Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 819539 times)

Offline Allen1203

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Hunter!
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled!
« Reply #900 on: Jan 09, 2014, 02:07 PM »
Well I'll be Damned!!! A propane propulsion system on a smitty sled! Must be a first!  :P

That's funny right there lmao  :roflmao: :thumbsup: :roflmao:
Levi

Offline Joe Wayne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #901 on: Jan 09, 2014, 05:58 PM »
I sit right there on the bucket and ZOOOOOMMMMM!
Joe Wayne | Ankeny, IA

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
« Reply #902 on: Jan 09, 2014, 06:43 PM »
Well I'll be Damned!!! A propane propulsion system on a smitty sled! Must be a first!  :P

I second that propulsion...
It is what it is....

Offline gooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • stay warm, safe and tight lines
« Reply #903 on: Jan 09, 2014, 07:19 PM »
Here is my $15 sled

Tight lines and big fish

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #904 on: Jan 10, 2014, 10:36 AM »
Great job Gooner....looks awesome! Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline diddly4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #905 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:08 PM »
Ok, I built my sled a couple weeks ago.  Used 2x6s, 3/8x4" carriage bolts (just fit snuggly into the wood no washers/nuts securing them), downhill skis acquired from Craigslist, 16' rope, bungie cords, eye bolts and PVC to make a rack.  Got the idea for the rack from page 4 of this thread where a user with the same shanty as me, Clam 5600.  Fits snuggly over the shanty and is secured with bungie cords.  Used it last week in Northern Illinois on the Chain O Lakes.  There was 4" of snow on the ground when we got there and mother nature added 4" more and the sled road on top the whole way, pulled like a dream. Now if it can only help me catch fish!

Sled broke down into parts for transport

Sled put together

Shanty (Clam 5600) on top

PVC pipe storage added

All loaded up and a friend to pull it!

Offline gooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #906 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:38 PM »
Thanks smitty
Tight lines and big fish

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #907 on: Jan 11, 2014, 11:52 PM »
:roflmao: Zero to 60 in 5 seconds!
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #908 on: Jan 12, 2014, 07:27 AM »
Ok, I built my sled a couple weeks ago.  Used 2x6s, 3/8x4" carriage bolts (just fit snuggly into the wood no washers/nuts securing them), downhill skis acquired from Craigslist, 16' rope, bungie cords, eye bolts and PVC to make a rack.  Got the idea for the rack from page 4 of this thread where a user with the same shanty as me, Clam 5600.  Fits snuggly over the shanty and is secured with bungie cords.  Used it last week in Northern Illinois on the Chain O Lakes.  There was 4" of snow on the ground when we got there and mother nature added 4" more and the sled road on top the whole way, pulled like a dream. Now if it can only help me catch fish!

(Image removed from quote.)
Sled broke down into parts for transport

Sled put together

Shanty (Clam 5600) on top

PVC pipe storage added

All loaded up and a friend to pull it!

Looks great Diddly!! Thanks for sharing. Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline sincityrednek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #909 on: Jan 12, 2014, 08:02 AM »
Getting ready to make my second smitty sled and have the question of how much harder is it to pull one made with snowboards instead? I have a matching pair of snowboards and want to try them for better floatation in the deep powder. Any suggestions?
I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #910 on: Jan 12, 2014, 08:25 AM »
I guess it would depend on the curve at the tip of the boards. There has to have a pretty good curve or they would dig in.
<===Lefty===

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #911 on: Jan 12, 2014, 08:52 AM »
The wider the surface, the harder the pull. Years a go I used water skis, pulled much harder than downhill or cross country skis.

Offline IceFishingNate

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Otter XT650 Cabin. Vexilar FL-18. Jiffy
« Reply #912 on: Jan 12, 2014, 09:45 AM »
I would agree. Narrower skis = less resistance which makes easier pulling

Offline bmxrider11976

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #913 on: Jan 12, 2014, 01:18 PM »
Anyone mount skis directly to their sled? I just realized I wore a hole through the bottom of my jet sled after running it on some pavement after a hike to a lake. I like the idea of the smitty sled, but dont like the idea of the extra bulk of risers/cross members
USE A BOBBER!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #914 on: Jan 12, 2014, 01:26 PM »
I would agree. Narrower skis = less resistance which makes easier pulling
The wider the surface, the harder the pull. Years a go I used water skis, pulled much harder than downhill or cross country skis.

I totally agree with these 2 guys. Smitty

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #915 on: Jan 12, 2014, 02:06 PM »
Anyone mount skis directly to their sled?

I am sure you could. I would consider using something on the inside of the sled to screw to. Like either fabricate a plywood bottom in the bottom of your sled or just some 2-3" strips. That way you will have some added support so that the skis won't rip off the bottom. Maybe also adding some water proof construction adhesive between the skis and tub as well.
Just my thoughts...
It is what it is....

