Montana > Ice Fishing Montana

Hotdogs for pike

(1/8) > >>

slickice:
Been out 10 times this season for perch & pike and have done really well with the pike by using a hotdog on a tip-up.  I've iced numerous large pike this season and am ready to pickle a few gallon bags of pike loins. This is the 3rd season I've used hotdogs for bait and I'm totally convinced that they out perform most bait other than large live minnows which is illegal in Western MT.  Here's my routine:  Prior to fishing, I microwave the dogs in a zip lock for 20-30 seconds, let cool, then repeat.  The microwaved dog may develop minor splits as it softens, secretes fatty juice and flavor onto the outside of the skin. I bury two hooks into the side of the dog and let the third hang out the side. The pike really go for dogs done this way. This isn't a joke or BS, it really works.  Other "ice-heads" that use hotdogs for pike feel free to offer constructive tips and suggestions. I'm curious to see how many on this forum have tried hotdogs on tip-ups.

PyroZuki:

--- Quote from: slickice on Jan 25, 2024, 11:07 PM ---Been out 10 times this season for perch & pike and have done really well with the pike by using a hotdog on a tip-up.  I've iced numerous large pike this season and am ready to pickle a few gallon bags of pike loins. This is the 3rd season I've used hotdogs for bait and I'm totally convinced that they out perform most bait other than large live minnows which is illegal in Western MT.  Here's my routine:  Prior to fishing, I microwave the dogs in a zip lock for 20-30 seconds, let cool, then repeat.  The microwaved dog may develop minor splits as it softens, secretes fatty juice and flavor onto the outside of the skin. I bury two hooks into the side of the dog and let the third hang out the side. The pike really go for dogs done this way. This isn't a joke or BS, it really works.  Other "ice-heads" that use hotdogs for pike feel free to offer constructive tips and suggestions. I'm curious to see how many on this forum have tried hotdogs on tip-ups.

--- End quote ---

Well, there goes my upper hand...   ;)

Tight lines,
Pyro

mt-mike:
kosher dogs work the best

mt-mike:
kosher dogs work the best

slickice:
Oscar Mayer's been my go to dog.  Not sure if pike know the kosher quality thing but I'll give it a try.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version