New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Silver lake  (Read 24267 times)

Offline mcperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Silver lake
« Reply #90 on: Jan 20, 2015, 08:24 PM »
Well about 6 years ago I fished Standpipe Road and as I was Pail hopping I kept seeing piles of dink Perch between 3-5 inches on the ice the piles had at least 25-30 in them and I seen at least 7 different piles I don't know what that was all about other then feeding Crows !!!!
McPerch

Offline thumbburn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #91 on: Jan 21, 2015, 07:25 AM »
lots of dinks... use to catch a lot of good ones ten years ago

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #92 on: Jan 21, 2015, 11:48 AM »
Cold feet u ever have any luck in the winter for eyes? I have my spots for summer but never ventured to em in the winter. Usually just chase crappies,gills and northern but if we get good ice Im hoping to jig one up this year.

Yeah I got a few spots. for winter Eyes. Its not fast and furious but they are there. they are always on the move I will tell you that much. Another thing is they have plenty of food base. Don't think you will go out like Onieda and slam a limit of fish. But more like pick a couple here and there. On a last note when they want to eat there is no fooling around they will just slam you hard.

Offline Silverlakeslammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #93 on: Jan 23, 2015, 03:48 PM »
Anyone recently been to silver? Been wondering what the water clarity is?

Offline mcperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Jan 23, 2015, 08:11 PM »
Water murky , caught about 40 dink perch and 13 that were 10in very hard to catch used homemade jigs non glow with the WIFE'S fingernail polish , purple with silver specks on one side , orange with black specks on the other ,then  hit some nice gills 9 1/2in right in the weeds won't be out again until Sunday I have to KILL some coyotes tomorrow
McPerch

Offline 32degrees

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Jan 23, 2015, 08:46 PM »
Great post. coodfeet
 Silver was my go to Walleye lake in summer's the end of 00's early 10's as well for good sized winter Perch.After Conesus dried up on Walleye for me in the early 00's 80+ fish/yr(have a place on the lake).Silver Walleye stocking was stopped by NYDEC in hopes to verify natural reproduction sometime late 90's and a decade later it showed,hard fishing for a limit at best. Don't know have any new stockings occurred?   Walleye stocking = Quality Perch

Haven't even bothered with this lake in the last 4 years.

Silver Lake - Known as -" Home of the Dinks".

Offline bills25

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Jan 24, 2015, 02:07 AM »
I've only fished this lake once just got a boat a few years ago and went to silver last year.  Didn't catch any big fish so decided to fish for panfish, and got on a school of very nice bluegill and out of those fish caught the biggest bluegill I've ever caught didn't get a length or weight but I measures on my battery and it was the length of the battery which is the size of a car battery.

Offline davile

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Jan 24, 2015, 04:13 AM »
A bluegill??????

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #98 on: Jan 24, 2015, 08:59 AM »
32 Degrees

I had a camp on Silver back in the 80's I've been fishing that lake a little before that. People here want to argue facts that this lake isn't fished out. In one respect they are right there are tons of fish in that lake but when a fish reaches a respectable size its harvested. What's a respectable size? Bigger than a Dink? Perch keeper on Silver is what 7" now? Gill keeper is 6" or so? Come on lets get real with the harvesting. Does harvesting bigger breeder hurt? No because the Dinks are breeding but we are over harvesting better fish. Say what you want when you fish this lake now you see maybe 200+ huts many guys go out to take and get a meal what would be the harvest of fish per day from this lake? who really knows right? Years back when Conesus was on fire if you saw 50 guys on all of Silver per day that was a lot. Perch fishing you could not keep them off the hook not like today where you need to work for every fish. Has the body of water changed? No still the same thing as it was from the 1990's  But I feel that fishing pressure has put a hurt on this lake as it has on many others.  Basically due to improvements in our methods of fishing. The huts we used have made it comfortable to sit out on the ice on super cold windy days. The heaters we use The electronics you name it it all has improved our fishing. Thus with those improvements also improves fish catch rates. Lets just ask how long does it take for a fish to reach a decent mature size? Lots depend on habitat such as food base growing season and fishing pressure. If you continually take out what we consider a edible size fish eventually you run out of that fishes year class and anything before that year class too leaving the next year class and year after which is smaller fish correct? So eventually all you see is short fish. The only fish species that's holding its own is the Crappies because NYS put a 10" harvest limit on them along with a 25 fish a day harvest limit. Even with that I have seen the Crappies on this take a big down swing. Spring time fishing years ago would reward us with some real hog Crappies and numbers to boot. But you also did not want to ruin things and kept only what you would eat. Other nay sayers who feel that Fishermen have not hurt this lake only have comebacks of This lake isn't fished out there are plenty of fish. Well where are those plenty of keeper size fish? Where are those 10" Perch? how many bucket fulls of them have they caught this year? They are right the lake has plenty of fish but fishermen take those almost keeper size Perch and Gills because they can. Those are my thoughts and I will stand by them until I hear a better explanation why this lake or others haven't produced the fish we had years ago.

