New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Striker hardwater suits  (Read 3200 times)

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Striker hardwater suits
« on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:27 AM »
I’m looking into buying a new Striker suit. Anybody have em? Local stores don’t have em and I like to try things on first before buying it. I have a large size in my old ice armor extreme bibs I’ve had for 12 years. But I’ve heard the medium hardwater bibs fits just like it. I’m a 34 waist about 5’8” and 170. Wondering how they fit on someone with similar build before I order. Thanks in advance
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Striker hardwater suits
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:37 AM »
Unless you're a bucket sitter I suggest you look at the predator, hard water is rather bulky and super warm. Just got a set myself and I am about the same dimensions as you so when I get home in a bit I will look at the sizing as I recall I'm rocking a small Bib and a medium coat. Couple trips on them and love them I'm glad I didn't go with something warmer

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:53 AM »
Call Fish 307, they will ship.  They are a sponsor of this site.

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:55 AM »
I am 5’9” a 34 inch waist and 200 lbs.   I bought the large bibs and a extra large coat.  I also purchased the hard water series and is super warm

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:55 AM »
Ended up having to get my set from two different places has no one had both sizes in stock that I needed, bibs from 307 jacket from VanDam Warehouse

Offline MAfisher57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:59 AM »
2X on the predator bibs over the hard water. Less stiff and plenty warm. I’m 5’11, 33 waist and 175lbs. I have large bibs and they fit perfectly. Hope that helps at all, good luck. You won’t be disappoint w striker gear!

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:59 AM »
Yeah i do a lot of bucket sitting. I’ll use my hut when it’s windy or super cold

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:01 AM »
Is the predator about the same insulation as the older ice armor extreme?

Offline elrodalonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:07 AM »
I bought a set of hardwater (bibs & jacket) last year.  They are expensive but worth every penny.  They are incredibly warm and have all the bells and whistles you need for ice fishing.  Extremely well made.  I'm of the opinion you can always take something off if you if you get too warm but ice fishing as you know sometimes can be brutal.  This suit will keep you warm under any conditions and I don't find it too restrictive for ice fishing.  I bought mine on ebay its hard to beat price wise.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:07 AM »
Is the predator about the same insulation as the older ice armor extreme?

I would say its comparable to Clams original Blue suit ..which I have both .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jsmex

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm awaitin for a lunker!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:08 AM »
I have the "Hardwater" bibs and coat. I'm 5'9" 220. I initially got the large bibs but they were way too long, returned them. I own the medium bibs now which is perfect length and just a hair snug in the waist. My coat is large, fits perfectly. With the hardwater suit you can sell your shanty, I've never gotten cold while wearing it. I sat on a bucket last Saturday from sunrise to sunset, the temp never made it over 11degrees, no probleemo

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:09 AM »
I’m looking into buying a new Striker suit. Anybody have em? Local stores don’t have em and I like to try things on first before buying it. I have a large size in my old ice armor extreme bibs I’ve had for 12 years. But I’ve heard the medium hardwater bibs fits just like it. I’m a 34 waist about 5’8” and 170. Wondering how they fit on someone with similar build before I order. Thanks in advance

I would say fit is similar too the Clam line up ..Fish307 near you?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:12 AM »
FishUSA may be an option for you if sizing is a major concern ..call before you drive though .

Offline elrodalonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:15 AM »
I also had to return my first pair of hardwater bibs they were too big.  The sizes seem to run big. Just FYI.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:21 AM »
I bought the hard water bibs instead of the Predator bibs because the hardwaters are made out of a  heavier 600 denier material and the predators are made out of 320 denier.  A friend of mine started to wear through his predators after a few years.  He replaced them with the hardwaters.   I was a little concerned about the thicker insulation of the hardwaters because I prefer a bib with no insulation, however fter using them for 1.5 seasons I could not be happier.  If I am moving around a lot and start to get a little warm I vent them by opening up the leg zippers a little or a lot depending on how much venting I want.  The leg zippers have 3 zippers so you can vent them where ever you want along the leg.   I bought the climate jacket because I like to adjust my layers.  I wear the inner jacket under my bibs and the outer jacket over the bibs.  Both jackets have venting zippers which is great.  The climate has an awesome hood that will keep you warm with out a hat so your head will not sweat during times of more activity.   

Offline JEBADIAH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • R.I.P. JEB
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:30 AM »
Bought my hardwater from Up north sports,they are bulky but man are they warm.

