The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: glendo fatality  (Read 5900 times)

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
Re: glendo fatality
« Reply #30 on: Feb 07, 2008, 03:02 PM »
 My Thoughts and Prayers to his family & friends also.. It's very sad.

Maybe some of you folks who live in the area can do a "grass roots" project & get some "DANGER _THIN ICE" Signs posted in these areas , to help others who aren't familiar with the areas where there is Dangerous ice. Maybe your Local Law Enforcement could help on this. Just one sign could save a life...

Just  a thought...

Still, My condolences to the families & friends.
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline IcedBush13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is the sport of drowning worms
« Reply #31 on: Feb 07, 2008, 03:53 PM »
My thoughts and prayer's go out to his family. Have a safe and fun time out there everyone.
AJ

Offline wyiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Flag Up!!
« Reply #32 on: Feb 07, 2008, 05:10 PM »
My condolence to family and friends, a reminder we must  all consider the dangers of our favorite sport, and I think we can use our favorite site to help warn others of thin  spots and ice conditions.  Mike, I'll be thinking about you when I land my next walleye. PEACE BROTHER
wishin I was ice fishin

Offline ggg7lazy77

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 07, 2008, 06:50 PM »
My Thoughts and Prayers to his family & friends also.. It's very sad.

Maybe some of you folks who live in the area can do a "grass roots" project & get some "DANGER _THIN ICE" Signs posted in these areas , to help others who aren't familiar with the areas where there is Dangerous ice. Maybe your Local Law Enforcement could help on this. Just one sign could save a life...

Just  a thought...

Still, My condolences to the families & friends.

Terrible, terrible news. Thoughts and prayers to families and friends.

A group from here (Colorado), were out in that same area 2 weeks ago and said someone else fell in on that Saturday. Luckily his buddies were able to pull him out, but it sounds like a very hazardous area. Please use care and common sense out there guys. This is very sad news.

Offline sledder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 07, 2008, 06:52 PM »
 Never have understood the attraction to driving heavy equipment over ice of unknown thickness and strength. Then acting all supprised when a death occurs.

Lake desmet is a prime example of ice fatalities. I've dived in desmet on a number of occasions. There's several pick ups one of which was brand new at the time of sinking with a little over 500 miles on the odometer.Not to mention a couple dozen cars and snowmobiles.Back in the the late 80's the lake even took three lives in one wreck.

You'll never see a change in behavior,because it always happens to the other guy.  

Offline WYLINGIT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 'cause they're tasty!
« Reply #36 on: Feb 07, 2008, 09:09 PM »
Thanks sledder for your condolenses. Im sure the family will thoroughly appreciate your comments. Thank you everyone else for everything your willing to do.  The funeral is Monday February 11th at 1:30pm St. Pauls Lutheran Church in Cheyenne. I was not at the lake and cannot tell the story other than second hand. -My prayers and thoughts reining strong for --B&E-- family and friends.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #37 on: Feb 07, 2008, 09:24 PM »
While Sledder's comments may not be condolences, he does present a valid point, maybe Sledder would consider re-locating his post to my "Ice Safety" thread. I'm sure a healthy dialogue could and would be opened there, rather than here where we were posting only our best wishes and prayers for the family.  Thanks WYLINGIT for the information on the arrangements. Sorry for your loss, my friend. Don
                                                                                          LT

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #38 on: Feb 07, 2008, 09:43 PM »
God Speed to the Happy Hardwater Lakes my fellow fisherman.

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline WYLINGIT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 'cause they're tasty!
« Reply #39 on: Feb 10, 2008, 02:06 AM »
Thanks  to everyone! weather your ice fishin or open water stiff lining it your thoughts and  prayers are accepted...  still  floating for Mike, let your buddys and everyone else know whats happening and to send some condolensenses. love and keep your line tight!_______)---********--=@

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 10, 2008, 04:15 PM »
My Thoughts and Prayers to his family & friends.

Ben

Offline fish4lunch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "A bad day fishing . . ."
« Reply #41 on: Feb 16, 2008, 08:13 PM »
Mike was my good friend and neighbor. We watched each others kids grow up.
Though I was not there that morning, I have talked at length to friends who were.
Mike was there helping Pat O'Grady (an up-and-coming spoon manufacturer from here) to set up a crew from In Fisherman to film an ice fishing trip for eyes on Glendo. Apparently some gear was left back in a truck and Mike, as always in a helping frame of mind, volunteered to go back and get it. In his haste, he cut a bee line to the Reno Cove parking area on his ATV and hit some thin ice near open water. They saw brake lights, ATV going sideways, and then he apparently tried to accellerate through it. Didn't work. His body was located and removed 1 1/2 hours later with the assistance of an under water camera provided by the In Fisherman crew.
Mike logged 1000's of miles on ATV's and was on the ice an equal amount of hours. He was no newbie. He just got caught in a bad situation while trying to help someone else, which was always his nature.
He will be missed beyond description.

Thanks all for your thoughts.  I will print out these posts and make sure his wife Becky, and daughter Erika gets them.
Lets be careful out there.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 16, 2008, 08:22 PM »
     Fish4lunch, I hope, for the sake of the grieving family, you discard the non-condolence posts which were critical of Mike's actions. From what was written of him, we who didn't know him wish we had. We view him simply as a fallen ice-comrade. Our collective Wyoming Ice Shanty best to the family, again, thank you,  :tipup:
                                                                           Don

(And we appreciate your explaining what he was doing and for whom.)

Offline fish4lunch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "A bad day fishing . . ."
« Reply #43 on: Feb 16, 2008, 08:30 PM »
Appropriate posts only.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 16, 2008, 08:33 PM »
 :angel Amen.

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #45 on: Feb 16, 2008, 09:04 PM »
My condolence goes out to the family.The man involved sounds like a great man,wish I could have wet a line with him.Thoughts and prayers from New York.
                                                          Luke.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.