Author Topic: 13Fishing Teardrop  (Read 25209 times)

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Re: 13Fishing Teardrop
« Reply #30 on: Oct 08, 2013, 06:24 PM »
Havent tried the Teardrop yet but my 6061's will drop a 3-4mm Fiska as fast or faster than any of my spinning reels.....

I was wondering just that, thanks.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Oct 13, 2013, 07:22 PM »
The 6061 has a free spool button? How deep of water are you using it in ? Thinking the teardrop might be the the better reel for deeper water. I am thinking of picking up the EC reel with the free spool button and a tear drop this year.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Oct 14, 2013, 05:55 PM »

;D ;D

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #33 on: Oct 14, 2013, 06:01 PM »
Nice  -I see you went with the LH retrieve.  Do you feel the drag function is reverse what it should be? 

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Oct 14, 2013, 06:06 PM »
The 6061 has a free spool button? How deep of water are you using it in ? Thinking the teardrop might be the the better reel for deeper water. I am thinking of picking up the EC reel with the free spool button and a tear drop this year.

As deep as 50'

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Oct 14, 2013, 06:41 PM »
Nice  -I see you went with the LH retrieve.  Do you feel the drag function is reverse what it should be?

The reel itself feels great, but all the functions feel a little alien to me, drag included, it's going to take a little getting used to.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #36 on: Oct 14, 2013, 07:06 PM »

The reel itself feels great, but all the functions feel a little alien to me, drag included, it's going to take a little getting used to.
"Exactly".  It won't take long.  A few nice Walleye will do the trick  ;D

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Oct 14, 2013, 07:36 PM »
I rigged mine up and went jigging with it over the side of the boat yesterday. I didn't catch anything of any size but it did handle nice. I was using a small Lindy frostee spoon and it didn't drop that fast. I adjusted the brake till it dang near fell off and it didn't really help. It fell but not as fast as you would expect. I put on a heavier tungsten jig and it fell a little better but not by much. I was expecting to have to adjust this reel every time I put on a different jig- depending on the weight. That is not the case for this reel. The brake settings in my experience are what you would expect on a cheap baitcaster. They should be much better for one of the most expensive ice reels on the market. The drag didn't seem to feel that smooth to me either. I did put it along a measuring tape and it cranked 19" a turn, and the reel does feel really nice when jigging. It pistol grips perfect! I will be putting new lube on it before I take it out again though for sure. Overall, I look forward to rippin' lips off of the perch with it this season!

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Nov 01, 2013, 01:58 PM »
Just ordered the LH Teardrop-- been wanting to add a straight line reel to my arsenal. Hope it handles small jigs as well...
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Nov 01, 2013, 03:23 PM »
I love the straight line concept. but at that price ill be buying a different design. probly an eagle claw...
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
« Reply #40 on: Nov 02, 2013, 12:45 PM »
just dropped the $$ for a left hand retrieve.  Free shipping from Fish USA.  Planning on using this for straight line deep water applications.  Picked up a 13 wicked rod to match it with.

Can't wait to have it in hand.

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Nov 12, 2013, 08:58 PM »
I hate reeling with my right hand.i think I looks great! But I didn't see where it's ambidexderous?

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Nov 12, 2013, 09:09 PM »
They sell right and left retrieve models.

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Nov 13, 2013, 06:31 AM »
They sell right and left retrieve models.

Thanks I didn't see that.

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Nov 21, 2013, 06:20 PM »
I love the straight line concept. but at that price ill be buying a different design. probly an eagle claw...
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      I picked up one of the Eagle Claw's at Bass Pro a few weeks ago and they are real nice.  You wouldn't expect great quality out of eagle claw but in my opinion they are built very well.  The bearings are nice and the spool is aluminum.  It's really a great reel full of features.  I'm not one to stray from expensive ice fishing gear but I'm still up in the air after hearing Philly's posts.  Going to do some more research on them I guess.  I bought one of their wicked combos and that is a great bargain for 50 bucks given the quality of the reel.  My experience has taught me that cheap rods and reels are not worth buying because you end up having to replace them really quick.  The 13 fishing whiteout and wicked combo is probably one of the better combos I've seen.
This sport takes a certain amount of character in a man that we all should respect and take pride in.

