Author Topic: A Word About Politeness While On IceShanty  (Read 3947 times)

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
A Word About Politeness While On IceShanty
« on: Dec 06, 2013, 03:24 AM »
This the first and only "social media" that I have ever taken part in.  I really like ice fishing, and so I come here to relax, learn, and talk about ice fishing and other things.  There are a lot of decent people on the site whom I have come to respect and I want to hear what they have to say.

However, it is very difficult to focus on learning a subject, or to interact with others when an impolite remark is made.  Rudeness is never welcome.  If you get into an argument with someone, take it outside.  We don't want to hear it.  Relax and join the camaraderie. 

Thank you for your time and patience,
Grumpy

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
Re: A Word About Politeness While On IceShanty
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2013, 03:34 AM »
Well said.

Offline DaleL57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2013, 05:47 AM »
2X

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2013, 06:04 AM »
X2

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2013, 06:12 AM »
This the first and only "social media" that I have ever taken part in.  I really like ice fishing, and so I come here to relax, learn, and talk about ice fishing and other things.  There are a lot of decent people on the site whom I have come to respect and I want to hear what they have to say.

However, it is very difficult to focus on learning a subject, or to interact with others when an impolite remark is made.  Rudeness is never welcome.  If you get into an argument with someone, take it outside.  We don't want to hear it.  Relax and join the camaraderie. 

Grumpy

That's why there is the PM function.   to keep things private. Also we have a report to moderator button. Feel free to use it if need be.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline BaieClement44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2013, 06:48 AM »
Totally agree

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2013, 06:53 AM »
Grumpyoldman is a very fitting handle for you  ;D ;D

Is there any ice out your way yet? We have had a taste of early ice here.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2013, 07:01 AM »
I agree,some times it is better to just offer your advice then to tell people this is how it is. Some of the guy's look at your advice and then offer theirs as the Holy Grail and you are wrong. If everyone would just offer theirs and let the people decide which to use would make things nice.
So Pay attention here! Just kidding.
<===Lefty===

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2013, 07:05 AM »

Grumpy

Well said!

This why I spend more time here (and FF)than at other sites! At some sites it seem that it is more about being a jerk than trying to help...

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2013, 07:17 AM »
I find folks on here to be much more polite than those on some other sites. Many of the posters on Stripers Online, for example, are real keyboard jockey a#%oles.

Offline JPascavage52

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2013, 07:19 AM »
Yes, this ain't FishErie ya know!
Pro staff for:

Liquid Mayhem
Titan Tungsten
Lunker City
Toad Thumper Lures

Youtube channel:
www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing/videos

Offline wileyc3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T7 Custom Rods, CatchEmAll Custom jigs
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2013, 07:23 AM »
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Be safe & Tight lines...........Wiley

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2013, 07:29 AM »
x2

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2013, 07:58 AM »
Grumpyoldman is a very fitting handle for you  ;D ;D

Is there any ice out your way yet? We have had a taste of early ice here.
Good mornin' to ya.
I'm really not that old. 
Nothing but skim ice here as of now.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2013, 08:15 AM »
...At some sites it seem that it is more about being a jerk than trying to help...
Some use the anonymity of their screen name as a cloak to be obnoxious or rude, or to get off a clever remark that insults. 
Remember that there are real people behind those screen names.  If you're naturally obnoxious or rude, or too clever by half, rein yourself in.   

Relax and enjoy the fellowship.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2013, 08:56 AM »
Good job Grumpyoldman!

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2013, 09:31 AM »
Good mornin' to ya.
I'm really not that old. 
Nothing but skim ice here as of now.

Won't be long now. I have 2 weekends of muzzleloader hunting to finish up then I will turn my focus to the hardwater. Have a great season "nothatold-grumpyoldman" ;D ;D

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2013, 09:34 AM »
Good job Grumpyoldman!

