Author Topic: A Word About Politeness While On IceShanty  (Read 3948 times)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: A Word About Politeness While On IceShanty
« Reply #30 on: Dec 06, 2013, 03:19 PM »
  The forum is for polite company.

Exquisite statement GOM .

Civility and simplicity, too, aid in understanding. 

Sober patience and a good sense of humor, will give the vision to read between the lines and is a benefit to maturity.

Thanx GOM, for pointing out things that should be foremost in our awareness, before clicking "Post".      ;)2 :bow:

Tom

Offline chevy rotbox

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 06, 2013, 04:05 PM »
very well said :clap:
retired let the fishing begin

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #32 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:09 PM »
Over on the the Montana page we created a special meme just for the people that want to be difficult.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #33 on: Dec 07, 2013, 07:14 AM »
on the other end, variety is the spice of life and healthy discussion of differing opinions can extract some very useful information.  While its best we all try and be polite, its not always possible to detect that in typed text.   thicken up that skin a bit, put on your big boy pants and roll with the punches.

Yup!

I guess there are some people that would like this site to be where rocking horse people eat marshmallow pies and we all stare down the ice hole at the fish with kaleidoscope eyes, but that's not the real world and most people would quickly get bored with it.

This is the internet and banter and insults will always be present, to get upset by this and dwell on it will show others your lack of experience and knowledge of the internet... but if you find something truly offensive there's a Report to Moderator link in the bottom right hand corner of every post. Click on this and you can tells the mods you're offended and they can decide if the post warrants their attention.

Just remember... this is the internet and dumb people are going to say dumb stuff, and overlooking it is a lot better than getting upset about it.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline chukarbird

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 07, 2013, 09:15 AM »
Amen! I have been fishing for 50 years but always have my ears & eyes open to new ideas for being successful. Always looking for the clear path, not the detour!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #35 on: Dec 07, 2013, 09:37 AM »
I'm live in the Albany, New York area, but I'm from Colorado.  I've traveled the country and there is a preconceived notion that the entire state is one big city. 

Trying to explain that New York state is very big, and that the city only occupies a small corner, is useless.  The majority of the state is rampant with wildlife and we have one of the largest state parks in the country, with an excellent mountain range.   

People do not like New Yorkers. New Yorkers don't even like New Yorkers.  There's a country song about how "You can keep New York City..sumthin, sumthin" and a salsa commercial where a bunch of cowboys are sitting around a campfire and one of them reads the label on the salsa and he shouts out, "This was made in New Yawk City!", and they proceed to hog tie the camp cook.

Therefore, to avoid the stigma of being from New York, I have chosen a very accurate alternative answer to the request for location.  I'm here.           

I do.   :)  I've met at least six people from New York on here who have turned into great friends. A few have sent me things out of the goodness of their own hearts, just "because they wanted to". Some of the best people I've met, and I will pay it forward to them.... GOM, you've made a great post.  :thumbsup:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #36 on: Dec 07, 2013, 10:01 AM »
I'll heartily agree with the tenor of this thread.  :thumbsup: :bow:

I stumbled in here few years ago following a Google search on something or other. One of the returns was a forum thread on IS. I not only got an answer, but a whole bunch of other options. After some mousing and lurking I decided I liked the community and I've been stuck here since.

Are there some disagreements? Sure. But most of the time they seem to be resolved even if the parties simply agree to disagree. I've been around the block enough times to know that A.) There is more than one way to skin a cat and B.) I'm not always right and the day I can't learn something new is the day I start to become less smart.  @) IS is an opportunity to share my experiences AND benefit from the experiences of others.

It's easy to complain and pick stuff apart; not so easy to recognize something worthwhile and let everyone know that something is going right. A tip of the hat to GOM for helping us all remember why we've not just come here but continue to enjoy the quality community that IS is.

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #37 on: Dec 07, 2013, 10:31 AM »
You girls done complaining ;D

Really, y'all only see 10% of the garbage posts thanks to the moderator team and the members who report the goings on around here. One good thing is, the jerks usually troll a bit and fade away. The really good members seem to last .

I always say.....IT'S JUST A FISHING WEB SITE. IT AIN'T THAT IMPORTANT!

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #38 on: Dec 07, 2013, 10:47 AM »

I always say.....IT'S JUST A FISHING WEB SITE. IT AIN'T THAT IMPORTANT!

RG

Au contraire Mr. fixit. Life IS fishing............the rest is just details.  ;)

(P.S. I appreciate the moderating teams' skills too!)

/m

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 07, 2013, 11:30 AM »
Couldn't pay me to be a moderator. 

Can I have a delete button like the mods. please?  You know the red one.  I'll take care of stuff that you let slide.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #40 on: Dec 07, 2013, 11:35 AM »
Couldn't pay me to be a moderator. 

