Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: open water on brushy  (Read 2711 times)

Offline icejam

• IceShanty Rookie
open water on brushy
« on: Jan 13, 2006, 08:04 PM »
open water from the beach across to the east side . i have not seen the lake all week dont know what the warm weather and wind did  thinking of going out tonight

smokercraft

Re: open water on brushy
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2006, 07:38 PM »
:tipup: Fished north end today good ice action was slow fished from 6:30 am till 10:30 two small gills. The best of my knowledge there is still open water be carefull...

Offline fishin_firemen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2006, 09:10 PM »
fished brushy today, no action by west boat ramp, moved to south ramp and got few bites, nothing of size.
still open water by beach, there was even someone out in a canoe fishing in it!
Support your local Fire Dept.  You might need 'em someday!!

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2006, 01:41 PM »
Same here ..small gills and one 12" bass on brushy. But ice is still good!!

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Bullhead King

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Diehard Chicago Bears Fan!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2006, 09:51 PM »
My dad and a couple of his buddies went out Sunday and today and the did real well for the gills.  North side by the trees of course.  Plus the ice was good.  They had to work for the fish and caught quite a few.

They are confused as to why the reports are so poor and the ice condition reports are saying to stay away.  I told him that I read somewhere on another site or 2 that the locals are saying this to keep people away from the lake so they aren't too crowded and have the lake to themselves. ::)

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2006, 07:47 AM »
Ignore "those" reports! As long as there are trees in brushy ;) there are some fish to be caught. I feel that if you find a tree that hasn't been "fished hard" you can get some gills. At times this lake is hot and slower at other times. I counted 24 cars/trucks on the north end Sunday but have heard of 65 there at one time. There is plenty of fish for everyone ;)

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2006, 03:29 PM »
i agree with tooth theres plenty of lake there to most lakes have there hot spots but the fish will bite in others too.
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Offline drewgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2006, 07:17 PM »
I'm going up tomorrow if any one wants to team up and scout the rock piles and bridges. I marked them on my gps.  we'll see if i t pays off. its no big secret the map is on dnr web site. be at the North ramp around 10 give or take an hour. plan to fish till dark and if it's good who knows. hope the wind is not to gusty makes it mighty hard to set up. last sat i had something big on right at dusk using a large minnow. If you were there you probably heard me crying. lost it in the trees.
Hard charger !

NORSHKI

« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2006, 03:48 PM »
Happy B-DAY YOU OLD Ice JAMMER, wondering if you have been putting any fish on the ice? We are getting ready for the big Lehigh fish tournament on the 11th. Hope the ice will be good for everyone. Let us now how the walleye are bitting.  :'(

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2006, 03:56 PM »
I drove by Brushy yesterday, it will be surprising if the tourny isnt cancelled.

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2006, 05:37 PM »
I was at Brushy this morning. Talked to a couple of fisherman on the south boat ramp that were going out on the ice. They said it was 4-7" in most places but you had to be careful where you walked in some spots. I would have to agree with Nick that I would be suprised if the could have the tourney. At the 3 boat ramps I went to, you needed to get cross a few feet of open water to get to the ice. I decided it was unsafe for me to go out.

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2006, 08:29 AM »
I was on Brushy Sat. afternoon and Sun. morning. The ice was fine...just use your head. I see some are "test" drilling as they come on ..Good practice if there is any question in ice quality!!! With these night time temps in the 20s coming this week ,I think the ice will be fine..but again "use your head"!!! I will not be fishing this coming weekend because I will be out of town. :'(

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2006, 10:32 AM »
Toothfish, since I'm a newbie at ice fishing, the sight of any open water makes me nervous :unsure: How did you guys do?

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2006, 12:54 PM »
Hey! Did OK! Some nice gills and one perch. Couple small eyes!

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2006, 03:54 PM »
I walked down to the creek below the spillway and tossed out some spinnerbaits and a few mister twisters. Didn't find any takers but it was worth the walk down, it was very peaceful and relaxing.

Offline livonbrushy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2006, 06:10 PM »
drove down buy the lake today @2:30 open at all the boat ramps from the sun warming up the concrete if you want to get on you still can from the side of the ramps but be careful i'm not trusting the ice so i'm breakin out the river poles and heading south sayorville red rock time to pound on some eyes good luck to all i will get the number from work on the tourney and post it tommorrow so everyone can call to see if they are going to have it   

Offline reelman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2006, 08:28 PM »
I got a flier in the mail today for the tourney. The info number is 515-359-2396. I hope the coming cool down will do some good. I've been looking forward to it. Robbie

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.