:clap: Perfect post for the start of the season.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2013, 09:37 AM »
Excellent post I totally agree :clap: :clap:
Never to many short poles

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2013, 09:45 AM »
Or, you can always ignore something that is posted that you don't like. Just because someone posts something doesn't mean you have to read it. It's just like watching TV or listening to the radio, if something comes on you don't like turn the channel or station... or in this case skip to another post or thread that you do like.

Opinions will vary in a large community and especially those online.

I'm not that picky... as long as they keep politics, religion, and sex out of it I'm good to go.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2013, 09:55 AM »
:clap: Perfect post for the start of the season.

X2  We live in different parts of the ice belt, we fish for different species, and we use different tactics, and techniques.  We have different opinions, and ways that have proven to work for us as individuals. 

What brings us together on this site is our love of ice fishing.  Ultimately our goals should be to share knowledge that we have, and learn from the shared knowledge of other members.  It is not about right or wrong.  Not every technique will work well on every lake, or every region.  However if we as members offer honest answers, and advice on the giving end,  and open mindly take the answers, and advice on the recieving end, we become stronger as a community, and more knowlegable as individuals.  Which hope fully makes us better ice fishers.  All it takes is a moment to remember 7 letters before  replying to a post.  RESPECT!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:09 AM »
Some use the anonymity of their screen name as a cloak

i see you don't care to say what part of the world you are in  ??? is there a reason why?

thanks for trying to help those that you think need it.

my 2 cents:
i like lefty2053 and GCD  and addicted to ice fishing opinions about this topic.

sharing information is key to bring people here in the first place.
some do, some don't. some do a better job of putting thoughts into words and some have a hard time.
sometimes we say things we don't mean to say, just like we do to our loved ones on rare occasion. then we wish we can take it back and some don't.
mean people have PC's too as do the polite. we see what happens when the two discuss things on here. it is not relaxing some times.
i personally have been attacked publicly here and i don't lie down. then we took it to the PM and cleared it up and removed our public posts.
i help a local bar here in town doing tech work and i set up security for them and give recordings to the police and it is plain crazy to see what people will do when they think they can get away with things. maybe it's the alcohol talking. so people drinking that on a forum might say some thing out of line quicker than those who don't. so i consider this when i read threads, mostly the later in the day ones.

anyway, good topic to share courtesy thoughts on and thanks!

Offline robson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:29 AM »
! Dido! well said on that!

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2013, 11:07 AM »
i see you don't care to say what part of the world you are in  ??? is there a reason why?

thanks for trying to help those that you think need it.

my 2 cents:
i like lefty2053 and GCD  and addicted to ice fishing opinions about this topic.

sharing information is key to bring people here in the first place.
some do, some don't. some do a better job of putting thoughts into words and some have a hard time.
sometimes we say things we don't mean to say, just like we do to our loved ones on rare occasion. then we wish we can take it back and some don't.
mean people have PC's too as do the polite. we see what happens when the two discuss things on here. it is not relaxing some times.
i personally have been attacked publicly here and i don't lie down. then we took it to the PM and cleared it up and removed our public posts.
i help a local bar here in town doing tech work and i set up security for them and give recordings to the police and it is plain crazy to see what people will do when they think they can get away with things. maybe it's the alcohol talking. so people drinking that on a forum might say some thing out of line quicker than those who don't. so i consider this when i read threads, mostly the later in the day ones.

anyway, good topic to share courtesy thoughts on and thanks!
I'm live in the Albany, New York area, but I'm from Colorado.  I've traveled the country and there is a preconceived notion that the entire state is one big city. 

Trying to explain that New York state is very big, and that the city only occupies a small corner, is useless.  The majority of the state is rampant with wildlife and we have one of the largest state parks in the country, with an excellent mountain range.   

People do not like New Yorkers.  New Yorkers don't even like New Yorkers.  There's a country song about how "You can keep New York City..sumthin, sumthin" and a salsa commercial where a bunch of cowboys are sitting around a campfire and one of them reads the label on the salsa and he shouts out, "This was made in New Yawk City!", and they proceed to hog tie the camp cook.

