Author Topic: Jig quick change?  (Read 4082 times)

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jig quick change?
« on: Nov 14, 2013, 07:32 PM »
Anyone know of any products that would allow me to change my jigs on the fly without having to retie them every time I want to change colors.

Offline one last cast

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Jig quick change?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2013, 07:38 PM »
Anyone know of any products that would allow me to change my jigs on the fly without having to retie them every time I want to change colors.
jww311, I started using these a few years ago.
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=701927&WT.srch=1&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=google%7Cfis_Terminal+Tackle_Swivels%2C+Snaps%2C+Clevises%7CUSA&rid=20&WT.z_mc_id1=43700001449994738&gclid=CKP1u-TT5boCFcc7OgodplUAKA&gclsrc=aw.ds
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2013, 07:45 PM »
one last cast, I like the way you think. ;D
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2013, 07:54 PM »
well i would be using them on my panfish/crappie rods cuz thats all i really fish for through the ice..so would it be bad idea to use those on a panfish setup?

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2013, 08:08 PM »
No problems with them for Pannies, Small and Medium in Black work fine. Believe they allow for a more subtle presentation than tight knots do. You can get a jig to quiver in place once you get the hang of it, very effective on finicky fish. Or learn to tie a Surgeons loop which gives the same presentation. http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2013, 08:17 PM »
Thanks for the info guys!  I am definitely going to pick up some of these.

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2013, 08:28 PM »
One last cast has the right idea. I have them and just ordered more!
It is what it is....

Offline one last cast

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2013, 08:56 PM »

one last cast, I like the way you think. ;D
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2013, 10:21 PM »
what size is better for panfish jigs size 8-14 small (3/16") or medium (1/4") i mean its only 1/16" difference but lemme know which would work better i feel smaller would be the better choice

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2013, 10:51 PM »
After a BuckShot Rattle Spoon disconnected in 4fow, I always look closely and crimp it down a bit with one of the two hemostats I carry on lanyards.  They help old fingers changing jigs, too.     ;)2

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2013, 10:56 PM »
I hate to be a wet blanket but I tried these on someone's advice last year. I'm back to knots. Maybe I went too small (they were the 3/16), but I often had to use a hemostat to clip them on a jig. I worried about damaging my fine leader. My helpful tip is to attach the clip to the jig first before tying it on. You'll have something to hold onto.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2013, 11:53 PM »
i was worried about the performance of the jig being hindered....im going to give them a shot if they dont work like i would like i guess it will be a lesson learned

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2013, 06:45 AM »
I like a knot on the small jigs, for the reason mjmeyer stated and to get them horizontal jigs to hang horizonally.
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2013, 10:54 AM »
I like a knot on the small jigs, for the reason mjmeyer stated and to get them horizontal jigs to hang horizonally.

Totally agree Bart. I readjust my smaller jigs every time I land a fish. I firmly believe I catch more fish with a horizontal presentation. I received two packs today, one large and one xl. My idea when ordering was to use these for swapping out my vertical jigs, spoons and to also be able to switch between Rapalas and other lures that are bigger but that I still want to give that sorta presentation. I guess I will try it out and see how it goes..AS SOON AS WE GET SOME ICE!!!
It is what it is....

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2013, 12:39 PM »
@corndog, are you stating that you use these with horizonal jigs which have the eyelet going a different direction than the vertical jigs?  I am most likely going to be using horizontals most of the time and want to be able to quickly swap out different colors if needed....

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #17 on: Nov 16, 2013, 01:12 PM »
I love the little guys, but find they are best on my horizontal jigs, not impeding any movement.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 16, 2013, 01:25 PM »
Bart thanks for the video, i will be sure to be aware of that....but I am more concerned about the fast snaps hindering the presentation of the horizontal jig....

Offline BUSCHLITE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 16, 2013, 01:26 PM »
What about cross lock snaps? I've seen pics in mags with guys using these with chubbys and jigging raps. If so what size would you use for jigging them baits for walleye? Also, can they be used with vertical baits like rattle spoons and blades? Thinking I'd run 6lb fire line crystal and tie direct to the cross snap.

I hate to rob someone else's thread, but was wondering myself, and the topic is some what related I guess. ;D

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #20 on: Nov 16, 2013, 02:28 PM »
Cross-locks are safe in that I never lost a lure. It's a bit more hardware in the fishys face. All these devices have a time and place.

And the back-up, just direct-tie, depending on the jig.    ;)2

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 16, 2013, 10:28 PM »
damn you threadjacker!!!! lol jk

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 16, 2013, 11:28 PM »
I was referring to BUSCHLITE.....but i could care less....the questions are all relevant to the topic...I wish you a good season as well!  @BUSCHLITE, PBR is way better. ;D

Offline Piatu

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • http://myworld.ebay.com/piatu/?_trksid=p4340.l2559
« Reply #23 on: Nov 17, 2013, 01:41 AM »
At here we use this kind of snaps:

All of these are handmaked by one finnish manufacturer and hardened stainless steel

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.