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #99 on: Jan 24, 2015, 09:35 AM »
Very well put, I agree to that exactly. :bow:   My dad brought me to Silver in the mid 6o's starting me when I was 4, we used dowel rods with Dacron line for our poles [ no flashers ,no fancy jigs ] and we caught nice big perch and gills out deep but only enough for a couple meals.
   We didn't pound them day after day taking our limit also there were only a hand full of fisherman then.    I've caught nice fish there up to about 2006-2008 but its really gone down hill...               
                                                                         Technology & Greed
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline fishfry95

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #100 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:16 AM »
Amen

Offline SKUNK-MASTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Jan 24, 2015, 11:04 AM »
so my question is......where are the good ole days...now?      its not that i disagree, but it seems like talk of doom and gloom on the reports from conesus sodus silver the ponds in greece cuba???????    other than oneida  where is the water where pics get taken and guys have weekends they remember forever???? oh dont forget irondeqoiut

Offline zadvorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gobi Dick sank my boat!
« Reply #102 on: Jan 24, 2015, 11:27 AM »
Silver is not a fertile lake to begin with.  With little input of water to resupply it with o2 during the winter and a thermocline the stratifies the lake all warm water season; thus making the lower water column below 10' uninhabitable, it is little surprise that the lake can't handle heavy fishing.  Add on enhanced nitrogen runoff from the modern fertilizers as well as the manure based fertilizers and you have a lake ready for the killing.  Fisherman do make an impact, but are only part of a larger assault on the population of fish on the lake.  Chautauqua is pretty big and has enough year round o2 levels, yet the fertilizer and sewage runoff into the lake feed a crippling algae bloom that wipes out the o2 and causes a mass die off.  When the algae dies, it make a layer of rotten material on the bottom, this uses up all the o2 in the area and eventually causes the ANAEROBIC bacteria to take over.  Botulism sets in and more things die.  Cayuga sees the same thing.  I grew up there and have seen the change happen.  The fishing pressure is the visible side of a greater problem.
If life were easy everybody would have one.

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #103 on: Jan 24, 2015, 02:51 PM »
The fishing pressure is the visible side of a greater problem.

Although I can agree with that statement, I am not so sure about the water being uninhabitable below 10 feet.   I catch GOBS of fish below that, and even below 20 feet, in all four seasons.
"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #104 on: Jan 24, 2015, 05:48 PM »
Zadvorney

I agree this lake and many others suffer major algae blooms in fact Silver also is having problems with the dreaded Blue Algae. Does Silver have a depleted 02 level. I doubt it although some claim yes. I fish this lake enough to know you get plenty of fish deep both summer and winter. The hills around Silver have been there from the beginning the one major farm on the West shore also has been there for years Manure running into this water shed? Not happening they have a lagoon and are not really allowed to dump on fields draining into the lake. This lake also has all its homes and cottages tied into a public sewer system unlike it was in the 80's. So in reality the pollutants that fertilized the weeds are long gone although the weeds thrive in this lake and many others in NY. What is happening is siltation. These lakes are slowly filling in Silvers inlet creek at one time was a easy navigation with any boat. unlike today where you bottom out 300 yards from the mouth out into the lake itself. The weeds are pushing out deeper and every year they die off the  remnants decompose and add to siltation. You really are spot-on on this but there is a lot more to this that I feel is being missed by the DEC. What can be done? God only knows would Dredging help? I think it could but also removing the silts you need to replace a fish habitat for eggs such as some vegetation and a rock rubble areas for the other fish such as the Walleyes and SM Bass. Etc. Slowly our lakes are dying they all do eventually. Do we need to have stronger laws enforced?  Such as lower Limits or size limits or maybe a closing of ice fishing for a couple years? Boy I sure hope not but maybe put a little self control on ourselves.

