Author Topic: jig rapala ???  (Read 5466 times)

Offline mpriceless7

• Team IceShanty Regular
jig rapala ???
« on: Jan 27, 2009, 03:30 PM »
going to jig with one for eyes, should i tip with  a minnow head ??? on the treble ? or no. Thanks
[IMG]

Offline Junior88

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Captain Insano Shows No Mercy !
Re: jig rapala ???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2009, 05:21 PM »
Tipped mine with a head on Friday. On the middle treb. I let them sink to the bottom and commensed to jigging. I bounced them off the lake bottom every so often. Then the Vex would lite up and POW. Fish on. Total excitement.

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2009, 09:29 PM »
Gotta go minnow head imo.  i have been fishing, had fish come up and not hit when i reel in my line i find no head.  put a head on and the fish hit.

Offline mpriceless7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2009, 08:14 PM »
 well that worked !!!!! I had two hits, missed the first and landed the second , but he was only 14 inches so I had to throw him back. Look out eyes here I come !!!
[IMG]

Offline Rockfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2009, 02:48 PM »
Hmmm.  I fish them regularly and really haven't noticed the difference.  I usually fish them in front of my aquaVu so I can see the hit.  Its rare to have an 'eye act skittish.  Usually, they just pound it.

Offline FishingNy03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2009, 07:04 PM »
i like using a perch eye on the treble hook

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2009, 11:39 AM »
We put the bait on the treble.  Very hard to land whitefish from deep water without them coming off.  Works good to attract them to the area though.

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2009, 08:23 PM »
Ive tried these things so many times and only caught a perch! I must have at least a dozen or so. I just seem to do WAY better with swedish pimples. :-\

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline FishingNy03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2009, 08:27 PM »
what color jig rapalas are good??

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2009, 08:35 PM »
what color jig rapalas are good??

honestly i have found they are all good.  seems to be more about he action, but somedays they hit some colors better.  I am a big naturual color guy and my buddy likes bright colors, etc.  it is a good mix.  eyes hit both the naturual colors and the neons.  seems like the naturuals are pretty steady, but somedays the bright colors will get real hot.

Offline FishingNy03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2009, 08:44 PM »
i have the neon orange, the blue tiger i think its called, firetiger, perch, and black and silver

Offline mulebarnmax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2009, 06:42 AM »
Me and my buddies almost always use a minnow head.  We don't seem to get hard takes so I think the smell of the head helps.  I've seen them come up and look at it, think about it, and then finally take it so I think the bait has an influence.
No jet skiers, no bugs...how can you not like ice fishing??

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2009, 06:54 AM »
I have found out that if you tip a jigging rap. alls your doing is attracting pan fish.  I fish bare bones and do just fine.  Put a minnow on the treb and the perch wont leave it alone.  Just my thoughts.

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2009, 11:24 PM »
I do it either way with a minnow head or bare. works either way. sometimes I will even put a waxie on.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 19, 2009, 11:33 AM »
I always tip the treb with a minnow head unless a hot bite. I take a butter knife and open up the eye hook and put on a much bigger treb than the one that comes with it! My favorite colors are chrome/blue in mid day and glowtiger during low light!
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline mix123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Oct 10, 2009, 03:42 PM »
For some reason mini marshmellows worked quite well on the treble when I was out last year. Used them a bunch of times...  ???

Offline BONECRUSHER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LOVE TO GET IT WET
« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2009, 05:45 PM »
I catch a majority of my EYES on rapalas with a whole blue hooked thru the head on the treble hook ;D
Works great for me

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 23, 2009, 07:36 PM »
What's everone's favirite SIZE of jigging rap.... and is there really a big difference between the jigging rap and the jigging shad rap??

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #18 on: Oct 24, 2009, 10:15 AM »
I use a small size (clown color) with a Hali dropper chain in place of the belly treble for perch.
Next colors is perch, (regular or glow)

When I am fishing for walleyes,  I like to keep it natural, and tip with a minnow head.

colors for Walleye :  Perch, Black back / gold side, Black back / silver side.

I have a few of the new northland minnows (three line ties on top) but have yet to catch anything on them.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline Corporal Punishment

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 24, 2009, 11:51 AM »
All I mostly fish for during ice season is river walleye,and Blue Tiger #5 gets most my bites.I jig with 2 rods with different colors as well and the blue always out fishes all others.I got most people that fish around me buying them,local bait shop cant keep them on there shelve. :o

Going to switch up with spoons this year,haven't really gave them a real thorough review yet.Seen guys pulling out more Pike than walleye using them though.And I always tip with the head or tail of a minnow off the treble. ;)

Offline Sledgod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 28, 2009, 03:18 PM »
Dumb question probably but what kind of rod do you use for the walleye...(ie. light action, medium)?  I have a medium action rod I was going to put a jiggin rap on for this winter as I want to start concentrating on the eyes but was maybe thinking I should go a little lighter.  Thanks for the info on the jiggin raps...hopefully helps me out a ton this winter.

Offline Corporal Punishment

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 28, 2009, 06:14 PM »
Lightest action rod you can find that will still reel in a monster if ya get one.The heavier rods just are not finesse enough IMO.I like a rod that when I stop jigging the rod still bounces a couple more times slowing the lure down,looking more natural. ;)

I am looking for the Ugly Stick combo rods this year,Gander says they might get them in again soon.I hate Ugly Sticks for open water fishing due to not getting a good hook set,but found this kind of rod is excellent for finicky walleye through the ice. 8)

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #22 on: Oct 29, 2009, 07:15 PM »
Look at some Cajun Ice rods.  They're a little more noodly in action compared to the Ugly Sticks (Lite).  If it weren't for their lack of reel seat, I would get more Cajun Ice rods.  I use my Ugly Stick Lite ultralite power for jigging for walleyes.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.