Offline bmxrider11976

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #916 on: Jan 12, 2014, 02:32 PM »
I am sure you could. I would consider using something on the inside of the sled to screw to. Like either fabricate a plywood bottom in the bottom of your sled or just some 2-3" strips. That way you will have some added support so that the skis won't rip off the bottom. Maybe also adding some water proof construction adhesive between the skis and tub as well.
Just my thoughts...

Yeah I was thinking about putting a couple of 3/4 by 2 inch pieces of wood along the inside and screw that to the skis. Or maybe a piece of ply on the bottom of the sled. I'm just looking to protect the bottom of my sled, and those hyfax kits are too expensive and I have some skis I could use.
USE A BOBBER!

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #917 on: Jan 12, 2014, 03:20 PM »
Yeah I was thinking about putting a couple of 3/4 by 2 inch pieces of wood along the inside and screw that to the skis. Or maybe a piece of ply on the bottom of the sled. I'm just looking to protect the bottom of my sled, and those hyfax kits are too expensive and I have some skis I could use.

I think it would work. And maybe you could add some patches to take care of any snow that might get kicked up through the holes. That waterproof construction adhesive works great.
Hint: Diablo blade in a sawsall or cutting disc on an angle grinder makes fast work of those skis.
Post pics when your done
It is what it is....

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #918 on: Jan 12, 2014, 07:38 PM »
Anyone mount skis directly to their sled? I just realized I wore a hole through the bottom of my jet sled after running it on some pavement after a hike to a lake. I like the idea of the smitty sled, but dont like the idea of the extra bulk of risers/cross members
I talked to a guy yesterday on the ice with skis mounted directly to the bottom of his old one man flip shanty. only had about a 3" gap in front down to a 1" gap at the back, where the seat is. He screwed it thru to a piece of wood on the inside part of sled and used caulk  under the wood before he tightened up the screws. said he had no problems with water leaking thru.  he says it slides good. couldn't afford a new one so he did that instead.
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline gooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #919 on: Jan 12, 2014, 08:12 PM »
That's how I made my old tote. It looked the same but no riders on it. It worked pretty well but plowed a lot of snow when I was in deeper powder. That's why I have the riders now.
Tight lines and big fish

Offline icerink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #920 on: Jan 12, 2014, 09:50 PM »
Finished my Smitty Sled today. Looks like I could get hurt with this thing. It might run me down ! :-) Thanks Smitty, this thing is great with my Fishtrap aboard.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #921 on: Jan 13, 2014, 08:19 PM »
Mines a slow puller, but definitely better than snow plowing the jet sled alone.  I built it with 2X6, so the sled isn't in the snow.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline roguebaldguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #922 on: Jan 13, 2014, 08:21 PM »
Just built my "Smitty" tonight after purchasing some new gear.
Pulled it around out in the snow for a bit and it worked like a dream.
Thanks for all of your post and inspiration!

Few pictures of the project.

What are those poles that are attached to the ski's?  I have been looking for a similar thing but dont know what exactly to look for.

Offline Joe Wayne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #923 on: Jan 13, 2014, 08:24 PM »
It's a galvanized flange with a nipple.

Joe Wayne | Ankeny, IA

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #924 on: Jan 15, 2014, 03:01 PM »
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #925 on: Jan 15, 2014, 11:47 PM »
http://www.geteskimo.com/Foundations/Store/shopdetail.asp?params=15575

Eskimo now has a Smitty Sled!
Bet it isn't no 15 bucks!  LOL    Looks heavy duty. I am surprised none of the shack makers hasn't came out wit a pop out skis.  Shappel had something close,  but it wasn't verygood for heavy weight.
Gator Nation

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #926 on: Jan 16, 2014, 12:32 AM »
WHAAAA ?    144 pounds !  :woot:    I'll guess more than $5.00/ #     It has a drop down feature, but it's no Smitty Sled.      :roflmao:

Offline roguebaldguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #927 on: Jan 16, 2014, 08:51 PM »
Found the Eskimo "smitty sled" - $700!!!  Yeah just a tad over $15.  I only have $4.22 invested in mine so far and it hauls over 300 lbs of stuff.  Of course it doesn't have a lowering feature, but i dont want to fish off it so its all good.

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #928 on: Jan 17, 2014, 06:11 AM »
Found the Eskimo "smitty sled" - $700!!!  Yeah just a tad over $15.  I only have $4.22 invested in mine so far and it hauls over 300 lbs of stuff.  Of course it doesn't have a lowering feature, but i dont want to fish off it so its all good.
Yeah, it's a bit overengineered and overpriced, but I was surprised at a commercial offering. And only 5 years behind Smitty! I'm VERY happy with mine! I may have $30 in mine with the additions to hold my auger one one side and my tent on the other. Thanks again Smitty!
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline Drillguy33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #929 on: Jan 17, 2014, 03:20 PM »
So a dumb question that has probably been answered a few times but...I want to build one for my otter sled how are you attaching it to the smitty?  Is it held in place just by the bungees and weight?
When I'm not fishing i'm thinking about fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.