Wizzard

those days in the 2000 were damn good fishing. Nice size fish for sure some pushing 12" Not a lot of fish but enough for a meal or two.  It was way too short lived it was like we saw a ok fishery turn into a excellent fishery and the internet told it. I remember seeing those days where hundreds of guys showed up on this lake and pounded the hell out of it day in day out. Those bigger fish were gone in a short time like maybe 3 years? Do I think they got fished out? I sure do there was no fish kill in that lake and the pike didn't eat them all that's for sure. all I know is it is pretty sad we do not see this ourselves and regulate ourselves but need to wait till the DEC steps in. and with pan fish I don't expect to see that happen. 

Offline Shouldabeenhereyesterday

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Jan 24, 2015, 05:58 PM »
Lol fished out

Offline Shouldabeenhereyesterday

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #106 on: Jan 24, 2015, 06:03 PM »
And just cuz this lake gets pressure through the ice means nothing, the other 9 months of the year it's normal to pull in the launch and have only a handful of boats out.  I love how all the people who fish this lake even a few dozen times a year come to these great conclusions about a fished out lake to make themselves feel better for their lack of success.  Ask anyone who fishes this lake year round on a regular basis, it is far from dead, sure just about every other lake is better, but it's a small over-sized farm pond...that is FULL of fish

Offline Precheye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #107 on: Jan 24, 2015, 06:15 PM »
Age old question with silver lake and if it can handle fishing pressure

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #108 on: Jan 24, 2015, 06:22 PM »
Ron I forgot to give my 02 on your question lol not that anyone wants to hear it though. Fishing and the good old days..  Memories are built on having fun Those good old days saw plenty of days not catching fish too problem is we try not to remember them. We remember the days of catching a 15 lb Pike or our first 18" Bass or one of my best memories is my sons face at night reeling in his biggest Walleye a solid 10lber on Silver Lake in fact. The look on his face when those big Marble Eyes reflected off our head lamps. Those are good old days.  Memories of me as a kid with all the neighbors fishing creek chubs down at 18 mile creek in Boston. Or the first time we started catching big Smallies out of 18 mile creek. Those are Good old days. The Good old days also Not so good were coming off the ice on Silver back in the 80's and having a foot of ice give way under my feet sending into the drink in 20 FOW. Or having some clown swamp my boat in the summer while I was trolling. I will say though any time fishing will be good old days eventually for everyone. We just got to enjoy any form of fishing you can. For many its watching a kid hang on while a 15 lb Carp has its way with them. Or watching a kid or ourselves for that matter catch Bullheads in the spring on UL rods.  Good old days might not be reeling in our favorite fish or slaying Perch and Gills but you can make some great memories fishing what we can One of my good old day memories was not really catching lots of fish or big fish for that matter but  being on a trip up in the Adirondacks 5 of us most of the guys 50+ years old Sitting on shore catching Crappies as stupid as it is as a boat would go by and the waves crashed the shore each guy would rock back and forth like we were sitting in a boat getting slammed by wakes.  Picture 5 guys in unison rocking back and forth and slowly stopping only to do it again when another boat passed. We had the people in the boats wondering WTH we were doing. It probably looked stupid but that's one memory I will go to my grave with you just had to be their. Those are Good old days.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #109 on: Jan 24, 2015, 06:35 PM »
I can say this I don't lack in the success of catching fish on this lake No brag I spent lots of time learning it. It is finicky at times but fish can be caught. I don't say its fished out because there are millions of fish in it but will go back to size again. and year class. These dinks that are caught are not 10 year old fish stunted because of water temp or lack of forage for them to grow. How many time do you see those fish blowing out blood worms? their guts are full of them so they are eating quite well. So with all of that going for the fish Question is where did those 10 to 12 " Perch go from the 2006 era?

luv2fish2

« Reply #110 on: Jan 24, 2015, 08:19 PM »
read the article in the ny outdoor's this edition by dave genz very good info that highly pertains to the fishing pressure on this lake it's almost like it was about this specific lake and yes i have fished this lake for almost 35 years it used to be on ny top stocking list for walleye's maybe predators weeding out some of the smaller perch helped keep perch population ( stunting)in order   then they went to honeye . seems might be alot of planets aligning against silver . fishing pressure , sedimentation , loss of predators and mismanagement  and they do spread liquid manure right bfore the state park same side of the lake.  hope mother nature helps us out  :'(

Offline 32degrees

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #111 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:35 PM »
Thanks cold feet & wizard & others, a lot of incite per local knowledge.That lake was prime for the picking and that it was.Still think that more Walleye stockings could make a difference in the Perch size? Seemed to somehow be linked together. Funny thing was most of the winter eye's taken were full of juvenile Crappies.

