thoughts. Maybe the manual lift mechanism they use for wheeler plows would be adaptable.
I'm ready to begin fabrication soon.

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2009, 06:49 PM »
Kolpin ratchet gear grips work excellent.  Whats nice is that they twist off the rack and only a small plastic base stays.  Nice and secure and no wobble etc etc.   Not for your electric auger however but might give you an idea...

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2009, 08:02 PM »
Kolpin ratchet gear grips work excellent.  Whats nice is that they twist off the rack and only a small plastic base stays.  Nice and secure and no wobble etc etc.   Not for your electric auger however but might give you an idea...

(Image removed from quote.)
Wasn't going to mention those POSs.  Maybe OK for a hand auger, but - I put a pair on my wheeler and didn't get 50 ft down the trail with my Jiffy in them - broke both of them off the bases!  Just don't ever put any "twisting/bending" force on them.  Ha - didn't hurt the Jiffy though.
I do have to say though, that Koplin sent me a new pair; for free.  Just don't know what I'm going to use them for.

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2009, 08:10 PM »
Well the hand "lever" that runs your auger more-or-less just pulls a spring, so even kite string may work just enough to pull the spring. Possibilites for not having to get off the machine would be to have an extended frame for this with a pulleye att at the top and use the winch to retreive auger from the hole you just dug to move to the next hole. If I was going to do this I'd want to have all and any ideas hammered out good/bad use/not use before I made my own modifications.

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2009, 08:14 PM »
I'm sure there has to be some kind of "blue-prints" avail online somewhere!!!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2009, 08:22 PM »
I'm sure there has to be some kind of "blue-prints" avail online somewhere!!!
I doubt the company that produces that mount will "give" the blueprints away.  Anyhow, personal reproduction of a patented item is not illegal - just don't reproduce and market it.  I have some pictures of the mount to go on and believe I can fabricate the mount, no problem.  ;D

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2009, 08:36 PM »
Well seeing as how I only have one good hand right now mind if I let you go at it first and what problems arrose with it? I'm looking for ways to make it go up and down without getting off my quad. There is a 3 pt system but at 700 it's not to user friendly for 2-3 months of ice fishing.

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2009, 08:43 PM »
Actually I think I found 90% of what I invisioned in my head I would want it to look like. Kolpin has a tilt-n-tote game loader, few mods and I think I would be in business.

Offline JFergus7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2009, 01:51 AM »
Talk about being lazy.  Check this link out:

http://www.blackline.us/video2.php

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2009, 04:32 AM »
Talk about being lazy.  Check this link out:

http://www.blackline.us/video2.php

Yeah - that's what I'm talking about.  Make that an electric auger with a reverse and NICE.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.