Author Topic: Favorite jigging reels and why.  (Read 4400 times)

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
Favorite jigging reels and why.
« on: Feb 28, 2013, 10:28 AM »
I have been out of this game for a while. And I am just getting back into it.Can I have some of your favorite jigging reels and why you like them including size. And also maybe some reels that you have tried and didnt work out and why. Last time I jigged a fish my rods had and old Quick and an old mitchell. I happen to also be a gear junkie so let me have it.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Favorite jigging reels and why.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2013, 08:56 PM »
Spinning:

Pflueger President 9720/6920
Pinnacle Matrix Tiny 20
Okuma Stinson Si 10a
Okuma Avenger 10b
Shimano Symetre 500
Shimano Sedona 500

Straight line:

Frabill 101
Black Betty 6061
Eagle Claw Inline
Okuma SLV 2/3

Lotta options out there!
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2013, 09:03 PM »
Thanks, I know of all the options I know the question is a bit vague but what I had in mind was advise as to which reels met expectations or did not meet expectations. Basically do to the adverse conditions that are faced in the winter.You know I am a surf fisherman and sometimes you hear of a great product but as soon as you put it to real hard use condition they do not meet expectations.
But I do thank you for your replies as I was also curios to see the sizes that guys like to use out on the ice. The president seems to be a good all around reel that many are happy with.

Is that 500 size very small.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2013, 09:10 PM »
I use the same spinning reels I have on my fresh water rods in the summer; Shimano Stradics. I have had NO trouble with the reels in the winter with the same oil/grease that they came with.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2013, 09:25 PM »
Spinning:

Pflueger President 9720
Pinnacle Tiny Deadbolt
Tica Cetus 500
Okuma Stinson Si 10a
Okuma Avenger 10b
Shimano Symetre 500
Shimano Sedona 500

Straight line:

Frabill 101
Black Betty 6061
Eagle Claw Inline
Okuma SLV 2/3

Lotta options out there!

Nice collection that looks like the wish list I have when I hit the lotto lol.
I'm quite happy with my new Shimano Sedona 500. I have all the Shimano Sedona's made now. Why because of the drag it is smooth like Keith Stone.
I need a job like you have.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2013, 09:28 PM »
Nice collection that looks like the wish list I have when I hit the lotto lol.
I'm quite happy with my new Shimano Sedona 500. I have all the Shimano Sedona's made now.
I need a job like you have.

Sporty I would like an application for that job to.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2013, 09:56 PM »
Thanks, I know of all the options I know the question is a bit vague but what I had in mind was advise as to which reels met expectations or did not meet expectations.

All those listed are quality reels & the differences are mostly cosmetic & varying in price... The sizes listed are micro reels suitable for ice rods

PS I only own a few of those listed; Not a personal collection  ;D
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2013, 10:59 PM »
Thanks Townie.

And to bad that was not your collection. We were very jealous.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2013, 03:49 AM »
Thanks Townie.

And to bad that was not your collection. We were very jealous.

Ya I was all packed for a move to mass to look for work LOL
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2013, 07:44 AM »
I like the pflueger trion (smallest size) for my jigging rods. I always take out the factory oil/grease and put in my own cold weather approved oil/grease. Seems to help a ton. Be careful though, if you oil them too well they will reel on their own when you are jigging.  ;D
EYECONICFISHING

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2013, 07:46 AM »
6061 is my go to reel. No line twist and gets down fast. 2.8 line retrieve too. Love it. I have 3 rods for that reel ;D
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2013, 11:15 AM »
I like the 6061 myself. I am probably going to get one. Do you think it will work out ok in deep water.

BBK what type of oil are you replacing with.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2013, 04:33 PM »
Quantum Hot Sauce.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Carrots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2013, 06:18 PM »
I use all Shimanos. Sedonas and Saharas. Factory grease/oil. NEVER any problems, even in really harsh conditions.  :thumbsup:

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2013, 07:09 PM »

Offline ECIcer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2013, 07:48 PM »
I have been using Cabelas Fish Eagle 500, Abu Garcia Cardinal 500, Northland Sub Zero 500, and Shimano Sedona 500.  I personally like the Shimano the best.  It has the best drag out of the group and reels super smooth.  I am using the stock grease and never had a problem but I am fishing in a shanty.  The least favorite is definately the Northland Sub Zero but I usually do not like any combo reels at all anyways.  I am partial to Shimano since they are also my favorite soft water reels also.

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2013, 07:51 PM »
Shallow water I use a fly reel with clicker removed. Deeper waters I use assorted spinning ice reels.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2013, 06:00 AM »

Pflueger Supreme or the  President

The president is about all any non tournament "regular" guy would ever need. They will work fine and are a very nice reel. The supreme just takes it to the next level. Lighter, smoother, little better drag.

WS

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 03, 2013, 04:19 PM »
i really like the Shimano Axul-SA

great for anything from panfish, to bass, to trout.

it's $20, has a nice smooth drag that's easy to adjust to just the right spot, good anti-reverse, and the factory grease it comes with doesn't gum up in super cold temperatures.

Offline CZMark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 04, 2013, 02:21 PM »
I have Presidents and Tica's, but my favorites are the Shimano Sedona 500's for panfish rods.

