Author Topic: Tungston Jigs  (Read 3908 times)

Offline carbidemanfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
Tungston Jigs
« on: Nov 13, 2010, 08:20 PM »
I have had great success using tunston jigging spoons on the detroit river during open water season. As i was looking at icefishing jigs in basspro i saw some tungston jiggs for sale. I was wondering if any of u guys have used tungston jigs for icefishing and what you think of them.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
Re: Tungston Jigs
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2010, 08:37 PM »
I have had great success using tunston jigging spoons on the detroit river during open water season. As i was looking at icefishing jigs in basspro i saw some tungston jiggs for sale. I was wondering if any of u guys have used tungston jigs for icefishing and what you think of them.

Proud owner of a 100 or so.  Well worth the money.  Fall alot faster, and are all around better jigs

Offline lexman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2010, 08:46 PM »
just bought some to try this year. for the price- hope they work as good as they say.

Offline tank81

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MICHIGAN
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2010, 10:26 PM »
i use them often like the fast drop
BORN to ICE FISH forced to WORK

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2010, 05:50 AM »
i use them often like the fast drop
same here.they are small but sink fast and seems to tame the coils out of my line.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2010, 07:54 AM »
when you are dropping into medium/deep water while on a hot bite, there is nothing better, these small jigas drop crazy fast, but dont hurt the action

Offline wmu1989

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2010, 09:11 AM »

Tungston is all I use for gills. I personally love Fiskas. They are becoming more readily avalable at sporting goods stores as well. You can get them online at: yourbobbersdown.com. With them being heavier there is no need for split shot and you are able to fish smaller as well.

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2010, 01:54 PM »
Just started using them last year.  They are great if you want to use a small jig without the spitshot.  I also did notice less line twists and faster fall on the flasher.  With the real small jigs, I noticed it is important to position your knot properly for proper presentation, but I think that is the case with most small horizontal jigs..

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2010, 01:11 PM »
if you are icefishing you better have a nice selection of tungsten...I highly recommend Fiskas with Scandia's my second choice. They show up awesome on a vexilar as well. Fiska has great color selections (over 40) and several come in glow!!

:icefish:

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2010, 01:20 PM »
I have several and with tungston being about 4 times heavier than lead they get you back down into the action quicker, which I think is where they really shine. They dont nessecarily catch more fish because they are tungston but getting back down quicker helps.

J-

Offline lexman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2010, 02:13 PM »
Which size do you rscommend-3mm -4 or 5mm ?

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2010, 02:37 PM »
Fiskas jigs are awsome in my opinion, can't go wrong buying them even though they cost alot, they'll be in my ice box always. Fishing with them has won me hundreds of dollars.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2010, 09:56 AM »
Which size do you rscommend-3mm -4 or 5mm ?

honestly you really would be better off getting a few in all 3 sizes.the 3s are really small and look good for gills in my opinion but even the 5mm is not that big and i could see big ones sucking them down easily.i got 1 wolfpack of 5, 3WPs of 3 and ordered some single 4s

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2010, 10:42 AM »
Size depends on what you fish for and how finicky the fish are. Myself I rarely use a jig over 3mm.

Offline pjwatson05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2010, 10:10 PM »
Live bait, I use 3mm, most of the time.
If the fish are real finicky I will use a 2mm or 2.5mm
Plastics, I use 4mm & 5mm alot.  

Last year I was in a bait shop that had some Fiskas in all sizes.  I figured what the heck I will try a few 4mm & 5mm Fiskas, before then I always stuck with the smaller ones (2mm, 2.5mm & 3mm)
They look pretty good sized, but a crappie will take a 5mm Gold Fiska tipped with just a chartruse Skimpie all day long.  My favorite jig for crappies used to be a ratso.  On a whim I figured that I would try some 4mm & 5mm Fiskas even though I though they were too big, best idea I have had in a while.

Not saying that you can't use smaller Fiska with plastics, just seems that the profile & the way they work in the water seems to fish better on a 4mm or 5mm.  From my personal experinence of course.

I have a Fiska on the end of my rod 90+% of the time on the ice, they flat out produce & they get down to the fish super fast.

Offline lexman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2010, 07:02 AM »
I used some 3s last week on gills.they worked great-got back down the really fast.Ithink they were worth the extra money.

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2010, 07:50 PM »
I've been pounding Crappie on the 6mm size. They are heavy and drop super fast!

Craig

Offline pannyjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2010, 10:38 PM »
I just used the Fiskas for the first time yesterday.  Used a 4mm white glow and caught about 25 gills and 2 crappie.  I loved how quickly the jig got back down, and like others said, line twist/coils not an issue.

pannyjigger.

