Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: walleye in unknown waters  (Read 2650 times)

Offline icyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
walleye in unknown waters
« on: Dec 18, 2013, 08:29 PM »
so I've recently found out that I have permission, heck, I've been asked to fish somebody's gravel pit that's been stocked for walleye and left untouched for 15-20 years, I know very little about it bottom contour wise, there's one drop-off I know of, I'm tryin to decide between spendin' the one afternoon I'll have available fishin it or fishin a pond I know just a tad more about that has decent bluegill in it, I'd rather jump on the possibility of walleye, as I've been told they're fairly large in there, can anybody give me some tips for findin em and hookin one or two?

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
Re: walleye in unknown waters
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2013, 08:34 PM »
Drill, drill, drill.    Then rip darters or buck shot spoons in a m and evening , I would take chance on walleye over gills any day of the week.
I have a good bad habit of drilling lots and lots of hole - good is its easy to figure out contour and find cover however if not careful it's easy to step in a hole.  Need help   ? I have time , flasher , and camera.  Ha ! Good luck

Offline icyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2013, 09:51 PM »
thanks for the quick comment, I've been further informed that there may be a few crappie in there as well, as far as walleye go, I've never had much luck catchin em thru the ice, ever have any luck with minnows?

Offline jkujawa81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2013, 10:03 PM »
Rattle spoons with half minnows and bobbers I'm on board w hurting walleys over gills and if it doesng get fished just try jiggin for crappies and I bet you can hook a eye or two... if it has not been fished for that long its either gonna be a huge success or a bust but definitely worh the time to check it out... wish I could come across something like that

Offline harpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2013, 10:03 PM »
Sounds like you could use a hand...*wink* *wink*

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2013, 10:10 PM »
Clone.   Definitely minnows will be great option , dead stick one rod.    Then spoon or darter non second stick ,and if no bites on artificial add minnow head to treble.   Again good luck.  Post how you do.   

Offline walleyewarrior50595

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2013, 10:19 PM »
If it was stocked with eyes 15-20 yrs ago. Id say there arent any left as they wont reproduce in a pit...probably died of old age

Offline hawkfan24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2013, 11:14 PM »
I agree with what has been posted as well.  Drill lots of holes and try to find depth changes, contours and your best bet could be trying to find the deepest hole (unless it is REALLY deep!).  I would also think about putting out a tip up or two, if you have any, to help you cover some area and put the biggest minnow you have on the tip up or chubs, if you can get any.

Offline jkujawa81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2013, 08:14 AM »
I wouldnt say they won't reproduce.. I have access to to a farm pond that's only max 12 ft deep and not a lot of contour but yhey reploduce in there so I would fish it just to try it.. not the best reproduction place but it could happen

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2013, 08:19 AM »
Like already said, its either going to be a great day or a bust with the walleye. At least you will have crappie to fall back on.

I've only seen one successful farm pond that has held walleye. If they survived and were able to spawn they should be in there. I'm not positive, but I doubt a walleye could live to be 20 so if they didn't spawn you are SOL.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2013, 09:02 AM »
I would kill to have the opportunity that you do, just drill until you run out of gas. I've fished some farm ponds that were stocked with walleyes, it really matters if there is enough food for them in the pond, it can work if you really pay attention to your stock. Have a great time, even if you don't catch any walleyes those crappies should be slabzilla's by now.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2013, 12:36 PM »
Should probably report said pond to biologists at the state for research. .. they seldom even display natural reproduction in rivers here let alone a pond with no current ::)

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2013, 03:12 PM »
Let us know. I'm intrigued.  :)

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2013, 12:33 PM »
Should probably report said pond to biologists at the state for research. .. they seldom even display natural reproduction in rivers here let alone a pond with no current ::)

ummm...WRONG!!!

just not enough to sustain a fishable quantity for angler demand... ask any REAL biologist - - - this is the answer you'll get.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2013, 01:01 PM »
Fish live longer than 20 years, ask the biologists from Ontario/Minnesota that have studied this. Good ole' Gord Pyzer would set you straight.   ;D

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2013, 03:17 PM »
But do walleye? I know the average lifespan for some species is over 50 years but I didn't think walleye was one of them.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2013, 03:20 PM »
Fish live longer than 20 years, ask the biologists from Ontario/Minnesota that have studied this. Good ole' Gord Pyzer would set you straight.   ;D

Looks like the average lifespan for Canadian walleye is 10-15 years, southern states (iowa) average is 10 years, maximum is 15. Walleye living over 15 years is very rare.

29 years was the maximum ever recorded for walleye.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2013, 06:01 PM »
I don't know how old they get but I do know if theirs a boy fish and a girl fish theirs always the chance for baby fishes.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 20, 2013, 06:18 PM »
"29 years was the maximum ever recorded for walleye"

Well there ya go, so they can still be alive.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2013, 11:08 PM »

ummm...WRONG!!!

just not enough to sustain a fishable quantity for angler demand... ask any REAL biologist - - - this is the answer you'll get.

K briggs woods bassrat. Got two buddies that have studied fisheries biology and know multiple older more seasoned vets of the field that would argue your claim... but compare apples to oranges like others are doing (canada to poopy fertilizer runoff ridden waters of ia) and of course you'll think im wrong. Just stating my opinion chad. But to the OP good luck . If you get any ill gladly admit that im wrong.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 21, 2013, 12:48 AM »
My 2 cents....I fish gravel pits near home that contain some walleye that had to have been thrown in at least 10 years ago.  And I occasionally catch a 7-8 incher, which is proof that they must be doing some successfull spawning in there.  The pits probably top out at 20 to 30 feet depths.

Offline Trump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 21, 2013, 01:15 PM »
Does it make a difference if there's a spring in the body of water and my guess would be if the bottom isn't too deep with silt they would spawn that's what the current does anyways isn't it keep the silt off the eggs just my thought anyway and I'd say take some friends and get as many lines in as possible jiggin and tip ups and paper and pen to make your own depth chart and don't get frustrated might take a while to find a pattern and get results have fun and good luck

Offline fishunlimited(fu)

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2013, 02:16 PM »

ummm...WRONG!!!

the arms on your computer chair are getting sweaty.. calm down

Offline harpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2013, 05:18 PM »
What's the update OP?  I think we're all intrigued as to what you caught.

Offline icyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2013, 06:10 PM »
I haven't gotten out there yet!  I won't be there til the 27th.  I started this thread early cuz it seemed like a lotta people were pullin fish out holes and not checkin the site, figured I'd get a better response with more time  ;D

Offline tsmith17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2013, 07:50 PM »
I would much rather go for the chance to get some walleyes and explore some new hardwater.  Sounds like a lot of fun.  Keep us posted and good luck!

Offline harpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 01, 2014, 09:50 PM »
I haven't gotten out there yet!  I won't be there til the 27th.  I started this thread early cuz it seemed like a lotta people were pullin fish out holes and not checkin the site, figured I'd get a better response with more time  ;D

Any updates?

Offline icyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 02, 2014, 12:03 PM »
sadly no, too much came up on the day of and I wasn't about to argue with that giant family that I had more ice to fish  :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.