Offline Duke M

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 06, 2013, 08:33 AM »
Schooley. Why? I fish shallow water, no line twist, cheap, light weight, comfortable to hold, and with a little clean up on the plastic casting seams and a drop of Quatum Hot Sauce an incredibly smooth drag contolled by your thumb.

Duke

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 06, 2013, 11:09 AM »
Thanks Duke. I have been thinking about these. I may have to give it a go.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Mar 07, 2013, 04:55 PM »
I use the schooleys for brush rods. They are used for fishing in the shallow laydowns here on the miss backwaters. In water less than 6' deep they are great. You just set the hook and lift the fish out of the hole. In waters over that, trying to reel is stupid and very annoying. The old timers do it here and by the time they reel up the fish and get back down the school is gone and I've already caught 3-4 fish. Any time I have to use the reel I'm using a spinning reel.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #23 on: Mar 07, 2013, 06:41 PM »
My favorite jigging reel is a baitcasting reel.

My most used spinning reel is a Shimano Stradic 1000.  Personally the Stradics uses a worm gear for the oscillation.  It tends to do a better job at keeping the line lay on the spool even.  The rising price of the Stradics are kind of going overboard nowadays. 

I know it's about jigging reel, but for a non-jigging reel, say for slip bobber, I'll opt for the Pfleuger Presidents instead.  For one thing, the line roller is a big wide smooth concave shape allowing that bobber stop to slide through easily.  Can't do that so well with the grooved line rollers on the Stradics.

Even weight wise, I find the Stradic to be better balance, eventhough my old Stradic 1000FG weighs in at a whopping 10+ oz or something as compared to some of newer 1000FH's and 1000FI's weighing in at 7.9oz or so my memory recalls.  When I compared that to those Pfleuger Presidents 20 size reels weighing in at 5.9 oz.  The thing is the Pfleuger Presidents have longer handles so that throws the whole weight balance thing off when making a performance comparison to the Shimano Stradics.  The Pleuger reels are also thinner in body so more weight is concentrated in a smaller area. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 07, 2013, 06:57 PM »
My favorite jigging reel is a baitcasting reel.

My most used spinning reel is a Shimano Stradic 1000.  Personally the Stradics uses a worm gear for the oscillation.  It tends to do a better job at keeping the line lay on the spool even.  The rising price of the Stradics are kind of going overboard nowadays. 

I know it's about jigging reel, but for a non-jigging reel, say for slip bobber, I'll opt for the Pfleuger Presidents instead.  For one thing, the line roller is a big wide smooth concave shape allowing that bobber stop to slide through easily.  Can't do that so well with the grooved line rollers on the Stradics.

Even weight wise, I find the Stradic to be better balance, eventhough my old Stradic 1000FG weighs in at a whopping 10+ oz or something as compared to some of newer 1000FH's and 1000FI's weighing in at 7.9oz or so my memory recalls.  When I compared that to those Pfleuger Presidents 20 size reels weighing in at 5.9 oz.  The thing is the Pfleuger Presidents have longer handles so that throws the whole weight balance thing off when making a performance comparison to the Shimano Stradics.  The Pleuger reels are also thinner in body so more weight is concentrated in a smaller area.

I have to agree that the stradics are nice I have a 1000fg that I use for trout fishing and it would definetly make a great jigging reel but for 150$ it should. I also have the 2500,5000 and 6000 and have never had a problem with any. as a matter of fact I actually also have the very first sradic the aero 2000 also a great reel. I would like to give the c14 a try. I am thinking about getting the president because of how many great things I have heard about it. I actually have never heard a bad thing about it. Today I got an HT Accucast to try out. I got the 6 ball bearing model. I likme the long neck for gloves so I will give it a try. Seems to be a pretty decent reel and for 20$ cant really go wrong.

Offline walkndude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 07, 2013, 07:46 PM »
Schooleys are great up to 15 ft and pretty much all I use in those cases, foolproof drag, never freeze up no matter the conditions, super cheap etc. While the sheep are waiting for their jigs to stop spinning like a top or picking out the smallest fish in the school because of it, I whack'em and stack'em. Over 15ft I like the tritons and presidents.

Offline fish-e

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 07, 2013, 08:31 PM »
Schooleys are great up to 15 ft and pretty much all I use in those cases, foolproof drag, never freeze up no matter the conditions, super cheap etc. While the sheep are waiting for their jigs to stop spinning like a top or picking out the smallest fish in the school because of it, I whack'em and stack'em. Over 15ft I like the tritons and presidents.

(Image removed from quote.)

x2

I agree these are simple to use and never any freeze ups.

This season was the first time both my Tica and Sienna froze up.  I don't blame the equipment because the both had braid line and I was fishing in -20c without the wind chill (no shelter either).

Both the Tica and Sienna are excellent reels with similar performance.  But if I had to choose a spinning reel, the Tica, just because it is more comfortable in my hand. 
Add a day to your life, go fishing.

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 08, 2013, 02:39 PM »
under 25 fow schooleys less line twist and better jig presentation over 25 fow shimano sedona 500
Dave

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #28 on: Mar 08, 2013, 10:54 PM »
Big diameter low twist reels that don't weigh a lot. Indoor short rods get a bass pro 1000 extreme that weigh 7 ounces and outdoor rods get pflueger 30 arbor reels. Use good swivel up 18" and rods with big guides and light tips.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.