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2010, 06:27 PM »
I only use tungsten jigs( Fiskas).  They fall a lot faster and are a lot smaller for the weight which is really good for the finicky gills I fish for most of the time.
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline Yopy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2010, 08:29 PM »
i started using them this year. they work great. i got mine from wolfram jigs, http://www.yourbobbersdown.com/alljigs.html

Careful on them tho. I grabbed one with my hemostat and it easily cracked the paint right off of them.

I like the 4mm's. the 5mm's are a bit bigger but still do the trick. E69 and HP44 have done the trick quite well.

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 31, 2010, 07:51 AM »
they are not worth the money to me

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2011, 06:02 PM »
fleet farm has some ice flies... the are just regular flies but they have one single tungsten bead threaded on it, and its amazing how fast they sink for just having one bead on them... and they work great on trout around here too!!! if i knew how to tie flies i would buy a 100 pack of the beads and just have a mess of em laying around!!!!!!

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2011, 08:47 AM »
Just got some Fiskas and cant wait to try them on the whiteies.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2011, 11:18 AM »
i have also been using fiskers for a few yrs now and all i can say is i don't go out without my vex and the fiskers.the combination of both has been made illegal in some areas ;D ;D i use 3 4 and 5 but the 3 is pretty small.get mine from yourbobbersdown.com.

Offline Fishurman63

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2011, 08:15 AM »
Fiskas are the ticket to me. I have caught several walleye on a 5mm white glow with black spots and a red bead with a small white noogie. Really a awesome perch set up also. I have caught gills, perch, crappie, walleye and even had pike come in charging like a bull and tho I haven't caught a pike on 1 I try not to either :) Last year on Wamplers during the midwest Ice tourney had a monster pike I would say 38 ish incher come charging it and I kept taking it away. This lasted 4 or 5 charges and finally had to move! I have noticed tho the hooks can be a bit brittle on the Fiskas so I most always use my hemos to take the hook out as not to break it off.

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 13, 2011, 06:50 PM »
I have several and with tungston being about 4 times heavier than lead they get you back down into the action quicker, which I think is where they really shine. They dont nessecarily catch more fish because they are tungston but getting back down quicker helps.

J-

There is one thing about  tungsten that  most people on the shanty dont  realize.  And that is the fact that tungsten is lighter, not heavier than lead.  not to take anything away from  them - they work great.

But you all have computers -- google  a "periodic table of the elements" and see for yourself.   Look at hydrogen --- lightest element there is.   It has an atomic weight of 1.   Look up lead -- the symbol is Pb. It has an atomic weight of 207 ( 207 times heavier than hydrogen).   Tungstens symbol is W.  Its weight is 183.  Still pretty friggin heavy,  but  not as heavy as lead.  If you have two jigs the exact same size and shape -- on lead and one tungsten,  the lead one will be heavier.
End of quote 

After reading this, where do you come up with tungsten being 4 times heavier than lead?  It looks like lead is heavier that tungsten to me.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #27 on: Jan 13, 2011, 07:21 PM »
There is one thing about  tungsten that  most people on the shanty dont  realize.  And that is the fact that tungsten is lighter, not heavier than lead.  not to take anything away from  them - they work great.

But you all have computers -- google  a "periodic table of the elements" and see for yourself.   Look at hydrogen --- lightest element there is.   It has an atomic weight of 1.   Look up lead -- the symbol is Pb. It has an atomic weight of 207 ( 207 times heavier than hydrogen).   Tungstens symbol is W.  Its weight is 183.  Still pretty friggin heavy,  but  not as heavy as lead.  If you have two jigs the exact same size and shape -- on lead and one tungsten,  the lead one will be heavier.
End of quote 

After reading this, where do you come up with tungsten being 4 times heavier than lead?  It looks like lead is heavier that tungsten to me.

well this is what i get out of it... yes one atom of each.. lead is heavier(ie- atomic weight).. but two jigs with same specs (size and shape) and one is lead and one is tungsten.. TUNGSTEN will drop faster, you also need to factor in density of the alloy itself.. the following line is from wikipeidia

(tungsten)
Also remarkable is its very high density of 19.3 times that of water. This density is slightly more than that of uranium, 71% more than that of lead and within 0.25% that of gold ;D

not to get in the middle of your little pi$$ing contest but when i first heard of tungsten i knew nothing of it,so i also googled it and the above is what i understand of it.. correct me if im wrong

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 15, 2011, 06:06 AM »
anyone that has had both on the end of their line should know the difference.tungston is noticibly heavier or my spring bobber is not working.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.