New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: First NY Trip  (Read 1644 times)

Offline herrup92

• IceShanty Rookie
First NY Trip
« on: Jan 11, 2019, 09:55 AM »
Hello everyone,

As a PA resident, I've never gone ice fishing in New York... But with the lack of cold temps this year it looks like that's going to end.  My girlfriend and I are looking to make a long weekend trip to NY next weekend (1/19-21).  I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions as to where to go.  Mainly just looking for panfish and safe ice.  I appreciate any insight you guys may have.  Thanks!!

Offline JayWirth

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: First NY Trip
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2019, 10:06 AM »
Chenango Co
Everyone has a responsibility to not only tolerate another person's point of view, but also to accept it eagerly as a challenge to your own understanding. And express those challenges in terms of serving other people. Arlo Guthrie

Offline builder

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • don't get drug in
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2019, 07:36 PM »
I’m from Shamokin Pa. I’m up northern ny now till Wednesday. Plenty of ice and panfish up here. Check small water Jefferson and st Lawrence river

Offline jschmitt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2019, 07:57 PM »
Depends where you're coming from I guess.  East or west.  I grew up in PA so i'm willing to help but im not sure where you're coming from. 

Offline chuck22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2019, 01:44 AM »
I’ll be doing the same thing this year haven’t fished New York since I was 10 years old but haven’t the slightest clue where to start it’s about 4 hr drive up to Oneida for me that’s where I was really hoping to go but I don’t have a machine so I’ll be pulling my flipover is that something that’s doable or do you need to use a machine to get to good fishing

Offline Zern

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2019, 06:24 AM »
Looks good for safe ice on Sodus bay by the 19th. Sodus point is a resort town during the summer. Not sure how much of it is open during the winter. Might even be a B&B close by. Last year was a hot bite for perch.
"Not One Step Back!"- General Leopold
May Your Blades Never Dull!

Offline jschmitt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2019, 12:32 PM »
Chuck,  I do it without a machine and the drag on Oneida is fine.  It takes a while to get out but is doable when there isn't snow on the ice. I usually am dragging my ten year old on the sled on the way back though and that's a little rough.

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2019, 05:59 PM »
Adirondacks have plenty of ice!

Offline herrup92

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2019, 08:23 AM »
We're coming from just below State College, so if we could keep to it a 4-5 hour drive or so that'd be great.  But I have no issues going farther to find better fishing.  Thanks for the suggestions!

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2019, 08:52 AM »
I think you would like Oneida. There are lots of places where you can walk out from and get to good fishing.  The only time ou would absolutely need a machine is when their is a lot of snow on the ice. Sous is another good option as mentioned. Easy walk to fish, but you will catch basically nothing but perch. Not to say it is possible to get an eye or pike, just too many perch to weed through. 

Offline Gravel Lizzard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2019, 09:36 AM »
If it's panfish you are looking for try Canadarago Lake or Little Lakes in Richfield Springs. The are close together and offer good fishing for perch and crappie. It's close to Cooperstown so there are plenty of places to stay.

Offline herrup92

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2019, 12:22 PM »
If it's panfish you are looking for try Canadarago Lake or Little Lakes in Richfield Springs. The are close together and offer good fishing for perch and crappie. It's close to Cooperstown so there are plenty of places to stay.

That sounds pretty good.  As long as I can put the ol lady on some fish, she's happy.  How's the ice lookin?

Offline Gravel Lizzard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2019, 03:27 PM »
11-12 inches of ice, however, it looks like we're in for a winter storm Saturday night with over a foot of snow. >:(

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2019, 03:35 PM »
11-12 inches of ice, however, it looks like we're in for a winter storm Saturday night with over a foot of snow. >:(

Theres NO 11 to 12 inches on Canadarago..  0 to 6 inches in some spots..
So called little lakes,  north side has open water in the outlet . South side  is plenty good... 
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline spoof

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2019, 05:02 PM »
Try the Fingerlakes.... Honeoye and some of the smaller FLs are frozen and have good fishing.  Its close to you and a beautiful area!!

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2019, 05:58 PM »
You guys work at the local Camber of Commerce's ???   ;)

Offline herrup92

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2019, 09:48 PM »
Been leaning towards staying in Cooperstown since there’s a few options within a short drive and the town seems nice. But this weather may be a game changer. I know you guys handle the roads and stuff better just not totally sure about the impending foot or two in the forecast. I’m guessing the whole state is fixing to get pounded similar to northern PA?

Offline Gravel Lizzard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:06 AM »
Sorry, about the ice report. I was referring to Young's lake (Little Lakes). Canadarago has 6 inches. Otsego has just locked up and some people are fishing the State Park. Not sure how thick! Good Luck!

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:22 AM »
Goodyear lake is another choice that's in the area.
I live back in the woods you see

Offline herrup92

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:12 PM »
Tentative plan is to get up there early Saturday morning til the weather stops us. If we get the amount of snow they’re talkin about will there be any issues getting down the road towards home Tuesday? I’m guessing it should get cleaned up by then

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.