The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Eskimo Shark z51 issues  (Read 5421 times)

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Eskimo Shark z51 issues
« Reply #30 on: Jan 03, 2017, 09:16 PM »
Sometimes I call Eva just to chat.  It's cathartic. 

Seriously though....their responsiveness to questions/concerns is unreal.  Knock on wood, I haven't had any issues yet but when I bought my auger I wanted to be 100% certain that I was following break-in and storage procedures the way they needed to be followed.  A call over there and they walked through everything and were even honest enough to tell me what issues they have come across with the same model of auger I have.  Because of this, I have since picked up an Earthquake (made by Ardisam, same as Eskimo) chainsaw and garden tiller.  Sure, there are "better" chainsaws and tillers on the market but I know that if I have a problem I'll be working with a company that will have my back. 

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #31 on: Jan 03, 2017, 09:57 PM »
I've never had a problem getting through, over many years, and I've called them many, many times for parts for the augers I was fixing. (Mostly due to stupidity) Some folks just seem to have bad luck or something... :-\
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Jan 04, 2017, 12:15 PM »
I've never had a problem getting through, over many years, and I've called them many, many times for parts for the augers I was fixing. (Mostly due to stupidity) Some folks just seem to have bad luck or something... :-\
Bad luck and or just rough on their stuff.
<===Lefty===

Offline hanesie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 04, 2017, 08:11 PM »
Well it was less than 24 hours and Eva called me back- she was very helpful and seems very smart and knowledgeable

She told me that my issue may be in the throttle and told me to follow the cable all the way over to where it connects through like a gold barrel nut. That screw and the throttle adjust screw on top can be played with to get the power that I need and to get it from hopefully bogging down at the start of throttling and during drilling. I am going to play w them tomorrow and see how it goes

I forgot to ask but I believe the auger should not be rotating at idle correct ?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:26 AM »
No it should not rotate until you give it throttle. Mine moves a little but it does not rotate in a circle. It will move more if you have the choke on though.
<===Lefty===

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #35 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:20 AM »
They will when brand new until the clutch "seats" and wears in.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:56 AM »
They will when brand new until the clutch "seats" and wears in.
Yes sir mine did and I was worried about it until I got on this fine board and found out it was OK.
<===Lefty===

Offline hanesie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 05, 2017, 05:19 PM »
So I should screw the throttle screw down a little bit then til the auger rotates a little on idle ? I had it tightened down a bit last night and it was rotating on idle with the lever in the run position- the auger did rip pretty good and did not really bog when I had it in that position but I thought I was doing something wrong when it was rotating without me giving it gas

I also ran some sea foam in it tonight I added a little more to the gas tank and ran it for 10min and shut it off so hoping that cleans it out a little too

I have the new air line grommet and fuel line kit coming hopefully Monday to solve that issue as well- tired of my gas leaking when I have I on its side

Thanks for all your help again guys just want this thing to run like it did when it was new

HOw long do they take to break in- I know mine is over 5 years old but I bet it hasn't drilled 400 holes yet - being from PA we don't always have ice

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Jan 06, 2017, 07:15 AM »
Break in is a good question maybe someone might know on here but Eskimo for sure could tell you the answer. You do run it at full throttle while drilling right?
<===Lefty===

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #39 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:01 AM »
If it's 5 years old, it was broken in about 4 years ago.

Offline hanesie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 12, 2017, 06:27 PM »
Just installed a new fuel line kit with the grommet that goes into the gas tank- no more leaks

I adjusted the throttle screw and the idle screw as Eva told me but mine must be different bc it spins like crazy without even touching the throttle - I have a call in to Eskimo hoping they get back to me tomorrow with an answer on maybe some kind of direction to go with adjustment to get it to run right - may be in for a new carb according to the guy in the phone

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.