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #112 on: Jan 25, 2015, 07:57 AM »
They spread manure by the tanker full all over the Silver Lake drainage.  Then there's the fertilizer and pesticides used by the farms and country club, untreated sewage by some cottages not upgraded, leaves and debris tossed in by cottage owners in spring and fall............it goes on and on.

Offline Jennie49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #113 on: Jan 25, 2015, 08:44 AM »
Seems all the Dave Genz clones have been pretty quiet on the R & C board lately. The reports of "I did poorly are up". Maybe its mums the word and reports of bad fishing is a ploy to keep the thundering herd away  :unsure:. I doubt it, people love boasting the latest catch, A select few can zip it, the majority must earn their stripes by posting proudly and loudly its how it rolls. I will not try to wow anyone with my environmental knowledge on eutrification or the affects of 100s if not 1000s of guys plucking limits of bluegills. I will say, the parties over...for now. Is the lake fished out? Go ask SHOULDABEENHEREYESTERD AY. He has been screaming til his face turned purple and stomping his feet that it is in fact NOT FISHED OUT. I agree with him, it is not fished out. Is Silver Lakes knees buckled? Absolutely. Is she dead? not a chance...What does this mean? it means next years Herd will be thinned a bit on the lake. Did You See Mayville yesterday???  :o

Offline buckskinner14530

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Jan 25, 2015, 02:53 PM »
this lake is not fished out. i have lived and fished on this lake over 45 yrs i get fish in the middle of July in 30' of water. this lake is spring fed by many springs the o2 levels are good through out the lake. I think the spots have changed were you get the better fish. and most people just do not but the time in to find them fishing presser will move fish as we all know. but most people just go back to the same old spots and say there are no fish left. just my 2 cents.

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I have been on top of the world, and theres no ice
« Reply #115 on: Jan 25, 2015, 03:00 PM »
NO NO NO....it IS fished out. I started my assult a few years back...Its best if you all just stay away.....far far away.

Offline Jennie49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #116 on: Jan 25, 2015, 03:16 PM »
this lake is not fished out. i have lived and fished on this lake over 45 yrs i get fish in the middle of July in 30' of water. this lake is spring fed by many springs the o2 levels are good through out the lake. I think the spots have changed were you get the better fish. and most people just do not but the time in to find them fishing presser will move fish as we all know. but most people just go back to the same old spots and say there are no fish left. just my 2 cents.

Soooooooooooooo, fish that like shallow weedy areas and that have been there for countless years just pull up shop and relocate? Your also trying to convince the jury that an area that normally has literally 1000s of mature sized fish for the masses to enjoy has simply been vacated to the point of virtual nonexistence? Again, I am not a marine biologist nor an environmental science expert. But the jury has gathered the facts and believes that the good portion of these fish have ended up as products of smile creating photobucket material. With im sure a good portion have fallen to victim of laziness and into landfill. The good news is as the fishing grows to be more challenging the elbow room grows exponentially on saturday afternoon......Have You seen Mayville this year??? lol

Offline buckskinner14530

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #117 on: Jan 25, 2015, 03:30 PM »
yes fish that are pressured will move to deeper water or cover. or just not bite. and with all the cold fronts moving through every other day it has more to do with the bad fishing this year. because it is happening on a lot of lakes not just silver. ps some of my best gills on this lake have come from deep water. not shallow weedy.

Offline Jennie49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #118 on: Jan 25, 2015, 03:37 PM »
yes fish that are pressured will move to deeper water or cover. or just not bite. and with all the cold fronts moving through every other day it has more to do with the bad fishing this year. because it is happening on a lot of lakes not just silver. ps some of my best gills on this lake have come from deep water. not shallow weedy.

Alrighty then.

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #119 on: Jan 25, 2015, 04:47 PM »
The gills are somewhere.   During the spawn the past couple years, you see hordes of big ones in the shallows like every other year.   If all the mature fish have been taken, why aren't we seeing all the dinks left behind on the camera or sight fishing?   I have not been there this year, but last year I would drill a dozen or two holes over the course of many hours and not see a single fish on the camera, big or small.   This tells me they are not there, at least where I was.   I believe some years they settle into the areas we like to fish, and some years they don't.    Who knows the factors than might contribute to this?  Environmental?  Man made?  Both?

How many times have the fish been on fire in the SE corner while the SW corner is void of fish all together, then two weeks later it flip flops?    What's to say they don't vacate both corners for whatever reason?

My guess is it is food related, as most all fish movements are.   Perhaps their food source in the shallows is not present for some reason.
"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.