The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Burbot  (Read 1859 times)

Offline rgwaldron

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walleye fisherman
Burbot
« on: Dec 11, 2023, 11:09 AM »
What's the best lake in Wyoming for burbot? I went to the burbot bash last year at flaming gorge but was far from successful.  I wasn't really sure what to look for and I don't have anything to get around with like a snow machine or snow dog so I'm only good for a mile or two from a launch point. The few I caught were delicious and I'd love to catch more if anyone could offer any advice or spots. The closer to Colorado the better. I wish we had them down here.

thanks,

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
Re: Burbot
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2023, 03:03 PM »
Flaming gorge is still your best option. Or you can try fontenelle. I would suggest just switching locations at the gorge to something different.

Shameless plug- here’s a video I did at the gorge catching burbot. It’s also the best night I’ve ever had so don’t think it’s easy! I like setting up where the cliffs start to give way to a sloping bank. A lot of people like being right by the cliffs in the steep stuff and evidently do good, but I don’t…

i=yL2CVgVbyY07S_pP

Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline musclewhitefish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2023, 03:29 PM »
Generally speaking tournaments are tougher to catch them.

So many people on the ice drilling a ton of holes which means there is a ton of bait in the water.

Generally, first safe ice is one of the better times to go and catch them.

The Gorge, Fontenelle, and Boysen would be the big three to try.

Offline Hillsfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2023, 09:53 PM »
I have never caught a burbot myself, but it is certainly on my bucket list.  Someday I want to come over and give it a shot (I am in the SD Black Hills).  So, any advice is welcome!  As always, awesome video Trent! 

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2023, 09:14 AM »
I have never caught a burbot myself, but it is certainly on my bucket list.  Someday I want to come over and give it a shot (I am in the SD Black Hills).  So, any advice is welcome!  As always, awesome video Trent!

Thank you!
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline rgwaldron

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walleye fisherman
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2023, 11:43 AM »
Hey Hillsfisher,

Any good walleye lakes up there? I keep waiting for the walleye lakes to freeze here in Colorado and Wyoming but it's not looking good. I may have to venture farther away. I have yet to catch a walleye through the ice but haven't done it yet.

I typically catch all my walleyes in Pueblo Reservoir, which doesn't freeze, but I only have a kayak and I'm adverse to taking it out in the cold water.

Offline Hillsfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2023, 09:00 PM »
Not a lot of options for walleye in the Hills.  Angostura Reservoir is the best in the area, but it does not freeze well, especially this year...  The state has been stocking two lakes (Sheridan and Stockade) with walleye for the past few years but catch reports are low.  I catch one here and there while fishing for something else but truthfully have not targeted them. 

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2023, 08:50 AM »
Orman near Belle Fourche can be good and Keyhole on the WY side are okay walleye pounds. If you wanted to for sure catch walleye look at the Missouri River impoundments.  Not much further of drive
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline brownb56

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2024, 01:59 AM »
Boysen is a good option for burbot if you are looking for trophy size.
Teach a man to fish and he will have food for life, teach a woman to fish and he will be happy for life.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2024, 05:39 AM »
Must be pretty common there? Ling Cod/burbot
We have caught them up past Toronto and don't get as many, but they seemed thicker.
The Canadians would trade lakers and Walters for these thing.
I can recall grabbing my 1st one to unhook it and it grabbed me back.
Odd stuff! :woot:
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2024, 09:01 AM »

The Canadians would trade lakers and Walters for these thing.
I can recall grabbing my 1st one to unhook it and it grabbed me back.
Odd stuff! :woot:

a bit of an overgeneralization eh?  ;D Certainly not me. Some folks here in Ont say they taste like cod???. As someone who grew up on the East Coast all I can say is they have never tasted fresh cod!! ::)

If I catch one, which I try to avoid, my bud usually takes it. 
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2024, 07:55 PM »
a bit of an overgeneralization eh?  ;D Certainly not me. Some folks here in Ont say they taste like cod???. As someone who grew up on the East Coast all I can say is they have never tasted fresh cod!! ::)

If I catch one, which I try to avoid, my bud usually takes it.

Well… they are cod.  Ever noticed the barbel on their chin? Personally, I think they taste pretty good, not as good as walleye or perch, but fresh, they are delicious.

Offline Mr. Gills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2024, 09:58 AM »
Like Dorado stated, they are a cod.  Delicious too!  We much prefer burb to walleye and perch.  It is a dense and very firm meat that can be used to create some insanely delicious soups and chowder.  It is very different than most white meat fish and should be used in different ways.  Breaded and fried I like walleye better, but poached or in soup... you can't use other freshwater fish and get the same results you would get with burb.  The carcasses make some of the most delicious stock you can get your hands on.  Makes a hell of a miso soup base.  I almost forgot another favorite, poached burb meat used in place of crab makes some killer "ling cakes". 

