Author Topic: How do you "jig" spoons under the ice?  (Read 2293 times)

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
How do you "jig" spoons under the ice?
« on: Nov 27, 2012, 07:08 PM »
This post on another thread got me thinking about all the different techniques we have when using spoons for ice fishing:

......I would agree, seems like some guys here need a lesson on jigging spoons.

So, for the benefit of all of us here, how do you do it?  Hopefully I can learn something from you, and perhaps you from my experience in the far North.  Fish are fish, wherever they are, and maybe we have some unique ideas that will work elsewhere.

The most effective technique for me is to raise the spoon s-l-o-w-l-y, no more than about 12-18", the let it drop on a completely slack line.  I let the line actually fall slack onto the water in coils as it is pulled down by the lure.  When the line tightens up, I hold the lure motionless, for a few seconds, before repeating the motion.

Some strikes come on the uplift, but most are on the flutter down, with lake trout absolutely smashing the lure hard enough to pull out the slack.  I am wondering if this might also work for you guys who are hunting walleyes?

Ted

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: How do you "jig" spoons under the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2012, 07:15 PM »
Many different ways to do it. I try a lot of different things until I find one that works for the day or Hour depending on the fish.
<===Lefty===

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2012, 07:16 PM »
depends on what species I am fishing for and the mood the fish are in. Some days you barely have to move the spoon and other days you have to jig aggressively.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2012, 07:18 PM »
thumbs up guys i would  read up on this book they got quite a few tecniques in it on jigging for lakers to pike. here is a link to the book a older version.

http://product.half.ebay.com/Ice-Fishing-Secrets-by-Dave-Genz-Doug-Stange-and-Al-Lindner-1991-Paperback/951145&tg=info

Offline AlgonaIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2012, 07:45 PM »
Yes this will most definitely correlate with walleyes, it is the tactic I use for them in the rivers, the dying flutter makes them hit almost always, of course there are exceptions to the rule but for the most part this is very effective.
Harvesting Walleyes on the East Fork of the Des Moines River

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2012, 08:08 PM »
Most of the time I just bounce the jig enough to make the hook wobble back and forth. Mix in with dropping  the jig down into the mud and do the same thing with the hook just barely in the mud. If I'm using something capable of making noise I will also do whatever it takes to make the jig make noise. If its a buck shot that means just letting the jig tip over in the mud or barely popping it to make it flop over a bit at the top of the up lift. If none of this works...adjust as needed.

Offline MitchMeyers92

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO HAWKS!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2012, 09:09 PM »
i like to rip it a foot or so and let it fall with slack line then just jiggle it

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2012, 11:11 PM »
It depends on the shape and thickness of the spoon.  A very thin flutter spoon would certainly need less movement to give it any action while a thick narrow spoon would have to be twitched much more violently to give it action.

For brook trout, I found that a subtle twitching with a flutter spoon is the most effective.  I also found that not adding any bait actually increased the number of bites.  The bites are always hard.  It's a lot of fun but you can't just sit back and watch your rod tip like you can when using bait.

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2012, 08:21 AM »
I let the fish dictate how i jig. Normally its the slow rise and let it fall. Once in awhile ill jig it like crazy and stop. Alot fish came after it stops.
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2012, 11:14 AM »
This is how I do it.

OH, I thought you said how do you jig on the ice!!!     :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2012, 12:11 PM »
It depends on the spoon and fish mood as others have said. With flutterfish I like to lift a foot and let it fall on semi slack line, sometimes with a single spike or gulp dough on the hook. With kastmasters I generally pack the treble hook full with spikes or mousies and just lift and drop an inch or so. Sometimes ill wigle the rod tip while lifting up a foot and drop it slowly. No matter what I always hit bottom every so often.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2012, 12:39 PM »
Thanks I just bought it off amazon the 1998 version, I love reading before I go to bed, then dream about ice fishing.

thumbs up guys i would  read up on this book they got quite a few tecniques in it on jigging for lakers to pike. here is a link to the book a older version.

Ice-Fishing-Secrets-by-Dave-Genz-Doug-Stange-and-Al-Lindner-1991-Paperback

Offline Water and ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2012, 05:39 PM »
How many of you guys use a swivels when you jig to prevent line twist?

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2012, 06:19 PM »
I do, but it has to be a quality swivel.  I put it between the main line and a five foot monofilament leader.

On that topic, how many of you guys use fluoro, and does it actually make any difference in the number of strikes you get?

Ted

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2012, 07:03 PM »
I do, but it has to be a quality swivel.  I put it between the mail line and a five foot monofilament leader.

On that topic, how many of you guys use fluoro, and does it actually make any difference in the number of strikes you get?

Ted

I use 8# flouro leader on my lighter outfits.
The stuff is really tough and it usually survives if I happen to hang a pike while fishing walleye, whitefish or lakers.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.