Author Topic: does color matter?  (Read 3809 times)

Offline fishin fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • give 'em a shake
does color matter?
« on: Dec 17, 2003, 04:43 PM »
Does color really matter or is it like all other fishing?  By this I mean sometimes it makes a difference, but usually it matters more to use what you have confidence in.  Just curious.
t'pup!

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
Re:does color matter?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2003, 05:06 PM »
yes color really matters.  When fish are finiky they need natural colors. when aggresive, bright colors work better.  Bright colors are more visable and natural colors are less spooky.  When i fish for burbot at night i use glow in the dark because its more visable and attracts fish from farther distaces.  It really depends on the fish, water, time of day, etc.  there are alot of variables, but haveing the right color nearly always makes a difference.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2003, 09:18 PM »
just outta curiousity.... and i may sound dumb here.... but **censored** is a burbot?

Offline ButchT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2003, 05:45 PM »
A burbot is a fresh water cod. They are also known as ling, eelpout, cusk, lawyers and probably a lot more.  A lot of people consider them "trash" fish, but they are excellent table fare (some refer to them as poor man's lobster).  I skin and filet them, then they can be fried, broiled or boiled and dipped in melted butter.  Ymmm!!!

As to the importance of color, it definitely makes a difference.  I don't understand it myself.  I mean, how many aquatic creatures have you seen that glow in the dark or are chartreuse or hot orange?  But under the right conditions, those colors can be really hot and make the difference between success and "the skunk".  Keep changing colors til you find what is working at that time.
Tight Lines!!

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2003, 04:08 AM »
Yea it may matter before you down the 12 pack but by the end believe me you won't even notice :o  ;D

Offline iceguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • nothin like hard h2o
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2003, 05:53 AM »
 :P  color does matter!!!!! that is why you need to carry every type jig... in every color ever made!!! ;)   that way you may have a chance to have the right one they are feeding on that day.....  or just to drive your self nuts trying to figure the right-one to start with ???..... By the way.....you could never have enough jigs. ;)
guy

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2003, 07:58 AM »
iceguy, Is right on. Never too many jigs and colors!! :'(
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2004, 07:25 AM »
I think so. I was doing well on a silver swedish pimple with an orange strip one day. I switched over to an exact same size swedish pimple that was painted white with a green strip. My action stopped. When I switched back over the action started up again.

Offline alaskanman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice fishing rules!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2004, 01:36 PM »
I think color does make a difference, I've had a similar experience as Andrew Dumond from bright orange to all silver and from silver to bright orange.  PERCH_INC. and iceguy do have a points, lots of hooks, and lots of colors are good to have.

grumpymoe

« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2004, 02:05 PM »
i wouldn't call it a rule of thumb, but darn close. in murkier or stained waters, jig with darker colors. in waters with higher clarity, use lighter and brighter colors. i think the reason(s) for this are flashier is more unnatural in waters where light penetration is reduced, and is predominant in clear waters with high light conditions..grumpy

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2004, 03:16 PM »
Hmmmm, good reasoning. If I remeber right I read somewhere to fish with silver on clear days and gold/bronze on overcast days (open water fishing) and I would imagine it is the same principle.

grumpymoe

« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2004, 03:52 PM »
andrew dumond.. you're exactly right with the silver versus the gold... the light penetration is different... now make it work for you..grumpymoe  :'( :'( :'( :'(

fishmann

« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2004, 04:58 PM »
I remember once several years ago, opening weekend for walleye, most of the group had went home Sunday, but a buddy and I stayed till Wens. We found just the opposite, it was silver clouds, golden sun. That's how we remembered what was which. Sunny out, all our fish would come on gold blades on long lindys, cloudy out, better have on silver. That was only for a couple days time, and have had mixed results since then. I still like to experiment, there are always exceptions to every rule.

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: does color matter?
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2004, 12:16 AM »
 Brooks gold
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2010, 02:01 PM »
yes

Offline CLUB 32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2010, 11:02 PM »
Yes color matters.  I fish with a guy who doesn't like to switch to what is the hot color unless he is the one who finds it first.  I've had days where I did real well and he didn't....until he'd finally give up and switch colors.  And vise versa.
Below the radar.  Under the glass.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2010, 12:03 AM »
or follow a very general rule for colors.

