Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Ice reports  (Read 3136 times)

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice reports
« on: Feb 10, 2006, 04:52 PM »
Anyone been on brushy in the last couple of days ?  Thinking of hitting it this weekend.
Any other ice reports would be great for all of us.

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
Re: Ice reports
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2006, 05:02 PM »
I think I'm gonna stop over tomorrow after work and drill a few holes @ Brushy to see how it is. I hear that Lake Cornelia has plenty of good ice.

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline Iceaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • let's try this spot...
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2006, 09:55 PM »
toothfish I am heading up there from Des Moines tommorow with my dad.  I hope there is good ice too ???  We'll be in a frabrill 3 man with a yellow honda 4 wheeler if there's enough ice.  If not, we'll leave the quad on the bank.  Never been there before.  Been studying the map for a week now and reading forums.  Sounds like the island is the hot spot on the south end?   I guess trial and error will tell.  Maybe see ya there....Stop and say hi if ya see us.  Hopefully we'll be the guys with a ton of crappies on the ice!   
Red screens......tight lines......

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2006, 07:49 AM »
Hey! I hope to see all you guys ON the ice ......that will mean the ice IS good. I'm sure it will be ;D
The plan is.... a BB tourny at Boxholm till 2 pm and then on to Brushy ;D
No one can miss my shack on it's sled. Some have said it looks like a bed..others say it looks like a trampoline :o
Once it's off the sled and opened up...it's a silver box with a door/window at both ends.  ;D
See ya on the ICE !!!

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline reelman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2006, 09:12 AM »
I might be heading there myself. Haven't been out for a while and starting to have withdrawels.

Offline Iceaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • let's try this spot...
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2006, 01:39 AM »
well toothfish didn't see ya there...  You where prob. on the south side where "I" wanted to go.  My dad wanted to follow the crowd (north boat ramp shack village).  just got home.  1:00am.  Got there around noon or so and fished all day and night.  Caught one 15" walley right off the bat in the first 30 min first spot we tried.  blue/pink/silver/glow jig with a waxy 22' at the end of a tree line. (6" of ice)   Spent the next 11 hours trying to catch a second ANYTHING!    My dad caught a gill about the size of a pack of smokes and that was it.  2 fish.  Saw one kid in a lawn chair with a 6' ultralight fishing with stink bait.....  I didn't say a word.   ::)  Anyway, I'm sure there's good fishing just couldn't find em'.  Man that walley really got us fired up!  Enough to spend the next 11 hours with slack lines. So many trees.  where do you start.  There was 1 shack on the sw boat ramp side in a tree line.  I typically fish on the down wind end of the lake.  they seem to move with the wind. ???  Maybe it's just me.  We should have been on the south end. :-\    

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2006, 07:46 AM »
No! You didn't miss anything on the south end . Got on the ice about 2:30 pm  ....1 small eye ..off at dark. Water is very stained..all that open water with wind last weekend.
Sunday  got on 11:30 am ..2 perch and 2 small gills. 6+ inch ice with very stained water .  I saw a few fisherman on the north end on Sunday...Do any good??

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Iceaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • let's try this spot...
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2006, 02:25 PM »
ya the water was stained on the north end too.  a guy at the boat ramp said where we where sitting was open water wensday.  we had 6".  someone hung bear bottles on the tree branches in the spot we fished... I just love cleaning up after people.   ::)
Looks like the ice we do have down south here will be gone mid week.  After that, COLD!   hopefull it will hang on enough to make 4" for at least a day...

Offline waterbug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2006, 01:13 PM »
There is good ice on Clear Lake on the east side of the island and on north shore by the the state dock at the Harborage. 10-11 inches.

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2006, 02:26 PM »
After this weekend ,the ice will be even thicker. How is "the bite" on Clear Lake lately ?
The bite on brushy has been ... If you move around you can get a fish here and there. If you sit in on place you will only catch the one or two "active" fish in the area. Water is very stained and the fish seem to be hang'n pretty close to home. Blue gills have pretty much shut their mouths. Other than that it's all good.  ;D  See ya on the ice.

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Iceaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • let's try this spot...
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2006, 03:47 PM »
I work in an office and people think I'm crazy when I dance around singing "it's cold out, it's cold out"!   I feel sorry for people that have never ice fished.  how do they sleep at night...  Sub-zero temps on the way!   finally!  I think I'll camp at hooper and watch the ice form.... ;D  Should be 4" by Sunday...Don't get me wrong I've enjoyed fishing the north lakes but the 2hr drive home with propane brain sucks :-\

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2006, 04:07 PM »
Now you will let us know how Hooper is treating you ..won't you??? Is there Red ear in there??

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline drewgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2006, 06:57 PM »
ya let us know about the ice at hooper, love that little gill factory. yeah its got redear, bigguns ! ;D
Hard charger !

Offline Iceaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • let's try this spot...
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2006, 06:58 PM »
toothfish, if you want to catch red ears, you have to go to aquabi.  there isn't much to talk about with the red ears in hooper.  it holds nice blue gill and crappie but not alot of red ears.  The ones it does have are nice ones though.  I usually catch red ears in aquabi in the summer during the spawn.  this year, the lakes are almost 3' low. it will be a whole new ball game.  My brother-in-law went to iraq last fall and we went to aquabi 3 days before he left.  we caught 80 red ears x2 released averaging 6-8" in 6 hours out of the boat.  what a way to leave for the war...  I will let you know how we do at hooper.  

Offline Bullhead King

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Diehard Chicago Bears Fan!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2006, 09:00 PM »
Where is Hooper and Aquabi located, as I am from up in North Central Iowa?

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2006, 07:51 AM »
They are south of Indianola..I have a good friend in Indianola that fishes open water but don't think he has ever Ice fished. Ice is becoming hard to find/keep that far south anymore. Good luck!!

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline wiz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2006, 06:32 AM »
 Hickery Grove lake in Story Co. had 4.5 in of ice Sat. Be careful around the edges, otherwise it was O.K. Slow bite though,some Crappie and Bluegills.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2006, 12:55 PM »
Looks like the cold is going to hang on....  Enough to be fishing into March at least..

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2006, 08:09 AM »
I hit 3 ponds in Greene county over the weekend. 2 had 5" of good ice and 1 had only 3" of poor ice. Fished the 5" ice ...fish were hitting!!

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Iceaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • let's try this spot...
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2006, 08:20 AM »
didn't get out this weekend.   Been sick all week.  My dad went to hooper Sunday and caught crappies in our spot.  He said not much ice 3-4" but good fishing before sun up and after dark.  I'm hoping to go after work. 

Offline johnl_2323

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2006, 08:30 AM »
Went to our 4AC farm pond in Jasper county and the ice was 4 - 4 1/4.  Stayed away from the bad looking sections of ice.  Bass were biting pretty good.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.