Can I have a delete button like the mods. please?  You know the red one.  I'll take care of stuff that you let slide.

Is that like, "I believe the world would be a much nicer place if everyone was fitted with a shock collar and everyone had a button?" Just something I think about once in a while................

/m

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #41 on: Dec 07, 2013, 11:39 AM »
Is that like, "I believe the world would be a much nicer place if everyone was fitted with a shock collar and everyone had a button?" Just something I think about once in a while................

/m

;D

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 07, 2013, 12:21 PM »

/m
No, it's more like "I believe the world would be a much nicer place if everyone was fitted with a shock collar and I had the button?"

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #43 on: Dec 07, 2013, 12:23 PM »

;D

:roflmao:  Good one Reb.     If that catches on among the canines, our 1st amendment rights could be curtailed.    :woot: :roflmao:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #44 on: Dec 07, 2013, 12:28 PM »
:roflmao:  Good one Reb.     If that catches on among the canines, our 1st amendment rights could be curtailed.    :woot: :roflmao:

We need to take "paws" and think about that.  :woot:  ;)

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 07, 2013, 01:14 PM »
Yup!

I guess there are some people that would like this site to be where rocking horse people eat marshmallow pies and we all stare down the ice hole at the fish with kaleidoscope eyes, but that's not the real world and most people would quickly get bored with it...

...This is the internet and banter and insults will always be present, to get upset by this and dwell on it will show others your lack of experience and knowledge of the internet...
I have no delusions about this site being, "where rocking horse people eat marshmallow pies and we all stare down the ice hole at the fish with kaleidoscope eyes" (reminds me of a song).  I had read a series of posts in one sitting, and innocent guys were slapped around and insulted.  As the direct result, and in a moment of temporary insanity, I got the idea of simply pointing out the importance of politeness.  I regret having started the thread now because I'm not a moderator and because I'm catching flack.  The moderators love to catch flack, that's why they volunteer. 

I have a bad habit of standing up for social justice. 

But, I completely agree that my lack of Work Wide Web internet experience is to blame for the sensitivity to crap, I don't dwell on it, I just notice it. 
My computer training has been mostly high security intranet.  Inappropriate remarks were not tolerated.

Finally, I seem to be coming across as too sensitive.  I guess you would expect that from a guy that starts a thread on politeness. 
Feel free to give me your best shot.
I'm your huckleberry.     

Offline dachmation

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #46 on: Dec 07, 2013, 01:25 PM »
Lmao, "The moderators love to catch flack, that's why they volunteer." We don't love to get flak, but if I deleted every post I didn't think was polite my finger plus my finite Delete Button would be worn out.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 07, 2013, 01:27 PM »
...Feel free to give me your best shot...

My PM inbox seems to be full of people taking me up on the offer.  Please allow two seconds for me to empty it, and try again.   
Is that the best you've got?  My mother called me worse things.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #48 on: Dec 07, 2013, 01:28 PM »
Lmao, "The moderators love to catch flack, that's why they volunteer." We don't love to get flak, but if I deleted every post I didn't think was polite my finger plus my finite Delete Button would be worn out.

Maybe ya could get a foot pedal, like the old time high beam/low beam, Dach. Might end up just look like yer tappin' yer foot... :woot:

Offline spudsaway

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 07, 2013, 03:51 PM »
Ethics, Integrity , Morals, politeness, Humility , Decency, all these words can be defined and are very old words. I bet they can even be looked up   on Wikipedia.  How does not having a sense of what the internet is mean.  We should tolerate the  abandonment of  proper Human behavior.

Are we saying being younger and more connected makes people worse people ?  I think folks my age grew up saying to someones face what we had to say.  I think we learned ,say it rudely ,sometimes led to being knocked on your Butt or at least an attempt to .  We learned to not insult or denigrate others unless we meant it and wished to back up the mouth.   We were not overly polite just More Honest  toward each other.  I grew up in Rexdale that doesn't mean anything on a U.S Board, but  In Toronto That means a Tuff neighborhood , I am by no means a nice person to them that do not deserve Nice. I am however always polite to strangers until given reason not to be .. Rexdale rules ! They were used to keep you out of the Hospital now they keep you from Getting much worse . Funny how the world got even tougher face to face, bullets now not feet and fists, and the people got ruder over a keyboard. 

Grumpy keep calling it the way you see it.  They think you are getting upset but I think like me it is more saddening than maddening.

Don't type or post to someone what you would not say to them face to face and if you wish to say something nasty for whatever P.M them keep it to yourselves.  Like why end the party by starting a fight in the living room take it outside Gents.  It is called Style for lack of a better word, Have some  Class is another , Politeness is just What Grumoy calls it.