Chartruese most of the time.
Gold or silver on sunny days.
Glows on low light.

I also just like fancy color combo's or patterns.  It just looks fancy.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2010, 07:38 AM »
Size of the presentation can be as, if not, more important than color more often than most will admit

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2010, 09:01 AM »
I can use a very recent example, I was out crappie fishing yesterday and the bite started off slow, my buddy thorws on a red northland bloodworm and starts to hammer big crappies with with, Im marking fish all morning but nothing to commit, so I change up and start hammering them as well.

the groups around us where bringing in a crappie here and there, but we caught fish all day, red was the color today, nothing else worked

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2010, 10:21 AM »
i always have found natural colors work best. but in some situations i throw pink if natural colors aren't working and that almost always works.

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2010, 10:30 AM »
If color didn't mater then I wouldn't have box's full of different colors,  would I ?
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline icontact

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2010, 10:55 AM »
I rarely attribute success to color, although I will admit it can make a difference with stationary presentations.
On most species sight is usually the last sense the fish use to target food. Vibration (lateral line) scent (on some species) are usually the first attracters for a fish, with color only becoming important when they are very close to your lure already.
I think lure size, speed, shape,finish, have much more to do with fish attraction than color, but then that is just my opinion. I have seen many anglers, who will continually change lures, and then when they catch a fish, they often reference the color of the lure first. I usually pay more attention to the shape of the lure, speed of retrieve, depth, finish, weight, bait, you get these right and I think the color rarely matters.
We dont have any crappie, or sunfish, bluegill around here so I have no idea about fishing for them.
I gotta chubby

Offline Ice Cream Headache

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 23, 2010, 05:55 PM »
I just want to point out a couple of things:

1) Fish may or may not see color; and if they do, they don't necessarily see it the same way humans do
2) Light penetration into water is a function of wavelength - the longer wavelengths (red) do not penetrate as far.  If you fish at 100 FOW, the fish most likely won't be seeing much color at all.  This doesn't even consider all the particulate matter floating around which makes things even worse.

So, what we see when we look at a lure may be nothing like how a fish sees it.

My current opinion is that it's not the color that matters so much, but the contrast in the colors.

Offline tipup_time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY POWER!!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:40 PM »
if you fish walleye, then yes, color matter! walleyes can see color in a different way than humans.. reds are brighter to them, so red and orange are always a good bet.. however.. the number one thing with color people need to know is WASHOUT! basically, at so many feet underwater certain colors turn grey.. red may turn grey or washout by 15 feet or less.. green by 20.. however,, purple and blue stay intact at much deeper depths!....
When hell freezes over Ill Ice fish there too

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:55 PM »
Well... when you're fishing 2 rods and colors, and pink is outcatching chartreuse 4-1... is it just a co-inky-dink???... I don thin so!

... give the feeshes what they want!!!
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #25 on: Dec 24, 2010, 06:59 AM »
For me it is all about water clarity.  In clear water, go with a more natural pattern.  In stained water, go brighter or glow.  Same with light conditions.  Go brighter the darker it gets. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 24, 2010, 07:24 AM »
Color does matter. I commercially fish for both perch and flatfish ( gills, seeds and crappie) and having all the colors is important. When the color is on the bite is solid and they practically hook themselves. Then you will notice they are bumping it or grabbing it and spitting it out and the bite isn't as solid. Change the color and the bite will pick up aggressively again when you find the right color. I develop patterns of colors and always have some proven favorites.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 24, 2010, 06:51 PM »
For me it is all about water clarity.  In clear water, go with a more natural pattern.  In stained water, go brighter or glow.  Same with light conditions.  Go brighter the darker it gets. 

I agree with the clear and natural!... but you should give dark colors a try in stained/muddy and low light conditions, you might be surprised.

The majority of my Crappie in the spring muddy water come off of black/blue, black/chartreuse, and/or junebug grubs with a red or black jig head. On sunny days and clearer water I like yellow/white and blue/white with a yellow or white jig head. Green/yellow and blue/yellow are great for stained water that is clearing.

... and don't even get me started on pink/purple! ;)
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Tlacey21walden

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 26, 2010, 02:04 PM »
Yes it dose and I would suggest reading "what fish see"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.