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:24 AM »
I would say fit is similar too the Clam line up ..Fish307 near you?
I would say fit is similar too the Clam line up ..Fish307 near you? I’m near buffalo, so it’s gonna be a long drive

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:26 AM »
Im out of syracuse so you get the same tempts that I get roughly. I have the Predator bibs and coat, I wouldnt want anything warmer or bulkier. The Predator bibs and parka are very comfortable, the hardwater will feel like wearing carharts and way warmer.

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:26 AM »
I would say its comparable to Clams original Blue suit ..which I have both .
ok thanks. I may lean towards the hardwater bib. It’s easier to get cooler than warmer when I fishing.

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:29 AM »
Im out of syracuse so you get the same tempts that I get roughly. I have the Predator bibs and coat, I wouldnt want anything warmer or bulkier. The Predator bibs and parka are very comfortable, the hardwater will feel like wearing carharts and way warmer.
that’s the problem. I get mixed opinions on that. That’s why I’d prefer to see them first. Don’t understand why some local places can’t carry them.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:32 AM »
Hardwater only way to go also, they are not to stiff unless u wanna run laps around lake. I move a lot and fish on knees, and have never had a problem being stiff. If u wanna wear your pajamas out there have at it, u can always take the coat off !!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:36 AM »
Hardwater only way to go also, they are not to stiff unless u wanna run laps around lake. I move a lot and fish on knees, and have never had a problem being stiff. If u wanna wear your pajamas out there have at it, u can always take the coat off !!

Washing your new suit will remove sizing and soften it some ...also finding out what to wear underneath your suit is the second biggest problem behind finding the right size...tech weight legging and jogging pants ..and I only wear the parka on windy/frigid days...otherwise just a hoodie and a vest with a combo of base layer based on conditions.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2019, 12:51 PM »
Wear a flannel shirt , light hooded sweatshirt, blue jeans, no long Johns, (don’t need them) and no shanty. Have set all day in Erie, back to wind and have never been cold !!   Most overdress with this suit, unless -50 temps u gonna be fine with what I wear, I found even long Johns are too much !!

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2019, 04:52 PM »
I love my hardwater suit. 33-34” waist and about 6’, 200#. I returned my large bibs for mediums and they fit great. Length shouldn’t be an issue as they come super long but have a roll under leg cuff to adjust.

Offline Dsportman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2019, 06:02 PM »
I went with the climate jacket and predator bibs and it is the best of both worlds. Once in the shanty I remove the jacket and the bibs are comfortable. Outside with the jacket I can sit comfortably in any weather. My suit is new this year so will see if it stands the test of time but so far I couldn’t be happier

Offline tarmstrong24

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't see that from your couch!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 16, 2019, 06:08 PM »
Why the predator bibs over the climate bibs? I personally have the full climate setup and wouldn’t trade it for anything. ANYTHING!!! I didn’t know if I was missing something on the predator bibs. So my vote would be climate setup. I take the soft shell out of the jacket and use it for around town. I don’t need it for ice since i use a shanty and like previous peeps have noted, take off the jacket once I’m setup anyways. I don’t I know why but I wear the jacket to and from my spots no matter what. Good habit for purely safety reasons I suppose. Check eBay. I got my whole setup there for very reasonable. Even though our lives are worth all our money. Back to my pbr. Cheers 🍻

I went with the climate jacket and predator bibs and it is the best of both worlds. Once in the shanty I remove the jacket and the bibs are comfortable. Outside with the jacket I can sit comfortably in any weather. My suit is new this year so will see if it stands the test of time but so far I couldn’t be happier

Offline MTIceHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2019, 06:16 PM »
I am your exactly build (5'8", 33" waist, and 170lbs). I have the medium predator bibs and jacket. I could use a large in the jacket but found it brand new in last years model for $45 so hard to pass up.

The large bibs were way too long for me when I tried them on in the store, not to mention to big in the belly area. Mediums fit really nice, not too snug and shoulder straps can be adjusted for length. Predator is plenty warm so far, usually too warm with a good base layer.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2019, 07:35 PM »
Best video on the Striker Ice Suits

Offline tarmstrong24

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't see that from your couch!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:47 PM »
FYI. The bibs are all made long. You set them to your inseam. There’s a internal Velcro system and once you set them up they’re rock solid. Mine haven’t budged in years.

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:03 PM »
Thank you all for the feedback on this. Looks like I may try for the medium size hardwater for the bibs. The jacket I may buy later. Looks like the large should be good for that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.