Author Topic: 13Fishing Teardrop  (Read 25205 times)

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CAPTAIN OF THE F.O.P. ICE FISHING TEAM.
Re: 13Fishing Teardrop
« Reply #60 on: Dec 24, 2013, 02:44 PM »
Just makes the cork sticky and might discolor it thats all lol. Good luck. You will like the cold snap feel wraps great choice!!! Merry christmas!!!!
DONALD T WITMER III                                 Pro staff for Catch em all custom jigs, ACE custom rods, Contraband baits, Bonehead Tackle, Rhyno custom jigs,  And Expedition outdoors!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #61 on: Dec 24, 2013, 02:58 PM »
Cold snap reel rings.. no damage to rod and the are nice and tight!!!!!

They will damage the cork eventually, leaving small indents were the rings were.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Dec 24, 2013, 04:47 PM »
They will damage the cork eventually, leaving small indents were the rings were.

Not worried about that, fish dont care....

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #63 on: Dec 24, 2013, 05:07 PM »
Got mine in today, ill give it a good testing on Thursday.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline C W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Dec 25, 2013, 12:05 AM »
Take the spool out to tie your line onto the spool, put spool back in and reel in the new line....Yes you can use whatver you prefer to attach to your rod, I used Cold Snap rings....

I don't think this will work on the tear drop? The spool is built into the reel. I just tied to the reel used a tiny piece of tape and rn my backing line on like any other baitcaster.

CW

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #65 on: Dec 25, 2013, 07:03 AM »
The spool is removable. On the side panel with he dial (opposite side from the handle/drag) youll see a small flush button. Push it in and turn the whole panel down, it then pops off an the spool can be removed.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Dec 25, 2013, 08:56 AM »
Yea what Baitbucket said....Thats how I spooled mine....

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Dec 26, 2013, 07:57 PM »
OK, I just read the entire thread and I have a question...I want to reel with my left hand, rod in my right. Is this a LH or RH setup?

Offline woodyth

• IceShanty Rookie
  • IS there ICE YET!
« Reply #68 on: Dec 26, 2013, 07:58 PM »
LH That is how mine is set up and it works great!
Woody
Firemen do it best!
IX-XI-MMI NEVER FORGET!!!

PS3: WOODYTH:bang:

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Dec 26, 2013, 08:00 PM »
LH That is how mine is set up and it works great!
Woody

Thank you.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #70 on: Dec 26, 2013, 08:11 PM »
OK, I just read the entire thread and I have a question...I want to reel with my left hand, rod in my right. Is this a LH or RH setup?
You need to order it the way you want it.  I ordered left hand reels.  i.e. reel with my left hand.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Dec 26, 2013, 08:17 PM »
You need to order it the way you want it.  I ordered left hand reels.  i.e. reel with my left hand.

Thank you as well. Now I have to decide how many....I'm thinking four. Two for panfish, two for walter. Decisions, decisions..... :icefish:

Offline ddlpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 02, 2014, 09:17 PM »
If you fish strictly in a nice heated shack, it's a great reel.  One you get a little ice one the eyelets, and on the line, the reel is a POS.  3 bird nests yesterday while fishing out in the cold.  Mainly due to me jerking the rod up, trying to free line.  As soon as the line gets free all hell breaks loose.  Guess it's just not a good fit for my style. Looking at jigs though the camera, they seem to spin just as much as my spin casts.  Line retrieve is great, and it looks cool.  For $120 though, it's going back to the store.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #73 on: Jan 03, 2014, 05:59 AM »
If you fish strictly in a nice heated shack, it's a great reel.  One you get a little ice one the eyelets, and on the line, the reel is a POS.  3 bird nests yesterday while fishing out in the cold.  Mainly due to me jerking the rod up, trying to free line.  As soon as the line gets free all hell breaks loose.  Guess it's just not a good fit for my style. Looking at jigs though the camera, they seem to spin just as much as my spin casts.  Line retrieve is great, and it looks cool.  For $120 though, it's going back to the store.
I will agree with you - don't think it is a good choice for out in the open, on cold (freezing) days.  I like it warm in my shelter when I'm fishing though.  ;)  First time out with my teardrop, I almost resigned myself to giving it away.  Got a big tangle mess, put it down and picked up another rod with a 6061 on it.  I have learned to use the teardrop though and I love it's function and feel.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #74 on: Jan 03, 2014, 06:08 AM »
I have had zero issues with mine and I had it earlier this week with temps dipping negative with the windchill.

If your using a braid or mono on an ice reel your asking for trouble. Braid and mono absorb water, once reeled in it all freezes solid.

This is true for any reel you use on the ice. Some deal with it better because you can just tug the line free.

I spooled my teardrop with fluoro and have had no issues with line freeze

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #75 on: Jan 03, 2014, 07:53 AM »
I have had zero issues with mine and I had it earlier this week with temps dipping negative with the windchill.

If your using a braid or mono on an ice reel your asking for trouble. Braid and mono absorb water, once reeled in it all freezes solid.

This is true for any reel you use on the ice. Some deal with it better because you can just tug the line free.