Therefore, to avoid the stigma of being from New York, I have chosen a very accurate alternative answer to the request for location.  I'm here.             

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Dec 06, 2013, 11:16 AM »
Exactly.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2013, 11:43 AM »
Or, you can always ignore something that is posted that you don't like. Just because someone posts something doesn't mean you have to read it. It's just like watching TV or listening to the radio, if something comes on you don't like turn the channel or station... or in this case skip to another post or thread that you do like.

Opinions will vary in a large community and especially those online.

I'm not that picky... as long as they keep politics, religion, and sex out of it I'm good to go.

I was reading a fascinating thread on stabilizers and gas/oil ratios last night, and on the fourth page, one fellow insults another.  There was no need for it and it disrupted the ongoing discussion.  I kept reading and there was a wit that was too clever by half who chimed in.  He contributed nothing to the discussion.  He just needed to get off a bon mot that he had thought of.  I finished the article and I'll be danged if their antics didn't make me forget some of what I had learned.

I always try to ignore acts of rudeness, and I do ignore posts and threads that are inflammatory.  But, it's not necessary and it's destructive.    Differing opinions are no excuse.  Good manners are good manners. 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2013, 01:02 PM »
I'm live in the Albany, New York area, but I'm from Colorado.  I've traveled the country and there is a preconceived notion that the entire state is one big city. 

Trying to explain that New York state is very big, and that the city only occupies a small corner, is useless.  The majority of the state is rampant with wildlife and we have one of the largest state parks in the country, with an excellent mountain range.   

People do not like New Yorkers.  New Yorkers don't even like New Yorkers.  There's a country song about how "You can keep New York City..sumthin, sumthin" and a salsa commercials where a bunch of cowboys are sitting around a campfire and one of them reads the label on the salsa and he shouts out, "This was made in New Yawk City!", and they proceed to hog tie the camp cook.

Therefore, to avoid the stigma of being from New York, I have chosen a very accurate alternative answer to the request for location.  I'm here.           

i never heard of that and it sounds really sad that people are that mean and it's no wonder why you posted a thread about online etiquette. i see many others from new york have it in their tag, but some shorten it up to county/city and not state.

i did some work on cable tv lines (proof, sweep and balance) being built there in the early 80's and was amazed at the culture and the people i was able to talk to. many of them thought i was from there with the lack of the letter r used in a word, as it is in maine (my mom was born there) and most northeast coast. you kind of pick up the accent quickly. it was like a different world for sure.

listening to how many do not need a car because every thing they would ever need to buy is with-in walking distance. i did see some bad stuff, but i see or hear about that every where and to single out a state seems crazy. most of our forefathers went thru there to get where we are now, so we are more or less all new yorkers in a sense.

the area you describe sounds great to be in and makes me not want to be a "flat lander" as we are called by our people in portland maine

must be times have changed. i was just recently told that english is not the main language of the united states of america any longer  >:(

i live in a village and like village living. lot less crime and gangs and trash. not sure why we have so many police types here tho with state, local and sheriff all in the same place.

thanks for helping me understand
talk to you later

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 06, 2013, 01:13 PM »
on the other end, variety is the spice of life and healthy discussion of differing opinions can extract some very useful information.  While its best we all try and be polite, its not always possible to detect that in typed text.   thicken up that skin a bit, put on your big boy pants and roll with the punches. 

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 06, 2013, 01:45 PM »
... thicken up that skin a bit, put on your big boy pants and roll with the punches.
Sir, I will PM my response to your remark.  The forum is for polite company.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2013, 03:13 PM »
this forum is about a manly sport where we burp, fart, spit, and scratch our butts.  we head out into the cold and wind and hunt like our ancient ancestors did before us.  there is a level of respect that should be observed by all for our fellow fisherman, but we can not expect to not have healthy shouting and grunting at times.  do it in love and without rudeness and all will be happy. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.