Seen mentions of boysen and other lakes for burbot.  Boysen is chock full, but they are usually on the small side, same goes for flaming gorge.  I wouldn't waste my time cleaning a sub 20" burb.  There are lots of good options for larger fish in the state.  Bighorn res, rez lakes, several rivers, pilot butte, big sandy (needs a few years), the font, and others. 

Burbot like the deepest areas of lakes combined with any sort of current. They only come to the shallows to feed (sometimes) and spawn.  This equates to them spending very small amounts time in shallow water throughout their adult lives.  Deep is relative to the body of water.  They (unlike most fish)  can tolerate and thrive in near zero percent dissolved oxygen environments.  Sorry for the long winded response, but they super cool fish!  😎   

Offline rgwaldron

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walleye fisherman
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2024, 11:03 AM »
I've only had a few small ones, but they were delicious. I would love to get some big ones, but looks like I'm going to have to make a long drive from Colorado Springs. If anyone has any well known waypoints to share I'd appreciate it. I don't want anyone's secret spots....

Offline perkhunter1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2024, 05:07 PM »
Bighorn Res and Boysen are both good.  That's a long way from Colorado though.

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2024, 05:58 PM »
Boysen is not a good choice for Burbot. I live next door to the lake and spend lots of time fishing it with live bait and jigs through the ice. The ice derby is normally  won with one under 4 lbs and I got first with  2 lb 13 oz one year.  The last one I caught over 6 lbs was in 1982 9 +lbs and my biggest was in 1980 and was 14 lbs.
olefish

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2024, 07:51 PM »
Like Dorado stated, they are a cod.  Delicious too!  We much prefer burb to walleye and perch.  It is a dense and very firm meat that can be used to create some insanely delicious soups and chowder.  It is very different than most white meat fish and should be used in different ways.  Breaded and fried I like walleye better, but poached or in soup... you can't use other freshwater fish and get the same results you would get with burb.  The carcasses make some of the most delicious stock you can get your hands on.  Makes a hell of a miso soup base.  I almost forgot another favorite, poached burb meat used in place of crab makes some killer "ling cakes". 

Seen mentions of boysen and other lakes for burbot.  Boysen is chock full, but they are usually on the small side, same goes for flaming gorge.  I wouldn't waste my time cleaning a sub 20" burb.  There are lots of good options for larger fish in the state.  Bighorn res, rez lakes, several rivers, pilot butte, big sandy (needs a few years), the font, and others. 

Burbot like the deepest areas of lakes combined with any sort of current. They only come to the shallows to feed (sometimes) and spawn.  This equates to them spending very small amounts time in shallow water throughout their adult lives.  Deep is relative to the body of water.  They (unlike most fish)  can tolerate and thrive in near zero percent dissolved oxygen environments.  Sorry for the long winded response, but they super cool fish!  😎

OK, guys. Mostly I was laughing about the over generalization re CDNs and burp-ups. Technically cod, I guess, but then I guess Fifi your pet poodle is technically a wolf! Being from Colorado, my guess is that you have never tasted fresh real cod i.e those from the ocean.

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2024, 08:20 PM »

OK, guys. Mostly I was laughing about the over generalization re CDNs and burp-ups. Technically cod, I guess, but then I guess Fifi your pet poodle is technically a wolf! Being from Colorado, my guess is that you have never tasted fresh real cod i.e those from the ocean.

Grew up near the ocean, caught and ate lots of cod.  They are actually considered the least desirable bottom fish.  I don’t think Burbot are that much different.  Give me a flounder, rockfish or halibut any time🤣

Offline Mr. Gills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2024, 09:56 PM »
The worms just give halibut and flounder a special taste.  😋

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2024, 06:27 PM »
Grew up near the ocean, caught and ate lots of cod.  They are actually considered the least desirable bottom fish.  I don’t think Burbot are that much different.  Give me a flounder, rockfish or halibut any time🤣

"They are actually considered the least desirable bottom fish." By whom? I didn't get to vote! ;D
The taste of any fish depends largely on their diet. I have been told that cod that have been eating mostly krill are not very tasty. I would pass up anything for the kind of freshly caught cod that I have eaten. Halibut, of course, is a fish that demands a higher price in the markets. I assume that is because they are quite scarce and fishing for them is closed in many(most) areas.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.