Author Topic: BERKLEY ICE FISHING WAXIES  (Read 4101 times)

Offline LilWeezy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SHUT UP AND FISH
BERKLEY ICE FISHING WAXIES
« on: Nov 24, 2010, 11:42 AM »
HAS ANYONE TRIED THESE ARE THEY EFFECTIVE?

Offline polartippah

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "TroyTMG" on MYFishFinder.com
Re: BERKLEY ICE FISHING WAXIES
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2010, 06:57 PM »
I heard they work good and they last longer than the real thing.

Offline LilWeezy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SHUT UP AND FISH
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2010, 07:30 PM »
might hav eto give um a try

Offline ctibbetts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2010, 07:57 PM »
I use them quite a bit.  They work- except when they don't.  They last much better on the hook than naturals and are easier to keep, but sometimes they don't work.  And when I say they don't work- there are times they can scare fish away- I've seen it on my underwater camera. When they do work, I prefer them to  the real thing because I often get multiple fish on one bait.  I usually keep a jar or two around and a bait puck full of meal worms from the pet store in my pocket.  That way I've got it covered.
There's no chin under Chuck Norris's beard- only another fist.

Offline xphelanx

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where did you put my beer?
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2010, 08:49 PM »
I've found that they work great except when they don't as well. I keep a jar of the pink and a jar of the natural in my bucket for those occasions when fish aren't too interested in other stuff (Be Prepared!)
I've got the itch... No, not that one. It's the good kind.
It's pronounced "fay-len" (the x's are silent)

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2010, 08:55 PM »
I've found that they work great except when they don't as well. I keep a jar of the pink and a jar of the natural in my bucket for those occasions when fish aren't too interested in other stuff (Be Prepared!)

ditto

Offline kevinmaine3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2010, 12:09 PM »
I used them all last year, just got into jigging and it seemed to fit my budget.. i caught a bunch of crappie on them, some trout, salmon, bass. i liked them,and i still have half the jar left,  i went jigging with a few people who were using waxies, i seemed to catch just as many fish, but i didnt have to replace my bait after a catch, some days id go 20 fish on the same one...

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2010, 08:18 PM »
I have had great success with them, catching perch, gills, crappies, and even suckers with them through the ice

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2010, 09:30 PM »
I also have used them and worked well on perch I have never gave them a fair shake out but I will.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline Timber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2010, 09:31 PM »
I've been using them more and more lately . I used them this summer with my ultra light slip float set up . I was using the chartruese color .

The jars they come in stink ! they don't have any sort of seal on them and will leak out all the juice if they tip over in your tackle bag .

Berkeley really needs to do something about that .  >:(

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2010, 09:34 PM »
Ya, that sucks to find the jar leaked into your pocket.....I keep mine in plastic zip loc bags in my pockets now

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2010, 08:51 AM »
I haven't tried the waxies, but I have used the honey worms almost exclusively for the past 2-3 years. I have had best luck with the yellow colored worms. I also have red and natural but they don't seem to work as well. 
jbird68

Offline lives2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2010, 10:02 AM »
Started using them because they were on clearance 2 years ago.  Best couple of bucks I have spent in a while. They are really durable and they seem to catch fishing pretty consistantly. Bass, trout, perch, crappie, gills, etc. Its something definatley worth keeping in the arsenal.
No, I mean I REALLY REALLY LOVE TO FISH!!!

Offline dsids

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2010, 11:34 PM »
They work, a lot better than no bait at all on the jig, but they are no substitute for the real deal.

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2010, 10:46 PM »
I've been using them more and more lately . I used them this summer with my ultra light slip float set up . I was using the chartruese color .

The jars they come in stink ! they don't have any sort of seal on them and will leak out all the juice if they tip over in your tackle bag .

Try some teflon tape, just be careful when you open the jar-worked for me last year........

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2010, 01:20 PM »
Didn't work for me. Ended up using them to chum the holes i was fishing. Watched on the vex. They would settle on the bottom with no fish coming into the screen. A while later, the screen would light up for a few minutes as the smell pulled the fish in but they wouldn't touch the ones on my jigs. ??? So i'd drop a live minnow down and catch them. A single jar would last over 6 trips.

Offline Timber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2010, 08:34 PM »
Try some teflon tape, just be careful when you open the jar-worked for me last year........

Yeah I heard about that . I'm gonna give it a try . Berkley really needs to fix this problem though .

Thanks  :tipup:

Offline GotEmHooked

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2010, 08:34 PM »
They work, a lot better than no bait at all on the jig, but they are no substitute for the real deal.
DITTO

Offline ColdFrontFisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2010, 02:47 AM »
Post frontal conditions follow me like a lonely puppy

Offline ColdFrontFisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2010, 02:50 AM »

Yea...what they did about it- making a plastic carrying case for them which costs extra- is just idiotic. Put a better lid on the jar and the problem is solved. sucks when they will take you for a long ride just to squeeze out a extra five bucks.
Post frontal conditions follow me like a lonely puppy

Offline thehopehouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2010, 06:40 PM »
I had better luck with live bait that these,  My son who is 7 loves them.  He fishes all day with one piece.  He that he is only 7 he plays a lot when he decides to fish again he just drops his line down the hole,

Offline compli123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish whispering since 1962
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2010, 08:22 PM »
been using them all winter, all summer and rarely anything else. They're great in my book! Specially when tipping a Marmooska
I like to sit around on the ice doing nothing because my wife won't let me do it at home.

Offline tla100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 09, 2010, 10:21 PM »
Used the Gulp Alive Fish fry this summer when I forgot to get real bait. All I had and put a hurt on some nice gills with a Mudbug. Used both times I went out last week, did better first day, 2nd trip they liked waxies. They do leak tho. The last jar i bought, I left the pull of foil seal on, just peeled halfway, seems better than other jars I had. First had the 1.5" Fry, but bought the 1" now, the tail gives them good action and body fits perfect on small jigs. Timmy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.