New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Chaumont Bay vs Guffins Bay  (Read 5191 times)

Offline redshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Chaumont Bay vs Guffins Bay
« on: Jan 14, 2019, 03:23 PM »
After seeing all of the great posts last year from Chaumont Hardware I'll be making my maiden voyage to the area at the end of next week.  I originally was planning on going out on Chaumont Bay but then I found a shanty rental from Guffins Bay Marina and the fella will shuttle the guys without wheelers for $5 round trip.  (great deal)   I'm the trip "organizer" so I want to make sure I don't screw up by fishing Guffin's vs Chaumont.  Are they generally about the same or should I abandon Guffin's and stick with Chaumont?  Not looking for hot spots or honey holes, just wondering if anyone who's fished there might offer an opinion.   Many thanks in advance.           

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Chaumont Bay vs Guffins Bay
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2019, 03:32 PM »
After seeing all of the great posts last year from Chaumont Hardware I'll be making my maiden voyage to the area at the end of next week.  I originally was planning on going out on Chaumont Bay but then I found a shanty rental from Guffins Bay Marina and the fella will shuttle the guys without wheelers for $5 round trip.  (great deal)   I'm the trip "organizer" so I want to make sure I don't screw up by fishing Guffin's vs Chaumont.  Are they generally about the same or should I abandon Guffin's and stick with Chaumont?  Not looking for hot spots or honey holes, just wondering if anyone who's fished there might offer an opinion.   Many thanks in advance.           

You'll do well at either location.  I've fished both bays for many seasons and have had great success on all species in both..

Guffins has got an ample supply of perch, big walleye taken out of there every year and good sized northern pike.

The main bay, likewise.

If you don't have machines to get around the ice, I'd avoid the main bay as it's a long walk to the decent fishing grounds, depending on what species you're targeting.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline bgaffney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2019, 03:36 PM »
Exactly

Offline Crappie slammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2019, 04:16 PM »
How deep do you fish on guffins bay and is there ice there yet or should I say is it fishable

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2019, 04:24 PM »
The guy from Guffin Bay may actually take you to Chaumont, it's not that far from his place. If he's guiding I suspect he knows the area well.

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2019, 06:15 PM »
What’s the deal with that shanty rental? I don’t see anything on their website about it.

Offline redshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2019, 07:40 PM »
I saw a post for it somewhere.  Its a 2-3 person shanty.  Sets it up for jigging.  No heat.  I’m bringing a mr buddy.   $35 a day.  He only has one shanty working right now. 

Offline redshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2019, 07:57 PM »
You'll do well at either location.  I've fished both bays for many seasons and have had great success on all species in both..

Guffins has got an ample supply of perch, big walleye taken out of there every year and good sized northern pike.

The main bay, likewise.

If you don't have machines to get around the ice, I'd avoid the main bay as it's a long walk to the decent fishing grounds, depending on what species you're targeting.
thanks esox.  We are after Eyes and perch.  We have more people than wheelers. 

Offline bgaffney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2019, 03:50 AM »
RedShanty If you have wheelers as stated be sure you have insurance and registration with helmets. Oue DEC are not as strict as Cranberry Lake but a ticket could ruin a great fishing outing. Good Luck!

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2019, 05:31 AM »
thanks esox.  We are after Eyes and perch.  We have more people than wheelers.

The only other advice I can offer up to you if you're unfamiliar with this body of water is this:

Watch for where others are fishing to get ideas where to go, but more importantly, pay attention to where the people are not, or are in very sparse numbers.

This bay will bite you in a hurry with changing conditions, just ask the guy who didn't understand changing conditions and went on an iceburg ride a couple years ago up here.  Apparently, just because he was on 8 inches or so of ice that had broken up/refrozen numerous times and the current (outflow) was ripping his jig sideways in the hole, he "thought" he was ok "cuz he'd been out there awhile".

When you guys get up here, ask Greg or whoever is working at the hardware store that day about ice conditions and where to avoid, they've got up to date information and are happy to share...

Offline redshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2019, 07:29 AM »
GREAT INFO ESOX.   Really really appreciate it.   If u are ever in the need of striper info on the upper hudson let me know!   

Offline dcosto

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:11 AM »
Is Chaumont Hardware no longer a sponsor of this site? I miss their excellent reports.

dpmsrm03

« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:59 AM »
Need to friend them on Facebook....lost website a few years back.

Offline reeleyez

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2019, 12:40 AM »
Does anyone have more details on the contact offering these services..

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2019, 04:43 AM »
Does anyone have more details on the contact offering these services..

http://guffinbayresortandmarina.com/index.html

Offline bgaffney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2019, 06:19 AM »
Add a compass to your list.

Offline Buckeyefisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:10 AM »
Looks like it is going to be a cold weekend.  I am planning on toughing it out though.  I'm hearing some good thing about Chaumont this year.  I really wish we could set up a parking lot over on 3mile bay though.  That place is a diamond.

Offline basscott99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2019, 06:59 PM »
Has anyone heard the ice broke up today on Chaumont from the wind?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.