Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: 4 hrs on cornielia  (Read 1770 times)

Offline icejam

• IceShanty Rookie
4 hrs on cornielia
« on: Jan 22, 2006, 01:24 PM »
fished cornielia with a friend wed. the 18th  230 to 630 wed afternoon. fished the north end where their were two other icehouses, and a lot of old holes 15 foot of water. we were marking fish comming through in schools but nothing would bite!!! we tried every thing in our tacklebox.  our 4 hours on  HOT CORNIELIA sent us home with 2 four inch bluegill.   ??? ??? :o

Offline Iceaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • let's try this spot...
Re: 4 hrs on cornielia
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2006, 04:39 PM »
I hear that ice jam.   We where there yesterday too (frabrill and the yellow 4 wheeler).  First time up there and nothing to talk about.  didn't land one fish.  had a few bites and several on the vexlar but nothing.  we where set up between the 2 permanant shacks too.  about 15-16 feet of water also.  I only know fo one guy that caught 1 perch and that was it.  we where there from 2:00-9:00.  12" of ice though.  nice.  I am from Des Moines where everything around here is open. We are going to try silver next weekend.   ???
Red screens......tight lines......

Offline iowaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2006, 08:38 PM »
I didn't think Corneila was producing much. I have a buddy that lives in Clarion and keeps me informed on the bite. The bite has been slow all winter.

We drove by Silver Lake west of Aryshire on our way home from Waubay today. I would bet their was 75 houses out their something must be biting.

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2006, 10:35 AM »
ya cornelia died on me 2 weeks ago it was hot for awhile and now like most lakes its dead sea again.  first week of january was the best we got like 9 10 inch plus perch and a 13 inch crappie and a few dink eyes
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Offline original_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm out of beer... I'm out of beer...
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2006, 10:05 AM »
Hey c.r. rick I have read several of your messages saying that you have caught a good number of perch this winter - congrats goes out to you :bow:  Anyways, I have a question for you as this is my first year of ice fishing.  I have caught about 10 perch so far this winter.  I actually caught 3 of them yesterday right around sunset.  Anyways, here is my question or observation.  I have noticed that all of the perch I have caught were just full of eggs.  Is this a normal thing for perch and why would it seem that all that I have caught were females?  Has it been the same for you also?  Just wondering and thought an experience person as yourself might have some insight.  thanks and good luck with the fish!

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2006, 12:33 PM »
yes that is normal and mine have been too.  the perch like walleyes spawn right after ice out.  the reason for the bigger perch being full of eggs is the females are the only ones that really get big like large mouth bass.  most female fish are usally larger than the males.  most male perch will only reach 10 inches at the biggest and females can get like 18 to 20 inches further north like mn or canada.  hope that helps and good fishing
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Offline wiz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2006, 07:52 AM »
 still slow at cornielia, all small stuff coming through with few bites. Mostly pearch and 5" walleyes, in about 16fow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.