I spooled my teardrop with fluoro and have had no issues with line freeze
Huh, never heard that one - or I just never paid any attention to it.  So does the floro shed the water or does it just not "stick" to the ice?  Has to be wet when you reel it in?
I will be giving it a try.  Tough to give up the small diameter super braids though.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #76 on: Jan 03, 2014, 08:19 AM »
Its the water absorption that is the issue with braids and mono. Mono isnt as bad. But Fluoro is the only line i know for that doesn't absorb any water.

I have heard Nanofil doesnt absorb water either and allows you to keep that thinner line to # test ratio like braid,  but is much less abrasion resistant. Running over the ice in a hole or its edges didnt seem like a good formula for the Nanofil so i didnt try it (expensive test too)

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Jan 03, 2014, 01:17 PM »
I took the braid off my laker rod for this reason.  I use a revo stx and the line would freeze solid outside, didn't work at all, went back to Fluorocarbon.  The lakers aren't real deep up here anyways, so braid was pointless.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #78 on: Jan 03, 2014, 04:23 PM »
Anyone with one do a complete teardown, degrease, and relube? Was there any difference?

I usually do this with every real, but for $120 im assuming they knew what they were doing.

Offline rabcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #79 on: Jan 14, 2014, 03:40 PM »
Well I just got one today and have no idea what the max dial does on the right side of the reel is for and the small adjuster nob does under the drag on the right side. I bought the left hand model. Would be nice if they would of sent some kind of instructions !!!  I asume that one of them is for the backlash.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #80 on: Jan 14, 2014, 03:45 PM »
Use the one on the right to adjust for you jig weight. I havent messed with the one on the left and have had no issues. But that the spool tension which would help reduce backlash when your jig hits bottom.
Heres a 5lb'er i got on 6# line

Offline rabcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #81 on: Jan 14, 2014, 03:53 PM »
Ok, Thanks for the info !!

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Jan 14, 2014, 05:04 PM »
I've used my teardrop twice now; paired w/ 28" TB Perch Sweetheart.  A few observations-- #1 feature is controlled line drop; watching  jig on graph slowly fall to waiting fish instead of feathering line w/ spinning is a plus.

Rod does torque to handle side due to misbalance, but this is really no issue. The double foam handle lends a bit of confidence when cranking in a larger fish; tho' I miss the drag singing as with spinning reels. 8 out of 10...

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/819/zquv.jpg

Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #83 on: Jan 14, 2014, 05:15 PM »
I agree, not being able to hear the drag is a..drag? lol

Offline chsapeak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Jan 18, 2014, 05:48 AM »
I've had mine out 3 times now and have backlashed 2 out of the 3. When a backlash occurs on this real you'd better have a backup or extra line cause they're nasty ones. I've used baitcasters my entire life and we thumb the spool to prevent backlashes, you cannot do that with this reel. Don't even consider one if your not using a flasher because if your jig hits bottom your done. I've tighten the freespool down to slow the drop and this seams to help a lot, but then it's hard to "chase" a fish back down towards the bottom and like mentioned just don't lift the tip of your rod while the lure is decending. I got to say though when dialed in and the right conditions this reel is sweet, I haven't given up on mine yet and plan on giving it a workout this weekend. There is definitely a learning curve with this reel.   

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Jan 18, 2014, 11:05 AM »
I've had mine out 3 times now and have backlashed 2 out of the 3. When a backlash occurs on this real you'd better have a backup or extra line cause they're nasty ones.

Wow-- I've had no backlashes yet. Not one in 3 trips. I have magnetic backlash dial set halfway.

I'm amazed that line lay on spool looks even without level wind...

Offline biggamefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Jan 18, 2014, 03:26 PM »
I've used my teardrop twice now; paired w/TB Perch Sweetheart.  A few observations-- #1 feature is controlled line drop; watching  jig on graph slowly fall to waiting fish instead of feathering line w/ spinning is a plus.

Rod does torque to handle side due to misbalance, but this is really no issue. The double foam handle lends a bit of confidence when cranking in a larger fish; tho' I miss the drag singing as with spinning reels. 8 out of 10...

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/819/zquv.jpg

The reel is made/intended to be fished in the "pencil" grip, not fished as a traditional spinning reel would be. In the "pencil" grip the reel sits in the palm of your hand and feels totally in balance as it's meant to be.  I have two Teardrops in my assortment and they are absolutely awesome, 10 of 10 for me.
>}}}}}}''> FISH PANIC AT THE MERE SIGHT OF ME AND MY G3  >}}}}}}''>

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Jan 18, 2014, 10:32 PM »
The reel is made/intended to be fished in the "pencil" grip, not fished as a traditional spinning reel would be.

I hold the reel both ways; the stem allows for traditional grip with gloves. I use a hali spoon mostly with this rig; don't use a pencil grip jigging spoons...

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #88 on: Jan 19, 2014, 03:20 AM »
I hold the reel both ways; the stem allows for traditional grip with gloves. I use a hali spoon mostly with this rig; don't use a pencil grip jigging spoons...
I do both "grips" as well.  Just depends on what I feel like at the time.  Most often do the drop with a pencil-grip and start jigging; then switch over to a traditional grip at some point.  The "imbalance" if you want to call it that, does not bother me at all.  Great reel.  I like them and the 6061s I have about equally.  @)

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Jan 22, 2014, 02:03 PM »
Had mine out in 19 degrees jigging with braid. Froze up quick, rendering reel useless. Might spool up with fluoro or copolymer now. Still love the reel...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.