Grump on Grumpster,  LOL We getting Grumpy with it . See i would say that to Grumpy and Hope he gets I am not poking him but laughing  at the Boys who will not understand the above and attack me along with him and like him, I will not care as I used to say to those that Chose to push me too far  You Wanna Dance  ? Lets Go !!

By The way Grumpy Love the Huckleberry reference  for that alone I would buy you a round Salute Huck

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #50 on: Dec 07, 2013, 04:10 PM »
Hey Grumpy! I'll screen yer PM box for ya. I don't mind being a target...... ;) It's my opinion if I don't get flipped off at least once during the day, I'm not doing my job right. @).

Buck up, man. I'll stand in yer corner, it ain't all bad.

/m

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #51 on: Dec 07, 2013, 04:15 PM »
It's sure gettin' crowded in GOM's corner.

We need a "Dog collar" tester. Maybe from a warmer clime, like, er, a, Alabama. Any volunteers.     >:D

Hint, hint, hint.   :roflmao:

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #52 on: Dec 07, 2013, 05:29 PM »
We all know there were people brought up to have respect for others and then there are all the rest. I most of the time ignore the rest.
<===Lefty===

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #53 on: Dec 07, 2013, 05:35 PM »
Just like Aretha sang, it's all about R E S P E C T.....  @)

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #54 on: Dec 07, 2013, 06:34 PM »
It's sure gettin' crowded in GOM's corner.

We need a "Dog collar" tester. Maybe from a warmer clime, like, er, a, Alabama. Any volunteers.     >:D

Hint, hint, hint.   :roflmao:

Y'all put the collars on and I'll push the button! >:D

I've worked construction all my life (and I'm an old fart) and these internet message boards are like a morning in Sunday school by comparison.

We cuss, fuss, scream, holler, fart, and burp out in the field. We insult and tease each other to pass the time and make the day go by quicker. I've learned from some masterful characters and consider insulting and teasing someone a fine art.

The rookies and greenhorns on the job that puff up and get all bent out of shape get hit twice as hard as the ones that just throw it back at you... never let anyone on a construction site know something bothers you, because if you do they'll run it into the ground... and I think that's why GOM's inbox is filling up.

The best anyone is going to get that insults me is scar tissue, and my scar tissue is tougher than Kevlar... so let 'er rip gator mouth and hummingbird butt! :-*
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline fishfighter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Dec 07, 2013, 06:48 PM »
I'm live in the Albany, New York area, but I'm from Colorado.  I've traveled the country and there is a preconceived notion that the entire state is one big city. 

Trying to explain that New York state is very big, and that the city only occupies a small corner, is useless.  The majority of the state is rampant with wildlife and we have one of the largest state parks in the country, with an excellent mountain range.   

People do not like New Yorkers.  New Yorkers don't even like New Yorkers.  There's a country song about how "You can keep New York City..sumthin, sumthin" and a salsa commercial where a bunch of cowboys are sitting around a campfire and one of them reads the label on the salsa and he shouts out, "This was made in New Yawk City!", and they proceed to hog tie the camp cook.

Therefore, to avoid the stigma of being from New York, I have chosen a very accurate alternative answer to the request for location.  I'm here.           
I know what you mean, I grew up just north of Binghamton in the country, we went on a spring college baseball trip to Kentucky.  We went out one night and a younger guy found out that we were from NY and asked us  "Y'all got guns?"  Everyone thinks that the entire state is covered in concrete or pavement and city slime. 
Mark it 8 dude

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #56 on: Dec 07, 2013, 08:15 PM »
The moderators love to catch flack, that's why they volunteer.

Its not that we love to catch flack, we just like to intercept it so everyone else on this site can enjoy the knowledge and camaraderie that is Iceshanty.com.   

Meanwhile, in my secrete lab, I'm trying to modify ;D my delete button that would not only allow me to delete a post, but send the poster an electrical shock through the internet. 

New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline CHEPIGUY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • gimme back that fillet o fish
« Reply #57 on: Dec 07, 2013, 08:30 PM »
people still wont get the point. they will think i doesnt mean them.lol
Chepi

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Dec 07, 2013, 08:31 PM »
The moderators love to catch flack, that's why they volunteer.

Its not that we love to catch flack, we just like to intercept it so everyone else on this site can enjoy the knowledge and camaraderie that is Iceshanty.com.   

Meanwhile, in my secrete lab, I'm trying to modify ;D my delete button that would not only allow me to delete a post, but send the poster an electrical shock through the internet. 

If you get that thing figured out let me know I would love to have that ability.
<===Lefty===

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #59 on: Dec 08, 2013, 12:30 AM »
I agree with the earlier post,not having to face someone gives the false sense of bravery." While people used to talk face to face,now talk Facebook to Facebook".

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.