Offline C W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Nov 21, 2013, 06:36 PM »
I had the privilege to get one of these a while ago and from the standpoint of a year round fisherman this reel is the ticket. 95% of our summer fishing is done with baitcasters and this reel quite frankly just feels right in the hand of someone who spends 4 days a week all summer long on soft water. Should be an easy transition from soft to hard water.

CW

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Nov 21, 2013, 10:50 PM »
I don't think I like mine.  It's tough with gloves.  I like to keep an eye on the spool too.  I'm going to keep trying it, but the last three outings, I quickly put it away and got out a spinning reel... Totally could be a comfort issue.. The reel does perform awesome.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Dec 20, 2013, 07:57 AM »
Anymore updates on these reels as people are getting out on the ice to use them?

One of the bigger complaints I have heard is not having the ability to thumb the spool when dropping a jig.
Making you rely strictly on setting the magnet to the jig so you dont get backlash. This would need to be done every time you change to a different jig.

I have one coming in, and will test it myself and report back.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #48 on: Dec 20, 2013, 03:04 PM »
Thanks for the PMs and "prods" Baitbucket.  I was able to do as you indicated and thumb the spool as I palmed the reel.  It works well, for me.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Dec 22, 2013, 07:24 AM »
I dont have mine in yet. But either that reel is small or u got monster hands lol.
Looks tiny in your hand in the pic
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline huntny30

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • U.S. Navy Senior Chief Retired
« Reply #50 on: Dec 22, 2013, 07:29 AM »
I checked one out yesterday, they look pretty sweet, I look forward to hearing more reviews...I'm sticking with my 6061's for now...I really enjoyed fishing with them last year

“Never apologize mister, it’s a sign of weakness.”  John Wayne

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
« Reply #51 on: Dec 22, 2013, 07:38 AM »
Used mine for the first time yesterday.  Once i crappiegot it dialed in, i was dropping 1/64 jigs fairly easy. i was jigging crappies in 35 ft of water with no issues.  did't get into any beasts to test the drag, but i was pleased wit the reel

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #52 on: Dec 22, 2013, 09:44 AM »
I dont have mine in yet. But either that reel is small or u got monster hands lol.
Looks tiny in your hand in the pic
Both statements apply  ;D

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 22, 2013, 09:56 AM »
Thanks for the PMs and "prods" Baitbucket.  I was able to do as you indicated and thumb the spool as I palmed the reel.  It works well, for me.

(Image removed from quote.)
  Which rod and length did you put the teardrop on?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #54 on: Dec 22, 2013, 09:59 AM »
  Which rod and length did you put the teardrop on?
Whiteout 29.5"Medium.  Did two of them for Walleye jigging.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Dec 22, 2013, 11:28 AM »
I put mine on a 30" DH Perch Pounder perfectly balanced set up, excited to get out and get some eyes with it...

Offline woodyth

• IceShanty Rookie
  • IS there ICE YET!
« Reply #56 on: Dec 24, 2013, 01:57 PM »
Ok so this is my first inline reel, never used a baitcaster either, so learning experience. Two things. First, how do put line on this reel? I've never used anything but a spinning reel. Secondly, is this one I can attach with electrical tape? I got a nice st croix premier rod to put it on but all my other rods have had the little plastic reel holders.
Thanks for the advice!
Woody
Firemen do it best!
IX-XI-MMI NEVER FORGET!!!

PS3: WOODYTH:bang:

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 24, 2013, 02:28 PM »
Take the spool out to tie your line onto the spool, put spool back in and reel in the new line....Yes you can use whatver you prefer to attach to your rod, I used Cold Snap rings....

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CAPTAIN OF THE F.O.P. ICE FISHING TEAM.
« Reply #58 on: Dec 24, 2013, 02:33 PM »
Cold snap reel rings.. no damage to rod and the are nice and tight!!!!!
DONALD T WITMER III                                 Pro staff for Catch em all custom jigs, ACE custom rods, Contraband baits, Bonehead Tackle, Rhyno custom jigs,  And Expedition outdoors!

Offline woodyth

• IceShanty Rookie
  • IS there ICE YET!
« Reply #59 on: Dec 24, 2013, 02:40 PM »
but but but I want to go fishing tonight!  :icefish:

lol I just ordered me a set! Thanks Im just going to use tape till they get here...no harm in that right?

Woody!
Firemen do it best!
IX-XI-MMI NEVER FORGET!!!

PS3: WOODYTH:bang:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.